The scent of BlogHer still lingers on my skin

Because I’m totally a follower, I’m going to do what my beloved friend Janet did and NOT post links to every single thing because a) I don’t want to leave anyone out b) I’m stupid and lame and can’t remember every person’s name {even with the help of business cards} c) if you THINK I’m talking about you? I am.

Well, BlogHer.

I went!

I ditched a bunch of parties I had planned to go to.  I didn’t get the swag bags that caused unfortunate amounts of whining…dude, I even gave one of mine away to someone whose plane landed late and she wasn’t there in time.  I ate cheeseburgers for too many of my meals. My grooming went downhill the more conference fatigue set in….sorry for all of you about the lack of bouncy in my hair on Saturday, I just couldn’t be bothered anymore. All that convincing of the husband about how I was going to come back a smarter, savvier blogger because of my time there? YEAH. I went to two panels the whole weekend and I was speaking at one of them.

However, these are the things I learned about conferences.

1.  Tweeting/facebooking/emailing about how I can’t wait to meet you was not sufficient….apparently I needed to be more specific and say “I’d really LOVE to have more than three minutes to spend with you and really get to know the person I’ve talked to so much online.”  I know there are definitely people I have sadface about not getting to spend enough time with, so if for any reason I am one of those people for you, I too wish there’d been more hours in the day.

2.  Shoes suck.  I am wearing flip flops or going barefoot the next time.  I woke up with a wicked headache this morning and I have a sneaking suspicion one of my feet finally got fed up and kicked me in the face.

3.  ALWAYS wear a bra…because the one time you don’t because the straps show under your shirt (planning FAIL on my part) a drunken friend WILL bite you on the boob. OUCH! but forgiven.

4.  Swag.  Holy product mafia!  I wanted certain bags because they had great toys that I could give to my kids, but not enough to smack a baby in the head….STEAL them off tables….or pitch a fit for the rest of the weekend because I didn’t get one.  Can we please remember that the majority of us are there to meet people and reconnect with friends and learn from each other?  Not to pay for flights, rooms and registrations so we can score a sample sized bottle of shampoo. I could have bought a crapload of laundry detergent for how much this conference cost.

5. Cameras…I brought my big mack daddy camera and it never left the room. I snuck my kid’s little point and shoot and took fun pictures and didn’t feel totally weighed down with the hugeness.  So glad I made that choice.

6.  Talk to everyone.  Even if you don’t know them, didn’t plan to know them or even have any idea who they are.  I met some of the most stunning people in the down moments…sharing a lobby couch…waiting for a plane…elevators (I now totally understand why SO much of Grey’s Anatomy takes place on the elevator)…and the *gasp* smoking section.

7.  It’s ok to skip the BIG events to spend quieter quality time with just a few people with whom you’ve just cemented friendships that will last.

8.  It’s totally awesome when a listener at your speaking panel steals the show with a story that breaks your heart and makes you realize WHY you do this in the first place.

9.  Parties.  Oh the parties. The Partaaaays!  Dance like no one’s going to take incriminating photos of you and post them on Flickr.

10.  Pick good roommates.  Roomates that don’t mind if you snore and let you snuggle anyways…the kind of roommates that can pump breastmilk and it doesn’t even bother you. The kind of roommates that will TELL YOU when something does, in fact, make you look fat. The kind of roommate that will leave the room unoccupied because you cannot “make a potty” if you think someone might come in.  I love you, ladies!

And a few final notes.

Dear Readers, whether you read Hope4Peyton, FreeAnissa or Aiming Low you left a thrill in my heart every time one of you were able to mention a site by name. When there are so many awesome writers in the blogosphere, thank you for letting me be a part of your days.  Means the world to me.

Dear Sheraton, THANK YOU for making sure I couldn’t use my computer 80% of the time and my phone practically at ALL…because REALLY? WHY would a thousand bloggers want an internet connection that works…just keep those hamsters running in the wheel, I’m sure it’ll be good enough for the next conference group.

Dear Chicago, your city rocked my socks.

Dear BlogHer, I’m totally drained and exhausted and HOLY CRAP did my laundry load totally quadruple, but you were so worth it.

, ,

61 Responses to The scent of BlogHer still lingers on my skin

1. Issa August 1, 2009 at 4:18 PM #

I am so glad I got to meet you…but yeah, it was a drive by Anissa. Maybe next year? ;)

Tevas. I wore Tevas all weekend. I was the only one in my group of peeps without blisters at the end of the weekend. And? No one noticed.

2. Angie-AmNothing August 1, 2009 at 12:36 AM #

Holy yeses on every damn thing you said.

3. Sugar Jones July 30, 2009 at 3:32 PM #

My favorite take away? Dance like no one’s going to take incriminating photos of you and post them on Flickr. Yeah… apparently, I do that. ;)

Love that we hugged, but next time… MORE!!

4. #Mishi July 30, 2009 at 3:24 PM #

This post, I could have written it! So poignant.

I want to bite your boob. Why wouldn't I? They are fucking delicious looking!

5. Jill July 30, 2009 at 4:31 AM #

I wanted to take a bite out of you in the car to O'Hare, but I was afraid I'd throw up if I opened my mouth. I just wanted to take some part of BlogHer home with me!

• AnissaMayhew July 30, 2009 at 5:36 AM #

ok…that was the weirdest compliment EVER. Sort of sounds like you think the taste of me would make you gag. I sorta like it.

6. themaggers July 29, 2009 at 7:32 PM #

Thanks for all the tips. I'm looking forward to going next year and think it's great to learn from everyone's experiences. I hope to meet you someday soon!

• AnissaMayhew July 30, 2009 at 5:36 AM #

Wear steel-toed boots…just a warning. HEH! NYC, baby!

7. Dan Cohen July 29, 2009 at 5:59 PM #

Dear Peyton, Rachael and Nathaniel (ladies first),

Just wanted to say hi and let you know that I think of you and your family and pray for you and your family all the time.

Hugs…

Dan Cohen
    North Miami Beach, FL
    danco1968@hotmail.com

8. Jessica July 29, 2009 at 5:55 PM #

This is all that I have been hearing about! The swag bag giveaway tussles! Man, what was up?!

• AnissaMayhew July 30, 2009 at 5:35 AM #

dude, go read Amalah's post….it was HER baby that got hit in the head by a swag-seeker. People got so ugly about it all…but me? Just had a good time with good people. I brought home the better thing: really freaking good memories. I can't wait for you to be there next year!

9. georgie July 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM #

IF I had been @ BlogHer YOU would have been THE person I wanted to meet…just saying…out of all the BlogHer posts I have read thus far, i connected most with yours…
    Loved every bit of this post!

• AnissaMayhew July 30, 2009 at 5:34 AM #

wow. WOW. I have read some awesome blogher posts, so that means a TON to me. I just really wanted to share the good of it, not all the trauma hag stories. I loved it and it shows.

10. Allison July 29, 2009 at 5:20 PM #

I might be the one to bite your boob next year. Or make out with you. Just keep me away from tequila and you should be safe!

• AnissaMayhew July 30, 2009 at 5:33 AM #

note to self:

1. Wear thick bra
      2. Bring the Quervo

11. califmom July 29, 2009 at 9:00 AM #

Well said, dear lady. Well said. And for the record, every time I saw you, you looked smokin' hawt. So there!

• AnissaMayhew July 30, 2009 at 5:33 AM #

Be glad you aren't here right beside me right now, cause I would SO tackle you with loves!

12. Carla H July 29, 2009 at 2:52 AM #

It was a totally amazing weekend and I was a newbie. I was in awe most of the time.

• AnissaMayhew July 30, 2009 at 5:32 AM #

Me = newbie too!! It was crazy good, wasn't it? Just overwhelming at times.

13. Asianmommy July 29, 2009 at 12:35 AM #

I agree with #6. Talk to everyone. Everyone I spoke to was so friendly, and I met some amazing people there.

• AnissaMayhew July 30, 2009 at 5:32 AM #

I felt so bad for the people who said they felt too shy to approach others….how much they missed!

14. The Mother Tongue July 28, 2009 at 9:34 PM #

I only got to talk to you for a minute, but still, was great to meet you! And I second the flip-flops. I started out in cute little shoes, but by Saturday night, it was Old Navy flip-flops all the way, baby.

15. Briar - unwellness July 28, 2009 at 8:58 PM #

Is it bad that what I learned from your post was: Smoke at BlogHer10?

• AnissaMayhew July 30, 2009 at 5:31 AM #

um…wait….you may have misunderstood! Just HANG with the smokers….they may have moved from behind the high school gym, but they are still cool kids, even if socially unacceptable.

16. Krystal July 28, 2009 at 8:28 PM #

So awesome that you had a great time!!!! I am glad you enjoyed it and deserved it more than most!!!

17. Mrs4444 July 28, 2009 at 8:17 PM #

My dress got progressively lazy, too. I didn't even wear two of the four dresses I had along for the parties. Nobody really cares, seriously. I enjoyed meeting you; you have a great personality, and I enjoyed your session. But now you have to tell us the #8 story that moved you. I'm pretty sure it wasn't mine, but just in case…

• AnissaMayhew July 28, 2009 at 8:35 PM #

At the very end of our panel, the woman spoke up about how she'd given up a baby for adoption and no one ever knew…but she outed herself about it on her blog and not only did she get amazing support about her decision, but it led to her daughter finding her. Really? *sniff sniff*

18. heather... July 28, 2009 at 7:40 PM #

that smell isn't BlogHer, it's eau de Heather

19. High Impact Mom July 28, 2009 at 7:38 PM #

I second Greis. I luvies u :) Thanks for letting me butcher your name.

• AnissaMayhew July 28, 2009 at 8:33 PM #

*sigh* I think next year I'm just going to forgo trying to correct the pronunciation…I swear I didn't yell at anyone!!

20. MommyGeekology July 28, 2009 at 5:51 PM #

So, so SO glad that I got to meet you and give you a hug, even if it was just for a moment. So, so, SO glad that you actually KNEW who I was when I told you my name! Seriously, it, like, made my entire day. :)

Hope I see you next year :)

• AnissaMayhew July 28, 2009 at 8:33 PM #

NOT know you? Are you kidding me? I was freaking thrilled!

21. AmazingGreis July 28, 2009 at 5:49 PM #

I big puffy pink HEART you! That is all…

XOXO

22. melissa/bostonmama79 July 28, 2009 at 4:54 PM #

glad you had fun! love the way you write…

23. Miss Grace July 28, 2009 at 4:46 PM #

I was barefoot all day Friday and Saturday, which was extra awesome when I was doing things like Appearing to Be Professional. BUAHAHAHAHA just kidding. Barefooting totes rocks. And I'm in love with you something fierce and serious.

• AnissaMayhew July 28, 2009 at 8:32 PM #

I think next year I'll just say it's all a religious a statement…no bra or shoes. Love you too, hotness!

24. tena July 28, 2009 at 3:25 PM #

the room was trashed and my OCD didn't kick in one bit. You fixed me! You made me laugh and feel comfortable in my own skin and I can't thank you enough for that. And for showing me your boobs on a daily basis. Andalasia, the saint!

• AnissaMayhew July 28, 2009 at 8:31 PM #

Andalasia. HA!! Oh those poor guys in the lobby…so confused. But I'm so glad you had as much fun as I did, it was wonderful having you as one of my roomies!

25. Amy@Atlanta With Kid July 28, 2009 at 2:05 PM #

It's refreshing to see an honest view from your experience.

26. sandibenson July 28, 2009 at 2:00 PM #

Loved meeting you, even if oh so very briefly, loved hearing from you on the first panel. You are an awesome writer.

• AnissaMayhew July 28, 2009 at 8:30 PM #

You want to marry me? I totally need someone who loves to hear me get all talkity. LOL! It was tremendous to meet you as well and thank you so much for being a part of our panel. I told everyone that we had the best interaction with the crowd.

27. moosh in indy. July 28, 2009 at 1:14 PM #

I've seen you when you have uninhibited access to wireless, and so yes. I must thank the Sheraton as well for giving you to me.

28. DesignHER Momma July 28, 2009 at 1:05 PM #

Hello #freeanissa – I found you…..
    why do I love you? You make blog conferences fun. We didn't hang out near enough, but it makes me want to come back for more..

• AnissaMayhew July 28, 2009 at 8:29 PM #

I'm working with Kraft to see if they can package me up in bite-sized pieces to take home with you next year! Be sure to be fast and get one before the run OUT. *snort* It was SO good to see your face again.

29. Maya July 28, 2009 at 12:39 PM #

you rock the casba.

Mwah

• AnissaMayhew July 28, 2009 at 8:29 PM #

Dude, am I so tired I forgot rocking the Casbah? I don't even doubt it. XOXOXOX

30. Dave2 July 28, 2009 at 12:24 PM #

I think that I should start complaining that I didn't get any BlogHer swag bags. Never mind that I didn't even go to BlogHer… I just want to feel like I belong, and that seemed to be the trending topic for the event! Nice to hear somebody with a healthier perspective. :-)

• AnissaMayhew July 28, 2009 at 8:28 PM #

Seriously, people are crazed for free stuff…I like the free stuff too, don't get me wrong, but HOLY CRAP! Get a grip. *ahem* there will be a swag bag this weekend, right?

31. AnnetteK July 28, 2009 at 12:20 PM #

I loved having a moment on a couch with you. xoxo

• AnissaMayhew July 28, 2009 at 8:28 PM #

Those really were the best. Not screaming over music was AWESOME!

32. Sarah@Ordinary Days July 28, 2009 at 12:11 PM #

Love your vignettes! Makes me feel like I was there…which I WILL BE next year! Watch out New York! OrdinarySarah is comin'!

• AnissaMayhew July 28, 2009 at 8:27 PM #

Girl, I missed you there and can't wait to see you!! Are you planning for Blissdom this year?

33. Neena July 28, 2009 at 12:05 PM #

so glad I got to meet you! Now I know there are other weirdo bloggers near Atlanta just like me!

xoxo

• AnissaMayhew July 28, 2009 at 8:26 PM #

ATL represent!! I can't wait for us to get organized enough to plan a get-together!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks