There is nothing quite so awesome as getting into a heated rant when the only person who’ll listen is more than willing to say, “Don’t you think you’re being just a LITTLE crazy stupid over-sensitive about this?”

Especially when that person is your spouse.

You promised to love, honor and agree with me in all my ridiculous ravings regardless of the correctness of those beliefs until death do we part….did you not? Oh. Really? I was sure that was in there.  Check the fine print.

Besides the fact that I have a daughter that adores the American Girl dolls and we have spent more than our fair share of cash making sure they stay in business, a small piece of me chafes at them having no real representation of an Asian girl.

Now, if you’re a diehard AG fan, you’ll correct me and say that Ivy is there! Ivy is not even a fully developed character doll, she is there as a “best friend companion” to the Julie series.

Bless her little heart.  Ivy’s character is Chinese-American, she lives in San Francisco and she’s a gymnast.  Really? This is the best they can come up with represent Asian culture? Find THE most stereotypical setting and put her in it?  *and this is the point where I agree with Peter that I probably AM a tad oversensitive*

I believe my exact words during one particular occasion included the words “…and I’ll bet that she plays chess, is good at math and can’t drive worth a damn!”

*ahem*

So, there we are…in the van…driving down the street and I’m halfway through my “WHY couldn’t she be from Missouri?  And her parents could be accountants?  And could she have ANY other life dream other than being a gymnast? MAYBE she could want to be a lawyer!…”

When Peter says, “YOU ARE CRAZY. Pull the van over because obviously you are not mentally fit to drive a vehicle carrying my children. I worry for our lives.”

Which is totally what he said, even though most people would have heard, “Umm, don’t you think you’re being a little over-sensitive about this? Maybe in the 70′s there WERE a lot of Chinese-American girls living in San Francisco that wanted to be gymnasts.  They’re called American Girl dolls…not Korean dolls or Swedish dolls.”

Ok. Well. Good point.

Whatever.

So, I choose to concede that I’m being a little on the irrational side of this issue.  Today.

“You’re right…and they do have an African-American doll set in the time of slavery and they have an American-Indian doll too….”

and my husband says…ARE YOU SITTING DOWN?

“….and let me guess, she can’t hold her liquor.”

And I said the words that most people in my life fear: “I am SO BLOGGING this!”

*************************

If I’m going to be totally inappropriate today, check out THIS gem!I found the only other three Asians at BlogHer, Momisodes Sandy, Karen Meg and Busy Dad Jim and made them take a picture with me! Oh YES I did.  And I told them that in our picture we all had our eyes closed. Heh. Well, except for Sandy. I’m  questioning her Asian-card status.

100_0107

************************************

And as I hope that my husband and I have suffiently offended enough people to cause floods of readers to come pouring in, therefore providing me with enough money to put a down payment down on those shoes Rachael wants for school…I leave you with the reminder to check out the new posts up at Aiming Low!

42 Responses to And someone out there picked me to be a Race and Ethnicity Channel Editor. *snort*

1. Amy@TasteLikeCrazy August 5, 2009 at 3:14 PM #

So your husband and my husband should totally get together for a beer since I have a sneaking suspicion that they would "get" each other and the stress that comes with being married to such awesome women. ;)

2. KarenMEG August 5, 2009 at 2:49 PM #

OMG, you crack me up… glad I made the Asian cut, glasses surely helped (and seriously, you guys MUST be wearing contacts, right? ). What a great shot of us!

You have a very, very valid point. Mind you I did grow up with piano lessons, gymnastics, figure-skating, Chinese school, and workbooks coming out of my ears…but then I was a 70s kid, so I guess I can forgive the folks. My Dad worked in a brewery, so that made up for a lot.

My sister found an Asian baby doll for the girlie… except, it's not quite right. After all, girlie's half-Asian (or half-Aj, however the heck you pronounce that, I learned that term in Vancouver a couple of years ago)… and looks totally like her Dad. Oy.

LOVED meeting you at BlogHer and will definitely stalk you now :) .

3. BusyDad August 4, 2009 at 10:33 PM #

Damn. I REALLY should have brought my ninja suit. That would have made that the perfect picture. SOME stereotypes I can live with. That Asian Invasion pic is so full of awesome, as pupil-less as it was.

4. califmom August 4, 2009 at 1:54 PM #

Well played, my dear. Well played.

5. Ashley Hast August 4, 2009 at 5:31 AM #

The American Indian thing about not holding liquor is *quite* funny…and pretty much true for my family. My Dad is Cherokee, and he can drink like a pro….just can't handle it worth a damn, lol.

6. AnissaMayhew August 4, 2009 at 1:10 AM #

Sweet! definitely will check it out

7. Faiqa August 3, 2009 at 11:57 PM #

Do they even *HAVE* a Pakistani/Indian American Girl Doll? At least you've got one. If we had one, she'd probably be badly dressed and sporting a tear stained face from crying over the arranged marriage her parents were forcing her into at age 12. Snort.

In all seriousness? I don't think you're being oversensitive in the least bit.

And this is my first visit to the new blog… love it!

• AnissaMayhew August 4, 2009 at 1:46 AM #

Thank you!!! I love it here. and NO, they do not have any Indian/Pakistani dolls at all. You can get a generic "like me" doll and they have lots of different nationalities, but nothing that has the books and the whole story line. BOOOO

8. katie ~ motherbumper August 3, 2009 at 11:38 PM #

Holy crow, I met all the Asian bloggers at BlogHer? That's freaky. Can I be an honorary member?

• AnissaMayhew August 4, 2009 at 1:45 AM #

Apparently I missed out on a few….must be because we all look alike.

9. CM's Granddaughter August 3, 2009 at 9:28 PM #

And then Disney FINALLY launches a princess movie with an African-American princess. And? She's a frog for most of the movie.

Yeah.

I'm with you, hon. Totally with you.

• Melanie August 4, 2009 at 1:36 AM #

She's a FROG for most of the movie??? Really? I thought the prince was a frog. Dammit!

10. melissa August 3, 2009 at 7:21 PM #

Only in American can we pay $95 (accessories not included!!!) for a doll that stems this type of debate. I love it. You are hysterical!

• AnissaMayhew August 4, 2009 at 1:17 AM #

And don't forget…$10 to get the doll's hair done. FOR REAL.

11. cindy w August 3, 2009 at 6:13 PM #

Aw, see, this is when it sucks that I'm married to a Brit. Those types of racial slurs (at least in the context of American stereotypes) are totally lost on him. Good thing he's really funny in other respects. Otherwise we'd never have made it past our 2nd date.

• AnissaMayhew August 4, 2009 at 1:16 AM #

do you have to come up with some really snarky Irish slur to throw at him?

12. laprimera August 3, 2009 at 5:39 PM #

I LOVE you, woman! Wait, aren't you Margaret Cho? Bwahahahahaha!!!

• AnissaMayhew August 4, 2009 at 1:14 AM #

I am totally Margaret Cho. I so hope that someday someone walks up to her and says "you know, you look just like ANISSA!"

13. MommyGeekology August 3, 2009 at 5:21 PM #

You're hilarious. I was JUST looking at the American Girl doll collection yesterday, and saw the best friend companion things… and I said to my husband (who didn't care) — WHY don't they make them full-fledged lines? WTF? Cop out! I happen to think the best friends are cooler. But maybe that's just me?

• AnissaMayhew August 4, 2009 at 1:13 AM #

WHAT is that? I love how each girl has a token BEST FRIEND. As it should be, right?

14. Melanie August 3, 2009 at 4:33 PM #

I got the much-coveted Orange Blossom doll at BlogHer. Then we watched the little DVD that came with the Strawberry Shortcake doll. And in that DVD, Orange Blossom is BARELY tinted!!! They didn't even try. I feel ya.

Also, there were at least 3 more Asians at BlogHer! LOL
    @citymama, @asianmommy, @fourthbreakfast ;)

• AnissaMayhew August 4, 2009 at 1:13 AM #

oh. WOW. Asian catch FAIL! Well, i may have seen them but we DO all look alike you know. My roomie totally accosted a random Asian person at the conference. thinking it was me. HEH!

• Melanie August 4, 2009 at 1:37 AM #

I've been confused with Faiqa and at BlogHer was confused with @NYCityMama!!! I know JUST what you mean.

• AnissaMayhew August 4, 2009 at 1:47 AM #

*sigh* It's ok, Tanis (redneck mommy) and Shannon (MrLady) get it all the time too…so it's not just us!

15. Mrs4444 August 3, 2009 at 4:17 PM #

My husband looks at me expectantly whenever he says something funny, like, "So, are you going to blog that?" It's like he's auditioning sometimes. Gotta love the funny men!

• AnissaMayhew August 4, 2009 at 1:11 AM #

My kids do that! "are you going to write about us??"

16. marymac August 3, 2009 at 3:59 PM #

instilling fear in others is why we blog, yes?!
    great post! ;)

17. IzzyMom August 3, 2009 at 3:49 PM #

Did I ever tell you that I grew up believing I was half Asian? I KNOW!!! Totally absurd and also totally true. Me and my lily-white, freckle-faced, extra-tall, faux half-Asian ass…

• AnissaMayhew August 4, 2009 at 1:11 AM #

We could totally be twins. I heard that more than once in chicago. WOW, that Janet and Anissa…I can hardly tell them apart!

18. Mommy Niri August 3, 2009 at 3:44 PM #

Anissa, you have to check out Karito Kids. One of the few places I found dolls or a few cultures (I wish there were more) done very tastefully.

Niri

19. sara August 3, 2009 at 3:41 PM #

I used to love the AG books when I was little. Never got a doll though.

You're hilarious. I think this post just made you my hero!

• AnissaMayhew August 4, 2009 at 1:06 AM #

My parents would have fallen over dead if I asked for a $100 doll. and then laughed in the afterlife about it.

20. momtrolfreak August 3, 2009 at 3:11 PM #

LMAO! Look, I am not Asian, and I don;t even have a girl so I know very little about AG dolls, but I do NOT think you are being overly sensitive because this one time (at band camp) I took a gander at the AG doll lineup and thought the same thing. When they do ethnicity, they do stereotyped ethnicity. I mean, come ON. Ivy is wearing a kimono in almost every picture I've seen of her. I mean, kudos AG for empowering girls, I guess? But maybe think outside the box a little?
    p.s. You and BusyDad were the hottest people at the BlogHerCon. Unfortunately, it was only you who touched my bewbs. (Not complaining, I enjoyed it a great deal.)

• AnissaMayhew August 3, 2009 at 3:52 PM #

I wore a kimono for a Halloween party one time. I told people I was a waitress. They didn't get it.

*sigh*

21. Run DMT August 3, 2009 at 3:00 PM #

LMAO Listen, I can completely relate to your rant because I have made the observations myself about such things. Well, maybe Asian, but I have been known to point out Hispanic stuff to my hubby, who thinks I'm off my rocker too.

I am so glad you found your people at Blogher. :-)

• AnissaMayhew August 3, 2009 at 3:51 PM #

It was like radar…we can always find each other in a crowd *heh*

22. Momisodes August 3, 2009 at 1:55 PM #

ROFL! That's okay. You can totally question my Asian card status because I SUCK at math and I'm tall :) I love that photo of us though! I'm so glad that we had a chance to meet in Chicago.

As for the dolls, tell me about it. A few years ago I searched high and low for an Asian doll for my daughter. After months I finally found a crappy cheap plastic one….in Kmart… in not the greatest neighborhood….on clearance.

• AnissaMayhew August 3, 2009 at 3:44 PM #

The THINGS we do for our kids!!

It was so fun to meet you, I would have LOVED to have had more than three minutes to chat, but holy crow! was that whole weekend like one big long drive-by-helloing or WHAT?

It does my heart good to know that there are others out there who suck at math. It makes me question my legitimacy.

XOXOXOX

23. April August 3, 2009 at 1:33 PM #

ahahahahaha :-) you're awesome.

• AnissaMayhew August 3, 2009 at 3:42 PM #

I am married to blog fodder. It's a gift.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Really, I Could Type Here, But It Would Just Pointless | Aiming Low - August 11, 2009

[...] have had my month’s year’s share of random outburst and semi-inappropriate public displays of [...]