I’m a Blackberry girl, but I will admit to some serious app-envy when the IPhones came out. I would sit around with my friends who owned IPhones watching them plick around from app to app, shaking this and scrolling that. Jealousy is an ugly thing.
But that was really it. I didn’t want it because it was a better phone or because it provided better service…I craved apps. Organization apps, game apps, chat apps, productivity apps. I wanted them.
You want to find thousands of ways to waste your money? There’s apps for that.
Beyond the games and Twitter apps, there’s a functionality to having these apps at hand that make doing without seem archaic. My kids are growing up with information at their fingertips, with a grasp of technology that is almost Jetson-like compared to my childhood.
Apps make the world just a little bit more fun, a little bit easier.
HP decided that if you wanted a printer that was easier and more functional as a stand-alone piece of equipment, they would make apps for THAT.
I already have an awesome HP printer….it’s an All-In-One and totally wireless but it still requires me to sit at the computer and send the printer what I need it to print.
But I got a chance to play with the HP Photosmart Premium with TouchSmart Web while I was at BlogHer and all my threats to steal if off the table were laughed away. I may have even licked it a time or two.
HP gave me all these specs I could share and things I could tell you, but I really have to explain it in my own way:
If a printer and an IPhone had a baby? THIS would be the resulting bundle of joy. A kickass, multi-functional and app-happy baby. I love babies.
Which is really nice. I mean, that thing is slick!
But, what makes this machine stand head and shoulders above the rest? Is THIS:
Using my giddy little fingers in Chicago I was able to scroll through the apps and print off Google Maps, Fandango movie tickets, photos that had been uploaded to Snapfish and HP Creative Studios, coupons from Coupons.com, watch movie trailers and print coloring pages from DreamWorks (do you SEE why I tried to steal this sucker?).
From this one little screen you can download apps from the HP Apps Suite to your little heart’s content, but you can also edit your photos on the spot. You can print directly from your IPhone or PSP (that we don’t have yet but might have to buy just to be sure you really can).
Now, I didn’t even GET one of these beauties as my very own to love and keep. *sigh* BUT!! I get to give one away to a lucky reader.
It’s not even available for sale yet and you’re going to get to win one.
I know. SHUT UP.
So, on with the giving.
How to win:
• Please leave a comment below…HP wants to know what apps you would use with a printer like this…If you were creating an app, what would you make? If you leave an APP suggestion, it will get you TWO entries (for example, I don’t get the Sunday paper, but I’d love to be able to have the sales inserts….they could have those for download and printing JUST the ones I would use. SCORE!)
• Additional entry for Tweeting this contest and leaving the link in a comment – Use @AnissaMayhew in the tweet please!
• You may receive an additional entry by blogging about this contest and leaving a link in the comments
• No duplicate comments.
• Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail.
• You have 48 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be selected.
• The contest dates are 8/28/09-9/8/09.
• Make sure that the e-mail address you leave is correct.