Note: I have never closed comments on a post before, but depending on how this post is received today, I may have to.

I was “asked to leave” a restaurant that will remain unnamed.

I’m not even angry that they asked me to leave because I know it was asked out of respect for the many children running around.

I did, after all, call a man an asshole in my grown-up outside voice.

I know!

And I would apologize to every parent of every child in that place for having said it so loud that heads snapped around hard enough to give whiplash to all.

However, I would sooner douse myself in gasoline and set myself on fire before ever apologizing to the man to whom it was directed.

He’s pretty darn lucky he didn’t go home with a swallowing problem after I punched him in the throat.

I had taken the kids to get food before we went for a swim, and was unlucky enough to sit myself at a booth with a venomous piece of filth at my back.

He wasn’t shy about voicing his opinions on a black president and how our tax dollars are being spent.  I’m not entirely sure that one has anything to do with the other, but whatever.

He was all for just dropping an atomic weapon on all of “them arab countries and that’d take care of the war problem.”

And don’t you try to take away his gun.

I was able to shake it all off with an inner snicker that ignorance really DOES comes in a wonderful variety of shapes and colors….and how my husband was totally correct that stereotypes are often steeped in some truth.

And then he said it.

He said something so ugly that I sat stunned for a moment wondering if there was any way I could have possibly heard him correctly.

“…and wasting all my government money on those stupid classes for retards is useless…they might as well be giving the money TO.TERRORISTS.”

Did he…?

No. He couldn’t have.

Because there is no way he just compared people with special needs to terrorists.

He did not just say he’d rather fund terrorists than fund classes to help the mentally or physically handicapped.

But, any way I worded it in my head, it still came out the same.

My inner snicker fell silent.

My mind flashed through thoughts of my own child, my beautiful cousin with William’s Syndrome and  ALL of my friends who in one form or another have the label of special needs in their lives.

My laughter was replaced with a fury so hot my chest hurt and I got those angry tears….those ones you can’t control and you hate because you’re pretty sure they make you look like a complete wuss.

I turned in my seat and said, “Do you even hear yourself? What you’re saying is so awful that you should be ashamed of yourself!”

The man took one look at me and said, “You need to shut up, you stupid foreigner.”

I snapped.

I could hear it.

Something in the back of my head said “OH HELL NO” and I just totally lost any grasp I had on my Handle-It-Like-An-Adult mechanism.

I stood up.  I leaned over and yelled in his face.

“Even a stupid foreigner like me can tell you’re a completely uneducated asshole!”

Yup.

Right there. In his face.

I sure did.

I’m not proud of it because I hate when people get all curse-y out loud in front of MY kids and make their eyes get all big and they say “oooooh, they said S-H-I-T.”

And that’s when one of the employees came over and said, “I’m going to have to ask you to leave.”

So, I gathered up my kids who were too busy playing to notice that their mama was about to unleash some kung fu on a total douchebag, and we left.

I don’t even feel bad about it.

Except…..

A whole group of parents had to go home and try to explain what an asshole is to their children.

I could have saved them some time by having them all file past that man like an exhibit at the zoo…”Look kids! It’s an asshole. Don’t feed it, though, they bite.”

, ,

148 Responses to It’s never too early to teach your kids how to get thrown out of an establishment with STYLE

1. *lynne* August 21, 2009 at 5:43 PM #

Hi! Found you via @FiveStarFriday's 67th Edition.

Bravo. Bravo. Bravo.

People like that fill me with molten hot rage too… I just swallow it, tho, and just fervently hope that karma gets them sooner rather than later.

Have added you to my RSS feed, btw :)

Cheers,
    *lynne*

2. Stimey August 16, 2009 at 5:18 AM #

Sister, you rock for telling that man he is an asshole. It is unbelievable enough that he would say those things that you overheard, but what he said to your face?! Oh, hell no.

3. IzzyMom August 12, 2009 at 9:47 PM #

How the ever living hell did I MISS this post? Oh, wait…it was posted right before the "N is Turning Nine" Three Day Birthday Extravaganza. Oy.

Well, I'm glad you told him off but I'm not sure that kind of ignorance can be righted without electroshock therapy. Asshole, indeed.

4. Emily August 12, 2009 at 7:08 PM #

I can't believe they asked YOU to leave the restaurant instead of the ignorant ASSHOLE!!!! Good for you for speaking up and I 100% agree with Karen Sugarpants that I'd much rather explain the word "asshole" to my kids!

5. Kimmad August 10, 2009 at 5:00 PM #

GOOD. FOR. YOU. I would have done the same thing, then demanded that he be kicked out too. What a prick!

6. Issa August 7, 2009 at 6:10 PM #

You? Are amazing. Truly. I'm so proud of you. That's all I can say, because applauding and hugging doesn't work so well through a screen.

7. Kristen August 7, 2009 at 5:46 PM #

Good for you! You SHOULDN'T feel bad or apologize for what you said. Whenever I hear someone say something really stupid I always end up feeling like a major dumbass for not commenting, at least you had the balls to say something!

8. ZDub August 7, 2009 at 5:32 PM #

Good. For. You.

You did the right thing, momma!

9. KarenMEG August 7, 2009 at 3:13 PM #

You just calls 'em as you sees 'em, hon.

You've got major balls…. and now I know I love you.

10. Coral August 7, 2009 at 2:00 PM #

Welcome to Georgia. We're better for having you here.

11. Karen August 7, 2009 at 1:58 PM #

You are my new hero. If I'd have heard it I would have *wanted* to do what you did but instead would have bitten my tongue and gone home with hurt feelings. Even knowing that my kids would have been introduced to an asshole, it would have been worth it seeing that guy get his come-uppance. I'd have walked out with you, and let the manager know that you were justified in your actions.

12. hello haha harf August 7, 2009 at 1:09 PM #

seriously? i'm loving on you right now. i am so thankful that you said something to him. even if it doesn't change his ignorant behavior, you showed your children and everyone else there that bullshit behavior doesn't have to be tolerated. explaining asshole is easier than explaining that tool's thought process.
    love and peace to you.
    becky

13. greeninoc August 7, 2009 at 6:15 AM #

You've got courage! I'll never forget something I heard Maya Angelou say about how she will NOT allow the poison of racism to be spoken around her. When I heard her say it she also said that if you don't say something you are giving your approval of what is being said. I found a quote of hers:

I will not sit in a group of black friends and hear racial pejoratives against whites. I will not hear "honky." I will not hear "Jap." I will not hear "kike." I will not hear "greaser." I will not hear "dago." I will not hear it. As soon as I hear it, I say, "Excuse me, I have to leave. Sorry." Or if it's in my home, I say, "You have to leave. I can't have that. That is poison, and I know it is poison, and you're smearing it on me. I will not have it." Now, it's not an easy thing. And one doesn't all of a sudden sort of blossom into somebody who's courageous enough to say that. But you do start little by little. And you sit in a room, and somebody says — if you're all white, and somebody says, "Well, the n***** — " You may not have the courage right then, but you say, "Whooh! My goodness! It's already eight o'clock. I have to go," and leave. Little by little, you develop courage. You sit in a room, and somebody says, "Well, you know what the Japs did then, and what they're doing now." Say, "Mm-hmm! I have to go. My goodness! It's already six o'clock." Leave. Continue to build the courage. Sooner or later, you'll be able to say out loud, "Just a minute. I defend that person. I will not have gay bashing, lesbian bashing. Not in my company. I will not do it."

14. Al_Pal August 7, 2009 at 6:01 AM #

You are fantastic. That is all.

15. Cathy August 7, 2009 at 1:18 AM #

Wow. You are awesome. Kudos to you for standing up to him! He had that coming, and more…

16. Lesley August 7, 2009 at 1:12 AM #

Calling him an asshole was tame compared to what he really is. When I'm dealing with similarly ignorant folks (many in my family & small hometown), I tend to get so flustered that I stutter. What an absolute fuckwit of a man.

17. Summer August 7, 2009 at 1:04 AM #

If anyone needed to be kicked out it would have been him. You are awesome.

18. The Bossy Yankee August 7, 2009 at 12:22 AM #

You handled yourself way better than I would have. Good for you! And yes he sounds like an uneducated ass hole. I hope he does not have any kids he raised!

19. AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:20 AM #

Same here, sweetie!

20. alex August 7, 2009 at 12:18 AM #

I don't typically pull out the 'you go girl' but that was the first that came to mind when reading this. Good for you!

21. Anna August 6, 2009 at 11:52 PM #

Unfortunately, I can relate to your play-by-play all too well. Thankfully, I've never actually been present to overhear such comments (barring the cross-the-line, give terrorists money comment) at church. Friends like to tell me about it after overhearing these things so that we can all say that it's a good thing I wasn't there. Oh, and that foreigner thing…heard that before too. I'm grateful to hear that there are people like you who will stand up and say something. Best reason ever for being kicked out of a restaurant.

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:19 AM #

If I never eat at that restaurant again, i'm ok with it….I know I did the right thing in not just listening to it. Honestly, that would have pissed me off even more to know that I didn't say anything.

22. Whitney August 6, 2009 at 11:46 PM #

I would have lost my beans!

My children would have soon learned what JAIL was when their mommy was charged with assault. Needless to say I have a low tolerance for stupidity !!!!!

23. A Pecan and A Matzah August 6, 2009 at 11:35 PM #

I echo all of the aforementioned positive comments. If I were there, and my kid heard you, I would tell him sometimes people say horrible things about others that aren't there to defend themselves, so sometimes we must defend them in their absence.

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:18 AM #

And you know what? In thinking of my friends whose kids I love and adore who struggle so greatly with their special needs…..it just makes me want to back and take a swing on him. GAH!

24. Jen August 6, 2009 at 11:30 PM #

I hate that people can't be respectful with their opinions in public. I mean sure he's entitled to his asshole-opinions but fer chrissake keep em to yourself. I would have junk-punched him for you had I been with you. You are my favorite foreeeeeener!

25. Maria August 6, 2009 at 11:29 PM #

Anissa = Amazing.

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:17 AM #

MEH…Anissa = BAD temper when the right trigger comes along.

26. Halala Mama August 6, 2009 at 10:07 PM #

Good. For. You. It might have been my father you were talking to which is good since I don't talk to him any more! ;) Honestly though, there are sooo many people like this who are ignorant and get their news straight from Rush Limbaugh who doesn't care if it is true or not, who are so nativist, prejudiced, and thinks every single freedom they have rests on their unfettered right to bear arms. They scare me a LOT.

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:17 AM #

I just hope he doesn't find out where I live. HEH.

27. Shamelessly Sassy August 6, 2009 at 10:04 PM #

I like you. I'm with Karen Grannypants. I'd much rather explain what an asshole was than to have to explain anything that man said.

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:16 AM #

I like you too. I really like *snort* Karen Grannypants…remind me never to roadtrip with her.

28. Angie-AmNothing August 6, 2009 at 9:57 PM #

I like that YOU'RE a foreigner. You're from TAMPA.

SERIOUSLY.

29. Mandy August 6, 2009 at 9:53 PM #

I figure if he's speaking loud enough to spew that kind of venom for everyone to hear, then you have every right to respond. I'm dying to know what his reaction was though…

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:16 AM #

He was so stunned that he just sat there for a moment with his eyes all big…his wife's jaw was ON THE FLOOR…and then they asked me to leave so he never got a chance to respond. Probably a good thing.

30. Ramblings by Reba August 6, 2009 at 9:40 PM #

Ohmygoodness. I can't say that I blame you for saying what you did.

Hugs…

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:15 AM #

He was so vile. Nothing I could have said to him could have been worse that what he was already saying. But the kids. I feel bad about that. *sigh*

31. Megan (mommyesquire) August 6, 2009 at 9:38 PM #

You are my hero. I would hope that I have the balls to say what you said. Totally worth getting thrown out of the restaurant!

32. cookiesmommy August 6, 2009 at 9:37 PM #

GOOD FOR YOU! You didn't absolutely NOTHING wrong and i'm sure the other parents inthe restaurant would applaud you as well even though they may have some explaining to do. It's so horribly sad to see that kind of ignorance still exists in today's world.

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:14 AM #

It's unfortunate that we feel so stifled that we have to listen to it quietly and feel that we can't stand up for ourselves. That's just one of the few times I've actually gotten up and faced it down. It sucks and I'm done listening to stupid people polluting my air!

33. Andrea's Sweet Life August 6, 2009 at 9:32 PM #

You are SO FUCKING AWESOME and, had I been there in that restaurant, I would have yelled that at the top of my lungs, and gladly followed you out the door, head held high.

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:13 AM #

That's right!! And that's why I love you!

34. Musings from Me/Jill August 6, 2009 at 9:30 PM #

What an awful experience! You've mentioned before where you live. Unfortunately there are people in this country who have very outdated and uneducated views.

In a similar vein I was in a McDonald's in London with my family. A group of young guys were sitting eating breakfast chatting and liberally sprinkling their conversation with curse words. I leaned over to the friendliest of the gus and said "there are kids back here could you mind your language." The group was good about that. The guy I spoke to gave his friends a reminder or two. There is hope!

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:12 AM #

My first response to him was verrrry controlled and low key. I made sure he knew I didn't appreciate his comments at all. But he took it to a whole new level and KABLOOOEY!

35. Jennifer August 6, 2009 at 9:28 PM #

I have nothing more to say that hasn't been said. But I will try.
    Thank you, for saying what needed to be said. There's a difference between shooting a teen dirty looks because he thinks saying "asshole" is all cool and what-not, but having the opportunity to explain to my children why the mom over there got worked up and stood up for what she believed in is an opportunity we don't get very often. I applaud you, and am ready to joing said fan club/gang.

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:12 AM #

hmmm, I'm totally going to have to think up some fun initiation for the gang. But I think you all are already in because you know how to call it when it's wrong. Thank you so much!

36. Nickie (@nsmith729) August 6, 2009 at 9:28 PM #

I'm so tired of uneducated morons the South look bad. I think you handled yourself quite well to be perfectly honestly. I'd have said a lot more, I'm sure.

• Nickie again August 6, 2009 at 9:29 PM #

Crap… I got so irritated and didn't check my own reply. 'tired of uneducated morons that MAKE the South look bad'. Heh. Now don't I look stupid!!

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:11 AM #

DO NOT come on my site if you can't spell correctly!!

*snicker*

As if!

I totally read it as if the word was there…so what does THAT tell you? XOXOXO

37. The Pig Lady August 6, 2009 at 9:25 PM #

Someone needs to be the Mama Bear for the Baby Bears with no voices. You are that Mama Bear. You use your grown-up outside voice. I like it.

38. Maria @BOREDmommy August 6, 2009 at 9:25 PM #

WOW – Good for you for having the balls to do that! I would have stood up and applauded you.

39. Beth in SF August 6, 2009 at 9:25 PM #

Sometimes an asshole is just an asshole, and there's not a nicer more PC way to say it. Sounds like that guy fits the bill. If I had my kid there, I would not have cared. I'd have clapped for you.

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:10 AM #

Thank you for that. That's the one thing I really regret. But, again, I wouldn't take it back for the world.

40. Mrs4444 August 6, 2009 at 9:24 PM #

I have an uncle who is an asshole like that. The last time I talked to him, he had walked up to my sister and I at a family reunion and said in a snide tone, "You know what? The older you girls get, the more you 'bulk up!'" I replied (to the joy of his wife, DIL and grandaughters around him,) "And I see you are as big an asshole as ever." He didn't say a word, but I know he heard me. His DIL thanked me when he was out of earshot. People like that need to be called out. Good for you.

41. Janna August 6, 2009 at 9:15 PM #

Oh, no, he didn't!!!!

Be glad that you only called him an a-hole. He deserved much more!

I'm not sure what kind of comments you were expecting but I am PROUD of you!!

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:08 AM #

I was expecting more MEH on the language, but so far everyone's been really understanding about me screaming profanities in front of kids. Go figure.

42. Beverly August 6, 2009 at 8:29 PM #

I'm so proud of you for speaking up. You did a brave and right thing…well, maybe not the "bad word" part, what with kids and all…because if more people would speak up and correct such ignorant behavior, it would have to stop! Good for you!

43. Kara August 6, 2009 at 8:10 PM #

The reason there are assholes out there like that is because no one has stood up to them and challenged their beliefs! Kudos to you for doing it!!! I'd like to think he went home and thought about what he was saying and will think twice about saying it again. Here's hoping…

44. Shelley August 6, 2009 at 7:47 PM #

You are ALL KINDS OF AWESOME!!

45. Janet August 6, 2009 at 7:42 PM #

Politics – everybody is entitled to their opinion, provided ti has to do with policy and not race. Ignorance – there simply is no excuse for some people. I am glad that you at least are concerned for those parents that have some explaining to do but hope that more than anything you made a lot of people wish they had the nerve to do just what you did. Reality is, the ignoramus in question probably feel justified becaue you were the one asked to leave but I bet lots of other people spent some time in thought about what kind of impression you left for them as a positive example of standing up for what is right.

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:07 AM #

Probably could have been more positive and enlightening, but I was ANGRY!! so, Asshole came out. This is why I don't run for office…the debates would kill me.

46. Midwest Mommy August 6, 2009 at 7:17 PM #

Good for you! I hope I have your courage to stand up to jerks like that one day.

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:06 AM #

Me too!! and I hope that you post about it so I can come over and yell "HELL YEAH!" at ya.

47. Lesha August 6, 2009 at 6:54 PM #

Awesome.
    Way to stand up to that ignorant douche.
    He was the one who should have been booted though.
    North South, East West, ignorance is everywhere*, I and I hope I would have the courage to stand up to it like you did.

*I try my best with my family/friends when I see it, it's a start.

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:06 AM #

Eeeehh…we'll find it everywhere. Just trying to remember to have a voice against it when we can.

48. loveandkisseszaphod August 6, 2009 at 6:23 PM #

First of all when I grow up I wanna be just like Anissa. Second, you should have smacked him across his ignorant moronic face. Third, that's kinda what you get for living in Georgia. Not that I have room to talk, living in Louisiana and all.

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:05 AM #

I won't even lie…I wanted to slap him so bad….but I managed to keep it in to a nice contained shout. I'm pretty proud of myself for NOT hitting him.

49. laprimera August 6, 2009 at 6:20 PM #

It's hard to believe that people like the Asshole are allowed to exist. We should be armed with magic wands. *poof* buh-bye, Asshole!

Love you, Anissa!

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:04 AM #

Love you too, Lex. I'd totally get carried away with a wand though…crappy driver? POOF! Line too long at Starbucks? POOF! TOO MUCH POWER!

50. Barbara August 6, 2009 at 6:10 PM #

OMG you are truly the most amazing person I have the pleasure of knowing, (not that I do know you, but you know what I mean). If I had been there I would have walked out with you. Talk about a SPECIAL NEEDS issue that needs some attention IGNORANCE it highly contagious and has no cure apparently.

51. heather... August 6, 2009 at 5:49 PM #

better to use the bad words than the physical violence!

52. Christina August 6, 2009 at 5:35 PM #

Delurking to post…THANKY YOU!!!!!!!
    Please tell me he also got the boot?
    As a mother of special needs kids(yes more than one) I aplaud you!
    If I was there I wuld have walked out with you AND if I had to explain that word to my kids I would say people like him cause it is true!!!!!

53. BusyDad August 6, 2009 at 5:30 PM #

What do I need to do to join your gang? I want in.

• AnissaMayhew August 7, 2009 at 12:02 AM #

will you wear a thong? we might be taking applications!

54. AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 5:29 PM #

*hugs and smooches*

55. AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 5:29 PM #

Karen, THAT totally makes it worth getting thrown out. I have too many friends that I love who live that life that I could NOT just let him go on saying it….I won't be there the next time he does, but I bet you he thinks of me.

56. AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 5:28 PM #

Nah…no heroes here, just someone sick and tired of hearing people spout negativity and ugliness.

57. AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 5:27 PM #

I think if you ever heard something like that you'd ABSOLUTELY stand up for what you know is right. We need to encourage each other to do that more.

58. AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 5:24 PM #

thanks so much, I appreciate knowing that you support my outburst. I was worried i'd get a lot of YOU DID WHAT?

59. Julie August 6, 2009 at 4:53 PM #

Wow, you are totally my new hero. :)

60. Angie August 6, 2009 at 4:50 PM #

You Rock! The world needs more people like you.

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 5:33 PM #

people who scream ASSHOLE in public? mmm, maybe not. LOL

61. Lisa August 6, 2009 at 4:37 PM #

Anissa, I would rather explain to my kids what "asshole" means than have to explain to them how someone could be so filled with hate. Thank you for saying to him what everyone who heard him should have said to him. Shame on that restaurant for throwing you out!

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 5:33 PM #

I just wish they'd heard him so that he would have been asked to leave. I just hate to think that he thinks they threw me out because I was wrong….they asked me to leave because I was LOUD.

62. Anna Marie August 6, 2009 at 4:27 PM #

You are seriously my hero Anissa. As the mother of a special needs child, and as a decent human being, when I read your tweets yesterday my head started spinning and then popped off my neck. Reading this post today makes me wish you HAD punched him. Right in the Nads. I am SO glad you said something to him. Thank you. *mwah*

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 5:32 PM #

I would go to bat for you ANY time. Know it! XOXOXO

63. Sassy August 6, 2009 at 3:24 PM #

Thank you. As a mom of a special needs son, I'm glad you called him an asshole in your grown-up outside voice. You rock!

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 5:31 PM #

I praise YOU for what I know is usually a pretty steep uphill battle, that takes a lot of love and determination. Your son is lucky to have you.

64. cindy w August 6, 2009 at 3:20 PM #

Wow. I was raised in Mississippi, and we have more than our share of racists there, but… wow. What a douche.

I'm so proud of you for calling him out. He deserved worse.

65. dcokequeen August 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM #

I can't believe that guy!! I'm so glad you said something. It sounds like something I would (like to) do. Ignorant people are dangerous! And kids need to learn about those words sometime. At least they are hearing them used correctly! LOL!!

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 5:30 PM #

LOL!! I did totally use it in the perfect context, right? I do tell my kids that they are always to stand up for themselves and each other…so, practice what you preach, right?

66. Amy@Atlanta With Kid August 6, 2009 at 2:56 PM #

Good for you!!! I saw your twitter yesterday and wonder what was it about. I'm glad you stood up to that @$$hole!!! Quite frankly, I'm not surprised that you will run into that kind of person seeing we are in the redneck country. I know not everyone here is the same but it seems we tend to attract more of that type of people here than others. :)

I wish I have your courage to do the same if that happen to me!

67. WpgPrincess August 6, 2009 at 2:54 PM #

You don't owe one person in that place an apology. I would think that any self-respecting parent there would be telling their children just how awesome a person you are, and complaining to management for having the audacity to throw YOU out instead of that ignorant idiot.
    You were completely justified in what you did. Even worse than causing a scene is to sit there quietly and allow that kind of toxic venom to continue.
    Well done.
    xo

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 5:26 PM #

Thank you!! I sat through as much of it as I could take, but THAT? Was just too much and I think it would have nagged me forever that I didn't say something.

68. DesignHER Momma August 6, 2009 at 2:51 PM #

woo hoo! you are awesome – potentially my hero.

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 5:25 PM #

Thanks, Emily, I still cried afterwards. *sigh*

69. karen sugarpants August 6, 2009 at 2:50 PM #

Oh and I wanted to add that I would much rather have to explain the word asshole to my kids than explain the filth that man was spouting off.

70. AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 2:50 PM #

Right? Think they'll let me back in?

71. karen sugarpants August 6, 2009 at 2:49 PM #

I totally would have done the same damn thing. SO fecking proud of you for standing up and saying something. Sad part is, the asshole probably won't change.

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 5:25 PM #

and he probably thinks he was in the right because *I* got asked to leave. MEH

72. AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 2:46 PM #

*snort!*

73. Rebecca_Jones August 6, 2009 at 2:43 PM #

The message you sent requires that you verify that you
    are a real live human being and not a spam source.

To complete this verification, simply reply to this message and leave
    the subject line intact.

The headers of the message sent from your address are shown below:

From notifications@intensedebatemail.com Thu Aug 06 09:42:16 2009
    Received: from jobs1.luv.intensedebate.com ([72.233.96.186]:57533)
    by gator580.hostgator.com with esmtp (Exim 4.69)
    (envelope-from )
    id 1MZ4AU-0001I0-KF
    for rebecca@iseemylife.com; Thu, 06 Aug 2009 09:42:16 -0500
    Received: from localhost (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1])
    by jobs1.luv.intensedebate.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 9D7E460669C
    for ; Thu, 6 Aug 2009 14:42:02 +0000 (UTC)
    From: IntenseDebate Notifications
    Reply-To: IntenseDebate Notifications
    To: \”Rebecca_Jones\”
    Subject: AnissaMayhew replied to your comment on It's never too early to teach your kids how to get thrown out of an establishment with STYLE
    Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8;
    Message-Id:

74. Bridget August 6, 2009 at 2:40 PM #

Bravo!! I think you should print up some stickers or something:
    I'm #freeanissa, but you're not #freetobeanasshole

p.s. not everybody in Georgia's like this…i swearz.

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 5:24 PM #

DUDE! That's an awesome idea. I'm so getting those made up.

75. Sarah Viola August 6, 2009 at 2:40 PM #

Wow, Anissa. I'm proud of you. Someday when they're all grown up, your kids are going to remember this and be so proud of the strong, take-no-bullshit woman that you were, and they're going to love telling this story. BADASS.

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 5:23 PM #

Imagine how cool it would have been to go to school the first day and announce " My mom nut-punched someone the other day!" I wonder if the office staff would mess with me?

76. Nicole August 6, 2009 at 2:36 PM #

I think I have a crush on you now. Moreso than I did before.

I wish more people would do things like that – the world would be a better place.

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 5:23 PM #

ehhh…we don't everyone running around cursing up a storm…they might disagree with me and THEN? it gets ugly. HEH.

77. Carla H August 6, 2009 at 2:34 PM #

OH MY GOSH! More power to you. He needed to be called an asshole. Some people, really, HE should have been told to leave. His comments would be what I would be concerned with trying to explain to my children. Asshole! Applause and standing ovation to you.__

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 2:51 PM #

I do wish he'd been asked to leave. Because I have a feeling that because *I* had to go, he felt he was in the right. oh well.

78. AMomTwoBoys August 6, 2009 at 2:30 PM #

I heart you. xoxo

79. Heidi August 6, 2009 at 2:27 PM #

Bravo!!

80. Erin @ Fierce Beagle August 6, 2009 at 2:22 PM #

I. Can't. Believe. That. Frankly, I'd like to congratulate you on 1) Not punching him in the throat, and 2) Not calling him anything worse. Because in this situation, asshole just doesn't begin to cover it.

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 2:49 PM #

I think maybe we need to start a bail-out fund just in case I lose my temper any more! Let's hope it's not a trend. HA

81. Emma August 6, 2009 at 2:15 PM #

You're amazing. Well done.

82. Tracey August 6, 2009 at 2:00 PM #

Honestly, the word asshole is nothing compared to what that person was spouting off about. Good for you for standing up to him and that should be the lesson here…not that you swore infront of some children.

83. Drpepgal August 6, 2009 at 1:29 PM #

Oh man, you gave me chills. YOU are awesome. It takes just "one" person to sometimes show people how ignorant they are. He is ashamed, he is filled with so much hate, that he must in fact hate himself. You showed your children that sometimes turning the "other cheek" is not acceptable, that sometimes the weak need a voice, you are that voice and I am so proud of you…and also proud to be an american "foreigner". God bless you…and yes, I am suprised he can still swallow!

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 2:47 PM #

I HOPE I made him think about what he was saying. I HOPE he considered what his ideals were. But I have a feeling that all he thought was about one more "stooopid foreeeeenger".

84. Leigh (Modern Mommy) August 6, 2009 at 12:33 PM #

You taught your kids something else, too. That it is ALWAYS right to stand up and defend those who can't defend themselves. They should be proud of their Mommy.

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 2:43 PM #

Thank you for that. If nothing else, I DO want to know that my kids will always do that. It would make me prouder than college degrees or fancy homes.

85. Rebecca_Jones August 6, 2009 at 12:16 PM #

You go with your awesome self!

(I'd rather explain asshole to my kids than the hate he was spewing!)

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 2:41 PM #

TRUE that! Because, honestly, I can't explain why people think that way. AT ALL.

86. Angella August 6, 2009 at 12:13 PM #

Good for you, girl. I'm proud of you for saying something. xoxo

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 2:40 PM #

I keep thinking of other things I'd like to yell at him. BETTER things. SMARTER things. But oh well, I have a feeling if he ever sees me again he'll run before I get a chance.

87. melissa August 6, 2009 at 12:12 PM #

*Cue Wind Beneath My Wings background music*

awesome.

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 2:40 PM #

NOOOOO!! Not a Beaches moment. I can't stand the love.

88. nic @mybottlesup August 6, 2009 at 11:55 AM #

*STANDING OVATION*

and a smooch.

89. Maria August 6, 2009 at 11:55 AM #

Oh Anissa. Some people make me embarrassed to be from the South. While I'm super proud of you, I'm so sorry you even had to go through that or listen to that rank bullshit.

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 2:39 PM #

I've actually heard MUCH worse when I lived up north. I was shocked in high school to hear some of the stuff that people truly believed in the community in WI. But, honestly, assholeyness is universal.

90. ali August 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM #

you are my hero :)

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 2:37 PM #

I've thought of a thousand things I wish I'd said instead….intelligent, well-spoken responses. But I guess Asshole will have to do.

91. Tiffany August 6, 2009 at 11:38 AM #

*clapping*
    I'm not sure what I would have done. I'd like to think I would have said something….I hope I would have said something….
    KUDOS to you.

• AnissaMayhew August 6, 2009 at 2:36 PM #

I really thought I could just let it go….I try not to get in as many public screaming matches now that I'm a grown up. BUT I'm not THAT much of a grown up, I guess.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Really, I Could Type Here, But It Would Just Pointless | Aiming Low - August 12, 2009

[...] I have had my month’s year’s share of random outburst and semi-inappropriate public displays of temper. [...]

2. Twitted by mamaspohr - August 6, 2009