I have a story to tell

“I have a story to tell.”

Those were her words.  She’s fourteen years old.  There should be no story to tell.  Her life should be Gossip Girl and first boyfriends, shopping trips and late night giggles. She shouldn’t have a story to tell yet.

But Mary does.

She has a story about cancer.  Having cancer and beating it three times….about bone marrow transplant…about what makes her different…special…a fighter.

I got the email that Mary wanted to talk to me about starting a blog of her own.

“I want to write a book someday, but I think I’ll start with a blog.”

I couldn’t help but smile, isn’t that the blogger’s mantra?

We talked about her cancer, her dreams, her need to share her words with the world.

We talked about Blogger vs. WordPress, how to do a blogroll, picking a good name for her blog that would stick with her for a long time.

And a part of my heart broke off because anyone who’s never been a part of the cancer world doesn’t know that a long time is relative for kids like Mary.

It could be years….it could be months…it could be days.

Before we hung up Mary asked my advice on picking a laptop.  We chatted computers for a little while after she told me how badly she wanted one, especially for when she’s in the hospital like she is now, and how her parents are saving up to hopefully get her one for Christmas.

After I hung up the phone I had a good long cry.  Partly sadness that this amazing girl has to deal with this disease….partly joy that for a moment I got to listen to her and be touched by her enthusiasm and never-give-up spirit.

I tweeted out that I wanted to run a fundraiser on my blog to try and raise enough money to buy her laptop.

She needs that laptop to tell her story.

That tweet was picked up by a dear friend who passed the story along…to the right people…people who could make Mary’s need a thing of the past.

Friday Mary is going to be surprised when someone walks into her hospital room and hands her a package.  I wish I could be there to see her face when she opens that bag and sees her story.

Waiting to be written.

**************************************

Since I’m not going to be having the “Let’s Get Mary A Laptop” fundraiser, I have something else to offer you as a way to help kids like Mary and my Peyton.

OneHope Wine is a winery that donates portions of their profits to different charities. They have different wines for different charities benefiting causes like AIDS, breast cancer, autism and our troops.

They have provided me a code CCA and if you use this code to purchase ANYTHING from their site you get 10% off your purchase and 20% of the sale will be going to the Childhood Cancer charity of my choice. I know.

AWESOME, right?

I have chosen Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation as the benefiting charity from this effort. I hope that together we can make a significant donation on behalf of the many children who are surviving and battling cancer…and especially in honor of those that have lost the fight.

Use the code CCA during your checkout process at ONEHOPE Wine, it will ask you for a promotional code. Remember, the code will give you 10% off your purchase and 20% of your sale will go to Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation.

If you’d like to spread the word on your own blog, Facebook or Twitter, please do so!

, , ,

15 Responses to I have a story to tell

1. Brittany September 18, 2009 at 6:45 PM #

that is an amazing story, it had me in tears, I can't wait to read her story!

2. Amy September 17, 2009 at 10:09 PM #

Oh how amazing! Brought tears to my eyes, imagining that scene.

3. jennster September 17, 2009 at 6:08 PM #

so awesome. you are amazing and thoughtful and kind. i can't wait to start reading her!

4. therealbecks September 17, 2009 at 5:26 PM #

that is so awesome. i look forward to reading her blog!

5. Lexi - @laprimera September 17, 2009 at 5:17 PM #

love to you Anissa!!!

6. magda September 17, 2009 at 4:52 PM #

What an awesome story! I am constantly reminded why I truly love this community we are a part of. I can't wait to welcome this young brave woman in our community and help support her. You rock Anissa You Rock!

7. Lattes_And_Life September 17, 2009 at 4:46 PM #

I have goosebumps and tears in my eyes. You just had to have this go down when I'm all hormonal and stuff…jeeeez. It's so beautiful though. So so beautiful. Bless her heart.

8. mommabird2345 September 17, 2009 at 4:44 PM #

Your daughter Peyton and Mary are amazing girls. You're right, no child should have a story. Can't wait to read Mary's blog.

9. ascapecodturns September 17, 2009 at 4:42 PM #

I can't wait to read her blog! Please let us know what her blog name is!

10. Nel September 17, 2009 at 4:18 PM #

What a wonderful story.

I have to stop reading you at work because every single time I end up in tears.

11. Mama Bub September 17, 2009 at 3:16 PM #

I wonder if people like you realize the power you wield in this world, the power to do something that completely changed her life for the better.

12. Mandi Bone September 17, 2009 at 1:56 PM #

I am so happy that she is getting her computer. I posted a link on my facebook to get more wine sales for your chairty. (My friends LOVE wine)

13. Amy@Atlanta with Kid September 17, 2009 at 1:53 PM #

Thank you for sharing her story and let us be a part to make a difference. Can't wait to read her blog!!

14. Molly September 17, 2009 at 1:26 PM #

Oh boy, this one tugged at my heartstrings. I hope she gets her blog up and running soon so that we can all show her some love!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Rambling is an art, right? | #FreeAnissa - September 21, 2009

[...] More updates… Skip to content HomeAboutContactFavorite PostsAwards and WhatnotBlogrollPR/Advertise « I have a story to tell [...]