let’s talk about math, baby. and if you just sang along, we’ll know about it.

Sometimes I will feel something inside that cries.

It wants for things to work better.  Harder.  Right.

But I always pushed for more.

I thought that I could be better.  And harder.  And right.

And that was before the strokes.

Back when the world was simple.

So now the body doesn’t work quite right.

My mind is slower and has to work so much harder.

And I will swear until my dying day that my perspective has made my life that much better.

At least now, I have a reason for lousy math skills.

Right. Harder. Better.

26 Responses to let’s talk about math, baby. and if you just sang along, we’ll know about it.

1. mindy April 13, 2010 at 11:10 AM #

i am terrible at math. but have found that if i relax my brain, the answers will sometimes pop into my head! but try relaxing your brain. it’s almost harder than math….
    .-= mindy´s last blog ..wondering =-.

2. Kelley April 13, 2010 at 7:09 AM #

It is awesome what you can blame on a stroke.

Get away with anything really.

MWAH.

3. Joanna Moore April 13, 2010 at 12:01 AM #

You have such a gift with writing (and you are really funny too.) In an earlier life, I used to be a speech and language pathologist. I never, ever had a patient, who had had a stroke, who could write with the humor and depth that you do. I am hoping you are planning to write a book because the world needs to hear your words.

4. Colleen April 12, 2010 at 11:48 PM #

Well, as far as Math goes, that’s why we have calculators. But we have yet to create a machine that can create, funny, sarcastic blog posts – you are one of a kind.

5. Tricia April 12, 2010 at 9:20 PM #

Math makes me want to kick someone in the neck. And you are already amazing, and have already worked harder. More. Better. Keep going, mama. We love you out here in bloggyland. And now I want to throw a math book at someone….

6. Barb April 12, 2010 at 8:42 PM #

I always LOATHED math…
    Look at it this way… now you get to hand your kids a calculator and tell them to do it for you- :)

7. Angella April 12, 2010 at 8:14 PM #

I'm an accountant and can tell you that math is overated. ;)

8. Karen April 12, 2010 at 7:12 PM #

I Hate Math!!!.. calculators, thank the Lord. And.. if more people would slow down before they came out with their thoughts, the world would be a much better place.

Keep going..you're doing SOOO WELL!!!…

9. alotofnothing April 12, 2010 at 2:50 PM #

But you can totally get out of playing Mouse Trap, so there's that.

10. kelly April 12, 2010 at 6:10 PM #

You are an inspiration.

11. mommabird2345 April 12, 2010 at 4:11 PM #

First of all, I totally sang along. ;)

In the words of Dory, "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming". You are getting stronger everyday. Keep up the great work. (can you tell which movie the toddler has been watching lately?)

12. Mary April 12, 2010 at 4:07 PM #

Math sucks ass.

From where I see it, your perspective is incredibly valuable. Your writing voice is different now…its more like reading poetry. There is a deeper meaning in everything, since you aren't typing fast enough to fill in all the blanks, you leave the reader opening their mind and heart for the greater context. Its different…but in a really awesome way. I love reading your words before and I love reading your words now.

13. thepsychobabble April 12, 2010 at 3:50 PM #

Math. Do people DO that anymore? I thought that was calculators were for?

14. Becky @TheRealBecks April 12, 2010 at 3:40 PM #

i think you are doing great anissa. just keep doing what you're doing babe. plus, math sucks anyway.

15. Denise April 12, 2010 at 3:38 PM #

That's great for you, bu tI have no excuse for my math! Glad you are making a comeback! I just recently discovered you.

16. Aunt Baaa April 12, 2010 at 2:32 PM #

My grandfather maintained that there was no need for any form of math beyond addition and subtraction. I'm with him.

Keep blogging! That will help you more than any stupid math!

17. Becky April 12, 2010 at 2:21 PM #

I became a musician so that I never have to count past 2, 4, or 6. Anything else can be subdivided when I conduct. *g*

18. leel April 12, 2010 at 2:19 PM #

isn't that what the calculator is for in the accessories folder of windows? ex.axctly…

19. DesignHER Momma April 12, 2010 at 1:54 PM #

But wow, here you are blogging about it. I can tell how hard you are working! So incredibly proud of you. xoxox

~emily

20. Michelle April 12, 2010 at 1:50 PM #

Math is lame. I suck at math!!! :)

21. oneclutteredbrain April 12, 2010 at 1:28 PM #

its true..math is overrvated. I am glad you are back in the blogosphere. I never got to meet ya before and you seemed like a great gal to get to know! Excited for that opportunity.
    Hang in there– all things take time.:)LOVE your blog BTW!

22. Melissa Lasko April 12, 2010 at 1:20 PM #

I have only recently stumbled upon you, your journey, your amazing wit, and uncanny skill of ALWAYS making me smile. You ROCK, woman — and you don't need math for that!! ;)

23. @kwr221 April 12, 2010 at 1:15 PM #

Math is overrated. That's why God made calculators and accountants.

• robin April 12, 2010 at 2:29 PM #

DITTO.

• Monica Brady April 12, 2010 at 3:33 PM #

I completely agree.. Math is totally overrated!!! I'm so happy to see you posting!! You will beat this!

24. Melissa Wardy April 12, 2010 at 1:12 PM #

Lousy math skills or not, I for one, am just so very happy you are back. Keep pushing, it will come. And until it does, be patient with yourself.