Some people might laugh at our ambitions.  They can seem like a lot, to say the least.

Peter brought up the idea of a home makeover when i had the first stroke in 2005.  But it seemed silly.

We thought about applying when we found out our daughter had cancer in 2006.  But I was too busy being a nurse/mom/do-it-all.

So now…we have had stroke two and three and some handicaps that take a lot of work.  You know what?  It might actually be time to ask for help and see what happens.

We have the application, and have filled it out.  Good lord, we were promised no math.

Now we have videos to do.

Videos.

I’ve seen the show and seen how the families behave.

They are weepers.

Hey, have I told you about how my handicap can make me cry uncontrollably?

Yeah. Apparently, when I get emotional I can’t control it.

I am going to be so popular.

Yup, I can see it now.

Snotting all over the stars.

I am going to be VERY popular.

47 Responses to what they don’t tell you in charm school: boogers can always open doors for you.

1. Al_Pal April 24, 2010 at 12:13 AM #

That would be pretty epic. Rock it.
    .-= Al_Pal´s last blog ..Sensitivity: I have it. =-.

2. april April 23, 2010 at 7:34 PM #

Oh, Anissa! If you could get the attention of RALPH MACCHIO? You could FOR SURE get the attention of Ty….

3. Night Owl Mama April 22, 2010 at 11:44 PM #

You got my vote!! U deserve that an then some HUGS

crying who does that? must be an onion near by

4. Jen Harley April 22, 2010 at 3:47 PM #

You so deserve it!! I hope you get it!

5. Mrs. Schmitty April 22, 2010 at 9:16 AM #

I am going to ABC’s website right now to see what I can do to help!! I believe you and your family deserve some loving from Ty!!
    .-= Mrs. Schmitty´s last blog ..It’s Been A Whole Month? Really?! =-.

6. annie April 22, 2010 at 12:32 AM #

Go girl! Might just even write in to nominate you, might help? Can’t think of a more deserving family. Love that show!

7. @sweetbabboo April 21, 2010 at 10:43 PM #

I’m with Steph. What can we do to help? Is there someone I can Tweet at, write to, or generally annoy? I’ll do it. You just say the word. Anything to see you rub your boobs all up on Ty. Anything.

-Abby
    .-= @sweetbabboo´s last blog ..It’s Bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S =-.

8. Amy April 21, 2010 at 9:04 AM #

I love that show. I cry every week and I can’t imagine how I’d be if I actually knew the people. Well, “knew” the people. Because of course, I don’t KNOW you. In fact I read exactly ONE of your posts on Aiming Low before you had your stroke. But, that one post, had me laughing so hard I was crying and when someone has the ability to make me do that… they leave a mark. So 3 weeks later, it was no suprise to me that you had me crying again. Through reading past posts, and reading your husband’s heart-wrenching posts that showed his amazing love and devotion to you and your children, I’ve completely fallen in love with you and your family. I am so thrilled that you’re writing again and I can get to know you from your point of view, in real time. I’m happy you’re home and so happy your family is back together. Welcome back.

9. Em April 20, 2010 at 10:51 PM #

I would totally come all the way from California to help build your house! :)

10. uthostage April 20, 2010 at 5:29 PM #

You totally deserve to be selected. I’d vote for ya!
    .-= uthostage´s last blog ..Priorities =-.

11. mel April 20, 2010 at 11:50 AM #

I can’t think of a more deserving family!

also, mmmm Ty Pennington
    .-= mel´s last blog ..icook =-.

12. jwg April 20, 2010 at 11:25 AM #

Cool, I hope you get chosen. But remember, they come inside your existing house and the world sees your housekeeping. Just thought a dose of reality was called for.

13. Stacey April 20, 2010 at 10:16 AM #

Hi Ladies (and of course Annissa),
    Not only can Annissa and her family apply but we can nominate them ourselves… I don’t know the Mayhews in person (in fact I am relatively new to Annissa’s blog and story) but some of you are close enough to more information on the nomination form for them. Perhaps if they receive a number of nominations as well as an application from the Mayhew family, the case would be more compelling. here is the link: http://abc.go.com/shows/extreme-makeover-home-edition/apply. I believe that this particular family can do anything they choose, but a little help couldn’t hurt.
    Oh and snot is definitely reality TV worthy in my world!

14. Steph April 20, 2010 at 8:43 AM #

What can I do to help?

Steph
    .-= Steph´s last blog ..I bought a pillow instead. =-.

15. Kristin April 20, 2010 at 8:42 AM #

I would like nothing better than to see y’all on EHM!
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..Someone’s in the kitchen with Gabe =-.

16. Dawn Tucker April 20, 2010 at 4:02 AM #

Girl, you already are VERY popular! And I read Peter writing about this back at hope4peyton and think it’s a brilliant idea. You would all deserve it so much. Hey, and use the contacts you already have. You must still have Oprah’s number tucked away somewhere right? I bet she could make a seriously good nomination video!!

17. Ashley Hast April 19, 2010 at 11:36 PM #

A? You *totally* deserve it. B? I would *so* vote for you by phone, text and computer. C? Although there was a local family who recently had the home makeover, I didn’t *know* them like I *know* you guys (laugh, pray, cry, cuss, etc. *with* you already). I hope, I hope, I hope!!!!! <3
    .-= Ashley Hast´s last blog ..I knew you (pretended to) missed me! =-.

18. Brandy April 19, 2010 at 11:29 PM #

That would be so AMAZING if they picked you guys!! If you need help from any of us to contact ABC, let us know! You guys so deserve something like that!!! Good luck! :)

19. Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} April 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM #

I cry uncontrollably and I haven’t had a stroke or two or three and few handicaps.

At least you have an excuse for super snot.
    .-= Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher}´s last blog ..I’ve just needed a little time =-.

20. Mary P (Barnmaven) April 19, 2010 at 9:30 PM #

I hear Ty likes boogers.

Me, I likes the tears. Nothing more fun than watching emo reality tv and bawling my eyes out. I only do it so my kids can come into the room several time and try and decide why mommy’s crazy.
    .-= Mary P (Barnmaven)´s last blog ..A sandwich I really didn’t want to eat. Either day. =-.

21. Allison @ Alli 'n Son April 19, 2010 at 9:13 PM #

Good luck! I bet you’ll make it. I’ll be sure to watch that episode.
    .-= Allison @ Alli ‘n Son´s last blog ..Little Known Ways to Prevent Diabetes with Fitness – guest post =-.

22. Lisa April 19, 2010 at 9:06 PM #

That is such an awesome idea. You guys totally deserve to win. Plus, just think of all the free publicity the show will get from us talking about it on our blogs and on twitter :)
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Missouri Botanical Gardens =-.

23. Fairly Odd Mother April 19, 2010 at 8:53 PM #

EHM should know that they will get SO MUCH publicity via the blogosphere (can you just see Twitter updates!) if they put you on the show! You so deserve a little Ty Pennington swinging his hammer for you. Sending you good vibes right now. Can you feel them?
    .-= Fairly Odd Mother´s last blog ..Whether you need a crib or not, a little Tax Day gift for you =-.

24. Sara Plays House April 19, 2010 at 8:51 PM #

I think this is the raddest idea ever. And I will be keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you and your sweet family.
    P.S. Since I’m just on the other side of Atlanta, please know that I WILL volunteer to come swing a hammer. Poorly. But a few messed up nails will be OK, right? Surely Ty will come along and fix them for me, with his big rippley muscles. Gee. I’ve said too much, haven’t I?

25. Kara Potterbaum April 19, 2010 at 8:00 PM #

I always thought if anyone can make boogers glamorous it would be you! Hugs!

26. Amy@UWM April 19, 2010 at 7:52 PM #

If this doesn’t work, I’m tellin’ ya, you gotta contact Oprah…
    .-= Amy@UWM´s last blog ..When Not Being There for Your Kid is a Good Thing =-.

27. drlori71 April 19, 2010 at 7:48 PM #

You & your family deserve this! Highest rated Extreme Makeover Home Edition ever :-)
    .-= drlori71´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

28. MommyNamedApril April 19, 2010 at 7:32 PM #

rooting for you! always rooting for you!!!
    .-= MommyNamedApril´s last blog ..So We Took Another (mini) Vacation. =-.

29. Suebob April 19, 2010 at 7:15 PM #

If you win, we are ALL coming over for the Big Reveal. And the party that will follow. I’ll bring brownies.
    .-= Suebob´s last blog ..Review: Cuisinart rice cooker =-.

30. Yankee Wife April 19, 2010 at 7:07 PM #

I’m so glad you decided to fill out the application! That would be soooo awesome for you and your family! I’d def vote YES for you!

31. Holly W April 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM #

Finger crossed that one day soon you can hear Ty say “MOVE THAT BUS’”.

32. Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] April 19, 2010 at 6:56 PM #

You have to say “OH MY GOD!” over and over when you go through your new house.

Also, kiss Ty with tongue.
    .-= Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing]´s last blog ..I think of all of you while I’m naked. =-.

33. Desera Johnson April 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM #

OMG Anissa! If anyone deserves this, it’s you and if you cry, you can be crying right along with the rest of us! there will not be a dry eye, I’m sure of it! God Bless you guys! ♥

34. Terry April 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM #

This would be awesome!! Blubber, cry, let the snot come out!!! Do it!!!
    .-= Terry´s last blog ..WIMTSW =-.

35. Jamie April 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM #

I read this on your hubby’s blog (well Peyton’s blog? All ya’lls blog?) and I really hope it pans out. You guys deserve a little bit of luck. <3

36. PrincessJenn April 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM #

I would do anything to see you get on that show. I can’t think of anyone more deserving!!
    .-= PrincessJenn´s last blog ..Follow Friday – Women of Strength =-.

37. Shelley April 19, 2010 at 6:39 PM #

Girl, you are SO popular already. Your family is amazing and the strength you all have is well, I don’t even have the words to describe it. With so many people hoping your chosen for Extreme Home Makeover how can they NOT pick you?

38. Davezwife (Tracie) April 19, 2010 at 6:28 PM #

Hey lady!
    I just wanted to remind you about the Give Anissa a Hand video that 50 of your closest friends made for you earlier in your illness. (http://davidandtracie.com/2010/01/04/the-give-anissa-a-hand-project/) I know how that short-term memory can be, so I wanted to say – Use that! Tell ABC that you have people all over the place willing to GIVE YOU A HAND! We prooved it, lol.
    I just get chills when I see you “use your voice” again on your blog.
    You have an amazing family!
    (if you need the video files, I can get it to you, but I think Peter has it)
    .-= Davezwife (Tracie)´s last blog ..A Peek at Pictures – The Best Things. =-.

39. Kelly Langner Sauer April 19, 2010 at 6:15 PM #

You’d SO have my vote. AWESOME.
    .-= Kelly Langner Sauer´s last blog ..window, half-open =-.

40. midget invasion April 19, 2010 at 6:15 PM #

I really hope y’all get it! My mom applied when she was dying from cancer, but they didn’t select her. You’ve got the cancer gig AND strokes though, so I bet you’ve got a better shot!
    .-= midget invasion´s last blog ..Saying goodbye to an old friend =-.

41. nuckingfutsmama April 19, 2010 at 6:11 PM #

I agree — cry, beg, plead, kick & scream your heart out! Good Lord, if anyone deserves it after all you’ve been through, y’all most certainly do! :-)
    .-= nuckingfutsmama´s last blog ..Happy 7th! =-.

42. *firegirl* April 19, 2010 at 6:02 PM #

OH EM GEE!!!

Cry like you just won the MIss America pagent, do the hand wave & everything. Work it! Own it!

43. Justine April 19, 2010 at 6:02 PM #

Awesome! Good luck- how could they not want to take you guys on?

44. Kat April 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM #

If I could vote for one person to get a home makeover, it’d be your family.
    .-= Kat´s last blog ..Personification of The Volcano =-.

45. Meredith April 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM #

so true – whatever it takes.

46. Miss Grace April 19, 2010 at 5:58 PM #

Oh girlie y’all deserve it!
    .-= Miss Grace´s last blog ..Snake Hunters =-.

47. JenniferG April 19, 2010 at 5:55 PM #

Awesome. Whatever it takes girl. SNOT AWAY.
    .-= JenniferG´s last blog ..What I Am Thinking About Today: My Dog =-.