when i daydream i have two good arms, but for different reasons than you think

Opportunities come that I can go out with member of my therapy team.  These chances can sometimes really teach me something important.

Like the last time I went I realized something profound…I was the only one there that LOOKED handicapped.  They were all walking while I was in a wheelchair, their arms and legs worked where mine very obviously did not.

Some had cognitive issues.

Some had head wound issues.

Some had problems speaking, others had problems with vision.

But when we were separate, mine were the only problems you could SEE.

And, so what. I was working hard towards my goals with nothing to be embarrassed about.  No one ever says a word to put another person’s hard work down.

Would you believe that someone else had the balls to complain?  They actually said they couldn’t clean off the table because he only had one arm.

Someone with two working legs, a working arm past his shoulder, a working face with functional mouth….WHINED.

I won’t even lie….I almost hit him.

But I couldn’t run away.

, ,

23 Responses to when i daydream i have two good arms, but for different reasons than you think

1. Kristina April 30, 2010 at 8:00 PM #

Don’t let the whiners get you down, darlin. His only physical challenge may be a gimpy arm, but as someone who has suffered from severe anxiety and depression I can tell you that his bad attitude is hurting him way more than it is hurting anyone else, no matter how offensive to others it may be. I hope he can see his way to getting help for his emotional suffering and for his desire to dump that pain on others. He’s gonna live his world of hurt all alone until he can get enough help to develop the eyes to see that everyone is suffering in some way or another and he has to bear his cross himself. Aren’t you glad you’ve got those eyes, Anissa? Aren’t you glad to have the love and support of friends and family? I’m sorry that someone else chipped away at that. It sucks to be down and have someone dishonor and disrespect what you have achieved by complaining.
    .-= Kristina´s last blog ..Thankful Thursday =-.

2. Al_Pal April 28, 2010 at 7:35 PM #

Keep rockin’. Karma will get the bastage. ;p
    .-= Al_Pal´s last blog ..Sensitivity: I have it. =-.

3. Mishi April 28, 2010 at 10:05 AM #

I bet you can still give a mighty stink eye!
    .-= Mishi´s last blog ..You. are. of Love. =-.

4. defendUSA April 28, 2010 at 8:07 AM #

It’s why I do not complain, ever- about being in pain. Because my Gram never did, either. And she lived like that for 50 years- Lame on one side. We did everything…gardened, baked, cleaned(she was such a hardass)!! It’s probably why I freak out when my kids leave a single dirty dish in plain sight to this day!!

PS- I mighta hit him, too.

5. amy April 27, 2010 at 10:40 PM #

Next time go for the balls!!

6. T Lee April 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM #

I would absolutely have thrown something at him… is it to late todo that? Maybe next time? Things to look forward to my dear, lol.

7. Laurie April 27, 2010 at 3:17 PM #

I agree with the comment that suggested running into his shins next time. And then pretend the momentum carried you forward out of your seat, and your head couldn’t help but headbut him where it really counts. That’ll give him something to complain about! ;) You’re doing great, and my medical opinion is that feistiness of yours will carry you through recovery!
    .-= Laurie´s last blog ..Emily Post Would $hit Herself =-.

8. Angela April 27, 2010 at 2:53 PM #

Girl, you just go on and laugh your ass off at him. Or work on throwing. Throwing stuff is good too. ;)
    .-= Angela´s last blog ..What one month will do =-.

9. Andrea April 27, 2010 at 2:21 PM #

I would have wanted to hit him, too. At the very least you could’ve run into his shins or something – no? Stay strong, you incredible and amazing woman!
    .-= Andrea´s last blog ..Manic Monday =-.

10. Issa April 27, 2010 at 2:10 PM #

You need a water gun. Just shoot the shit outta the complainers. :)

11. All Adither April 27, 2010 at 12:42 PM #

One might be able to *see* your issues, but that poor guy has to go through life as a jack ass. :)

12. Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] April 27, 2010 at 11:44 AM #

You need a dart gun.

13. Colleen April 27, 2010 at 11:36 AM #

My son has high functioning autism and is a very handsome devil. Because people can’t “see” his disability, he sometimes gets rude reactions from strangers. Sometimes they refuse to cut him some slack and it pisses me off. I found a saying in a book many years ago and I have memorized it because it really epitomizes my opinion on people with disabilities: “Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There is a crack in EVERYTHING – it’s how the light gets in.” I work with kids with disabilities and I think they rock in a way none of the others can ever dream to rock. Don’t waste your time with whiners, kharma has a way of evening things out.

14. mapsgirl April 27, 2010 at 11:34 AM #

Thank you for remind me that even my slightest of issues pale in comparison to others.

I love how through all of this you are still able to keep your sense of humour! It is that spirit that is going to get you up and running (pun completely intended).
    .-= mapsgirl´s last blog ..happy earth day: being treesponsible =-.

15. Miss Grace April 27, 2010 at 11:27 AM #

You have permission to throw something at his head. With your good arm of course. I’ll fly out so I can wheel you away extra fast.
    .-= Miss Grace´s last blog ..with a little snark =-.

16. mommabird2345 April 27, 2010 at 11:23 AM #

Next time, seriously, punch him.
    You said this perfectly:
    “I was working hard towards my goals with nothing to be embarrassed about.”
    *HUGS*

17. toywithme April 27, 2010 at 11:05 AM #

We need Inspector Gadget to pimp your chair for times like this.
    .-= toywithme´s last blog ..Lets Talk About This One Time I Queefed =-.

18. thepeachy1 April 27, 2010 at 11:00 AM #

I am totally packing some throat punches…

19. Mark (Dudge OH) April 27, 2010 at 10:58 AM #

I’m afraid most all of us take for granted those issues about ourselves that others might look at us and think, “If only I could do that”…

20. Redneck Mommy April 27, 2010 at 10:55 AM #

You have my permission (and my husband’s) to whack any whiner in the nuts.

Sounds like the dude needs a healthy dose of perspective, and you could be just the person to level it.

*But I’m so sorry you have to endure the arses. How frustrating.*
    .-= Redneck Mommy´s last blog ..What to do if Your Blog Gets Hacked =-.

21. Chrystal April 27, 2010 at 10:52 AM #

God speaks to us in funny ways sometimes. :)
    .-= Chrystal´s last blog ..Happy Customers! =-.

22. HalynB April 27, 2010 at 10:52 AM #

Heh…I knew before I even looked that there would be something about smacking in this post.
    .-= HalynB´s last blog ..Four Years And Counting =-.

23. Amanda April 27, 2010 at 10:49 AM #

Is it awful of me to say that the spiritedness you show is like a superhero power? I wish I could launch you past recovery, but damn girl, you got sass for miles. I place both hands firmly behind me as I bow down to you.
    .-= Amanda´s last blog ..Be Patient =-.