you know how there are owls in the desert? this post is not about them at all.

I have noticed the change, and some others have too, I suppose.

Probably everyone who used to follow my old stuff has noticed.  The new people have probably seen some difference.

And we’re not just talking about the way I dress.

For those that haven’t totally gotten it yet, we are talking about my writing.

What used to be the Great American Novel, is now usually very short and to the point.

Partly because I only have one hand to type with, and partly because everything goes slower these days.

It’s frustrating.  I won’t pretend.

But compared to where I WAS…I’m doing great!

I was in a bed all the time, connected to machines that beep, with children, a husband. family and friends hoping and praying.

So I do write slower then I used to.

And I get thing done at a much slower pace.

But I have learned to be happy that I’m able to get them done all.

46 Responses to you know how there are owls in the desert? this post is not about them at all.

1. kim/hormone-colored days May 6, 2010 at 12:00 AM #

First off, you are awesome. The fact that you are blogging and tweeting at all is a testament to your will and determination. I’m catching up on your blog and was just thinking how much I like the short posts because I can read several before my short attention span wanes. Then I got to this post.

Save the long stuff for your book or movie. :-)
    .-= kim/hormone-colored days´s last blog ..Funding for Gifted Education =-.

2. Ivy May 4, 2010 at 8:01 AM #

Short or long they still make me smile. Plus I am a slow reader anyway. Love you!

3. ChaosRu May 2, 2010 at 7:51 PM #

Your willingness to continue, despite the difficulties still brings tears of joy to my eyes. The great American novel will wait even if you have to get there one letter at a time.

4. Ramblings by Reba May 1, 2010 at 8:23 PM #

I sometimes don’t make it all the way through Great American Novel posts (regardless of who’s writing them). I almost always get through the short ones. In fact, I prefer shorter posts. :) And, girl, you’re writing! Yay, you!
    .-= Ramblings by Reba´s last blog ..Running all the way… =-.

5. amy April 30, 2010 at 9:47 PM #

You so ROCK Anissa!

6. designHER Momma April 30, 2010 at 8:46 PM #

I loved my old Anissa. I love my new Anissa. They’re not really that different.
    xoxox
    ~emily
    .-= designHER Momma´s last blog ..Birthday Looooooove =-.

7. Jessica April 30, 2010 at 1:46 PM #

I don’t know anything about your previous life as a blogger – became a fan after your stroke. And I think your writing ROCKS. I love the short, sharp sentences with the dreamy metaphors. I would recommend that you embrace this new voice because it is gorgeous and unique.

8. defendUSA April 29, 2010 at 7:40 AM #

Can you speak fairly well? I ask because the troops I support who cannot type for various reasons use a program called Dragon to dictate letters to families and such via computer and some do blog the same way…Maybe this would help you be more proliferate? I used it yesterday for transcribing and it was awesome- because, a secretary I am not!! Just a thought.

9. Sandy Jenney April 29, 2010 at 6:41 AM #

Althought it is easy for us that type with 2 hands to say typing with 1 hand is great. For where you have come from….it is phenomenal! Coming from a nurses point of view…when I first heard and heard your condition & what had happened – from a medical stand point I didn’t think you would ever be where you are. (but sure have been on the praying bandwagon to belive otherwise!) So I don’t doubt anything from you anymore!
    .-= Sandy Jenney´s last blog ..Girlfriendology Interviews me today on Blog Talk Radio =-.

10. uthostage April 29, 2010 at 1:31 AM #

That you’re still here is just so awesome. I didn’t start following you until after you got home, so I don’t notice anything other than an amazing woman doing amazing things.
    .-= uthostage´s last blog ..Wordless (sorta) Wednesday =-.

11. Bella April 28, 2010 at 11:41 PM #

Each word is a gift.

And the space between.

12. Bobbi Janay April 28, 2010 at 10:23 PM #

I am so glad that you are back, who cares if it is a little shorter and to the point.

13. Sara Plays House April 28, 2010 at 8:05 PM #

I like it that you’re concise. It’s MUCH more difficult to craft a moving post from fewer words.
    Yet you move me every day.
    So I think you’re doing awesome.

14. Somedayphd April 28, 2010 at 7:54 PM #

It will come.

In October of 2008, I had a stroke. Fortunately, I was blessed. I didn’t have to spend nearly the same amount of time in the hospital. All I know is that I had to reset most of my passwords, because no one else knew them and I couldn’t remember them. When I could remember them, it took me about 5 times to type them in properly – and that was with both hands.

Writing, and more specifically typing helped. The more I did it, the more it came back. It was such a frustrating process, but I know you will get through it because, just from what I’ve read, you have heaps more strength and courage than I could ever muster.

Email anytime you need and insiders shoulder.

15. Angella April 28, 2010 at 6:38 PM #

I’ll take whatever little bit of Anissa I can get, lady.
    .-= Angella´s last blog ..My Kind Of Conference =-.

16. Kathy April 28, 2010 at 6:30 PM #

You are inspiring with every word you write even if there are fewer of them now. The feeling is there and your strength comes through with every syllable.

17. Shelley April 28, 2010 at 6:22 PM #

Your wit is there. Your humor? Still the same. You’re inspirational and creative and I don’t care if you write one post and it takes you weeks. I LOVE reading every one of them. Take your time, we’ll wait.

18. Christine April 28, 2010 at 5:47 PM #

I’ve enjoyed seeing you back online. Honestly, I hadn’t read anything about you until one of the blogs I was reading talked about your stroke. I saw that you had a daughter with cancer (yay! remission) My husband had the same thing when he was around 2, so I felt a bit of a connection. I sent what I could to help and wandered on about my life thinking how amazing it was that you are resilient. Then, I found out some personal news that will sorely test my reserves and I must tell you, that selfishly, you give me hope and strength each time you write. So, thank you…

19. Lisa April 28, 2010 at 5:39 PM #

Just seeing that you’re writing, even if it is only a couple of words is amazing. You have come so far.
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..We Walked for Maddie, We Walked for All Babies =-.

20. Laurie April 28, 2010 at 5:14 PM #

I started following your story a bit when I read about you on Heather Spohr’s blog. I backread some and have been cheering you on ever since.

Short posts, long posts, you’re great.

Your family has also really pushed me in thinking about faith and trust. Thanks for that. :)

21. mrs chaos April 28, 2010 at 4:32 PM #

This has been one of my favorite posts you have written. I don’t really ever comment, but you are awesome, Lady. I love what you have to say.

22. Chibi Jeebs April 28, 2010 at 4:27 PM #

Dude, YOU’RE WRITING. That is pretty damned phenomenal in and of itself. And we all love you regardless of how many words you post. <3
    .-= Chibi Jeebs´s last blog ..Chesticular breasticles (AKA I have no clue what to title this) =-.

23. Joanna Moore April 28, 2010 at 4:26 PM #

I love your writing style. It is so compelling and funny… I told you before, but I think you should be published. You have so much to say to stoke patients, most of whom do not have the writing talent that you do. Of course, most non-stroke patients do not write as well as you do either.
    .-= Joanna Moore´s last blog ..It Has Sprouted! =-.

24. mommabird2345 April 28, 2010 at 4:22 PM #

You are still YOU. That’s all we need. :)

25. Maria April 28, 2010 at 4:10 PM #

I love every freaking LETTER you type, woman.
    .-= Maria´s last blog ..living things =-.

26. Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] April 28, 2010 at 4:09 PM #

We waited through your coma, we’ll wait through your writing.

Now, I’m going to wait for you to dance at my wedding.

Oh, wait… I need to find a good woman first.
    Oh, wait… I need to leave my husband first.

27. jenny April 28, 2010 at 3:40 PM #

It is great that you are writing and great that you are able to see your own progress (and know you are doing a great job). You are an inspiration to many people and it is encouraging to read your blog.

28. Colleen April 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM #

Nothing wrong with slow, it suited the turtle.

29. tricia April 28, 2010 at 2:37 PM #

We are all glad you are writing again!
    .-= tricia´s last blog ..The OATH =-.

30. PrincessJenn April 28, 2010 at 2:27 PM #

Going slow means you’re still moving forward and that’s the important thing. Besides, you can’t fool us. We all still know how awesome you are.
    .-= PrincessJenn´s last blog ..Follow Monday? =-.

31. mapsgirl April 28, 2010 at 2:19 PM #

Even in your shorter posts, we can feel the love and passion that is inside you.
    .-= mapsgirl´s last blog ..happy earth day: being treesponsible =-.

32. DE Heather April 28, 2010 at 2:15 PM #

short and sweet is still awesome if its coming from you girlie.

xo
    .-= DE Heather´s last blog ..Taking A Step Back =-.

33. threeundertwo April 28, 2010 at 1:29 PM #

And yet you are still better with one hand than I am with 2.
    .-= threeundertwo´s last blog ..Algebra Before Coffee =-.

34. Andrea April 28, 2010 at 1:16 PM #

Anissa!!!!!!! How good to “see you”!! So glad you’re writing again.

I’m praying for you…

~Andrea (a friend & prayer partner you’ve never met, probably won’t meet, but that’s ok cos we’ll see each other in heaven someday) :-)
    .-= Andrea´s last blog ..34 years ago today… =-.

35. Glamorous Life Assoc April 28, 2010 at 1:11 PM #

We will look back and call this your ‘forced haiku phase’. You know when we look back and realize HOW FAR YOU HAVE COME someday.

I don’t know you really (we met. But I am kinda hoping that memory was wiped out with the stroke since it was BlogHer and I was drinking like a MILF on Spring Break)…but I know that all things are possible.

36. Angela April 28, 2010 at 1:03 PM #

Girl, it brings me such joy to see your blog hopping again! It was way too quiet for too long. Short and sweet is very very sweet indeed!
    .-= Angela´s last blog ..What one month will do =-.

37. kalakly April 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM #

“Brevity is the soul of wit”. You have come so far Anissa and you will go even further. Keep fighting. It’s working:)
    xo
    .-= kalakly´s last blog ..T-Shirts Anyone? =-.

38. Mandy @ Tempestbeauty.com April 28, 2010 at 12:54 PM #

I, for one, am just glad you are writing. And tweeting.

Hell, I’m glad you are breathing, sweets. SO GLAD.

All our love.
    xoxoxox

39. Hockeymandad April 28, 2010 at 12:53 PM #

BAH! Don’t criticize yourself over the length of your posts, long posts all get skimmed anyway, right? ;) Any writing you do is a pleasure to read, always has and always will.
    .-= Hockeymandad´s last blog ..Meetings Suck =-.

40. katie | motherbumper April 28, 2010 at 12:39 PM #

Damn straight, I’ll Anissa-lite anytime. Direct, to the point, is a good thing.
    .-= katie | motherbumper´s last blog ..Did This Rat Die For Your Sins? =-.

41. Rook April 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM #

I’m glad that you’re writing, though!
    .-= Rook´s last blog ..NSFW: Shaping Kittens and Tanning Human Hide =-.

42. Stacey April 28, 2010 at 12:20 PM #

Amen! We love you anyway we can get you.

43. Deb ~ The Old Broad in Oregon April 28, 2010 at 12:19 PM #

I just LOVE that your sense of humor hasn’t changed one bit!

44. Jess April 28, 2010 at 12:18 PM #

You’re writing, though shorter in length, still wreaks of the wordy Anissa we all know and love. Time will show that when you’re back in full working order, we won’t be able to shut you up. And we like that.
    .-= Jess´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday: Pack My Briefcase =-.

45. Miss Grace April 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM #

I think your writing’s lovely.
    Brevity is the soul of wit.
    And also? I can complete a paragraph to save my life.
    You’re just finally sinking to my level is all.
    .-= Miss Grace´s last blog ..Diptychs – Abundant and Urgent =-.

46. Melisa with one S April 28, 2010 at 12:14 PM #

As are we. Sometimes less is more, you know?

xoxo
    .-= Melisa with one S´s last blog ..What Kind of Gift Should I Buy For A Bar or Bat Mitzvah?? (I’ll Tell You!) =-.