because who wouldn’t want a coma where you dream of mullets

I had dreams at the hospital.

Dreams from my coma time that I still remember well.  Dreams from stages when I was mostly unconscious, but people at my bedside were in those dreams.

There were too many dreams to share at once, and they were too hard to explain…the whole Mexican-map-romance-burrito thing for example.

But the dreams were how my mind coped.  So many things that I dreamed about happened in real life…just in different ways.  They’re hard to understand, hard to explain in a way that would make total sense.

Sometimes things feel like too much.  Maybe my dreams are better now, not so disjointed.  I can get swept away.

Then I feel little arms around my neck, and I feel a hand in my hair, and I hear the many sounds of laughter that keep me in the here and now.

The very things that give me reason to be at all.

13 Responses to because who wouldn’t want a coma where you dream of mullets

1. Snickrsnack Katie June 3, 2010 at 11:40 AM #

Wow, I am simply amazed at your progress! And how neat to know that you dreamt about things that were happening around you. I have never been in a coma, but I have had experiences where I am in that stage between wakefulness and sleep, where what is happening in real life is happening in my dream in some weird way.

I think I initially found you through Heather Spohr’s website – I am so glad to see that you are doing so well!

2. Shelby Lee May 29, 2010 at 3:39 AM #

Wow! You can really hear all that goes on around you!? Talk about being the ultimate fly on the wall. :)
    .-= Shelby Lee´s last blog ..Confirm Our Hotness!!! =-.

3. Victoria Mixon May 28, 2010 at 9:39 PM #

When my grandmother was in a coma, she knew who was on the phone in the other room. She shook her head when my sister said good-bye. It was the only time she’d moved in two weeks, except once when she tried to move her arm toward first me and then a few days later toward her best friend when we told her we loved her.

Of course you can hear–even things that aren’t being said out loud.

4. Mary @ Holy Mackerel May 25, 2010 at 10:48 PM #

Children can make just about anything better. And that’s one big reason we have them, I think. :o )
    .-= Mary @ Holy Mackerel´s last blog ..I don’t give up easily. And maybe I’m a little insane. =-.

5. Mandi Bone May 25, 2010 at 1:46 PM #

I know what you mean. I had crazy coma dreams about the people in my room. I can even tell them what they talk about but some how I turned into something different. I also had ICU psychosis. I saw things and knew that they were real.
    .-= Mandi Bone´s last blog ..Here we come Mickey =-.

6. Amanda May 25, 2010 at 11:51 AM #

From someone who has followed your story it is so amazing at how great you are doing~
    One day at a time…
    .-= Amanda´s last blog ..my friends left me here =-.

7. Sandy Jenney May 25, 2010 at 6:51 AM #

So powerful Anissa! It makes people realize they HAVE to keep talking to their loved ones who may be in a coma. That they can hear and sense even if they don’t realize it or can’t respond.
    Thanks
    .-= Sandy Jenney´s last blog ..Gleek Retreat Recap =-.

8. Janice-5min4mom May 25, 2010 at 12:27 AM #

Sooo glad you are here in the here and now… and I am also REALLY looking forward to hearing more about your dreams — mullets and all!
    .-= Janice-5min4mom´s last blog ..Tackle it Tuesday — Video Editing =-.

9. muskrat May 24, 2010 at 9:12 PM #

That’s odd…right before I go to bed, I look at pictures from the last NASCAR race I attended with the hope that I will dream of mullets. I worry about anyone who does NOT want to dream of mullets.

10. Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] May 24, 2010 at 9:09 PM #

did you dream of me? even if you didn’t, say you did.

cause it’s all about me.
    .-= Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing]´s last blog ..Edna =-.

11. Kristin May 24, 2010 at 2:55 PM #

I am convinced you were dreaming about mullets because of the American/Canadian mullet-off that the ladies on Smart Bitches, Trashy Books were competing in.

I hope your dreams are happy from now on and you continue to heal and become less overwhelmed.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..There are some good guys left out there… =-.

12. Stephanie May 24, 2010 at 11:55 AM #

Often I think it sucks after what you went thru with Peyton and how you learned THEN that it’s the small things that add up, the stuf of life, the people we love and who loves us- and now this for you… This is how I know you will beat it and that this is only the beginning of your testimony. Great things must be destined for your story.

Loves,
    steph
    .-= Stephanie´s last blog ..Your face grew up =-.

13. katie | motherbumper May 24, 2010 at 10:26 AM #

The brains, they love to have a good work-out when we are down. I’m always amazed at the dreams that are remembered after waking (and I’m super glad that you are here to share them). Wish you didn’t feel overwhelmed but I’m really glad for this things that keep you grounded.
    .-= katie | motherbumper´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday: California Rolls =-.