my better half…or my better 4/7…anyway, i was promised no math on this test

In the mornings I have learned to get myself out of bed.

From there I wheel myself over to find clothes for the day.

One arm in, the second arm in, and then I stick my head through….shirt on.

One leg in, the second leg struggled but in….and what.

The pants are undone and I have to wake up my husband to help me.

“Honey, please get up.” On this weekend day you don’t want to get up, you really want to just roll over and sleep in.

He wakes up.

I sit patiently with my pants still undone and only pulled to my knees while he stretches and scratches.

Then he stands close so I can stand up.  He does all the buttons and zippers while I’m up.

Then we hug.

For the only time that’s convenient, we press close.

Me with one leg on the floor, and him with his two we can hug for those precious seconds like nothing is wrong.

Then I go back to the wheelchair.

To reality.

14 Responses to my better half…or my better 4/7…anyway, i was promised no math on this test

1. The Flamingo Room May 24, 2010 at 1:23 PM #

But those moments in each other’s arms are reality too. As the Buddhists say, “present moment, wonderful moment.”
    .-= The Flamingo Room´s last blog ..Find it =-.

2. emma May 23, 2010 at 12:04 AM #

Reality is fleeting. Tomorrow, it will only be a memory and a new reality will have taken its place. Your 4/7ths is an amazing guy, not the least for marrying you. You are beauty incarnate.
    .-= emma´s last blog ..Pleasure Finds Friday: A Fruit Find =-.

3. Ashley Hast May 22, 2010 at 11:56 PM #

Hi Anissa. I sit here in my pissed off little foul mood, because I’m (as I always tell my kids and husband when I’m mad) acting like a 5-year old girl. Then I come to check in on you, read your *real* struggles, and tell myself to STFU and quit pouting. Fa’real, yo. I? *Heart* you.

• Ashley Hast May 22, 2010 at 11:59 PM #

Maybe it’s my meds..lol…but I felt like I should clarify…you have real crap to deal with, take the punches, roll with it, and keep on going. In the end, nothing gets you…because you’ll *totally* beat it’s ass.
      .-= Ashley Hast´s last blog ..Lame-o Chick I will *so* not like for *forever* =-.

4. Jessica Gottlieb May 22, 2010 at 11:49 PM #

Earlier today went running and I saw a couple. He clearly had Parkinsons. She was zipping his jacket as he stood and shook. He kissed her on the cheek, and I immediately thought of two things: calling you, and calling my husband.

So the pants thing, and the shower, and all of it, it’s marriage. It’s love. It’s what we do, and accepting those loving acts is as important as doing them. We take turns needing each other, and no one is keeping score.
    .-= Jessica Gottlieb´s last blog ..Lease Returns =-.

5. Desera Johnson May 22, 2010 at 7:41 PM #

awwwwww….you never cease to amaze me! I absolutely LOVE this post…you guys have a relationship that most people only dream about!

6. Helen May 22, 2010 at 2:53 PM #

Anissa, I am tempted to repeat what has already been said, however, I just want to say – this feeling is not your privilege! and it has nothing to do with your circumstances, so I say – life is a great adventure, we have to grasp at the opportunities… however we can
    love, and rooting for you!!
    .-= Helen´s last blog ..João after the 7 km walk =-.

7. Terry May 22, 2010 at 12:23 PM #

Awww Anissa….cherish those hugs! My spouse and I never even get those moments due to our hectic lives….God bless you!!
    .-= Terry´s last blog ..Diets May or May Not Work =-.

8. Shelley May 22, 2010 at 12:19 PM #

You share that closeness even if you aren’t physically touching. You both are such an inspiration!

9. Kathy May 22, 2010 at 12:00 PM #

Keep on keeping on! Good vibes from Cols, OH.

10. Kara Potterbaum May 22, 2010 at 11:22 AM #

That sounds like the most romantic hug ever.

11. Jan Holt May 22, 2010 at 11:14 AM #

Stop it!!!! Tears are shorting out my damn laptop. Seriously though, you make me smile and cry, and lose it all the time. I don’t even know you and you do that. Thank you for your incredible writing and your spirit. You are AMAZING!

12. Mary @ Holy Mackerel May 22, 2010 at 11:11 AM #

Anissa, you are my hero. And a wonderful writer. We need to meet one day.
    .-= Mary @ Holy Mackerel´s last blog ..Today’s post is full of frustration. Enjoy! =-.

13. Kelly Burton May 22, 2010 at 10:47 AM #

I absolutely love you..how you put words and thoughts and humor and appreciation into your story. Thank you…
    .-= Kelly Burton´s last blog ..Book Review: Emily Giffin, Heart of the Matter =-.