wheelchairs are the new black, you gotta try it

Since I’ve been in a wheelchair, I have all kinds of new ideas.

Like…do you remember Jimmy Stewert in the Hitchcock flick Rear Window? Who knows, maybe the neighbor is out to kill me.  Maybe the neighbor’s DOG is really the murderer.

Like…do you ever think of the character Artie on Glee.  The one that wants to dance so much, but is stuck singing show tunes. Really.  Wouldn’t you want to die?  Showtunes.

Like…I even though about the president Teddy Roosevelt.  How he fought so hard andd…wha…..ohhh…wrong president, never mind.  The other guy was pretty cool too.

Point is, these characters and guys-of-importance were in wheelchairs.  Whether it was temporary or a bit for the screen or they wanted to be the next John Locke, they played the handicapped part to the max.

Most of these guys can stand up at the end of the day.  It makes me mad some days that I can’t.  It would sure be handy to have a way to turn it off.

It’s hard for the person I used to be. It’s difficult that my arms and legs don’t want to work yet.  But I have to stop and wonder what it felt like to be Christopher Reeves and to have nothing work at all.

And, Dude.

He was Superman.

, , , , ,

30 Responses to wheelchairs are the new black, you gotta try it

1. Mary @ Holy Mackerel May 22, 2010 at 11:17 AM #

You are Superwoman.
    .-= Mary @ Holy Mackerel´s last blog ..Today’s post is full of frustration. Enjoy! =-.

2. Grumble Girl May 21, 2010 at 9:09 AM #

Just get your cape from the cleaners and do your work. You’re doing it. I’m so proud of you, Anissa… xox
    .-= Grumble Girl´s last blog ..My Littlest Little =-.

3. Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah May 20, 2010 at 10:18 PM #

Yeah, I think maybe you are Superwoman.
    .-= Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah´s last blog ..And I’m Having Trouble Getting it Back Together =-.

4. Lorrian May 20, 2010 at 3:08 PM #

Hi Anissa: you made me cry at work today, dang it.

I wish it hadn’t taken your stroke for me to have discovered your blog, but I’m awfully glad I did.

I think you are Super, woman. ;-)

5. Naomi W May 20, 2010 at 2:13 PM #

Don’t forget about Stephen Hawking. He’s a badass physicist with rare form of ALS who should have died decades ago. He can hardly move and can’t talk; he uses some kind of a computer thingy that talks for him. He’s still writing books, and he even has a show on the discovery channel that started about a month ago.

Don’t forget that you have it much better off than Reeves and Hawking. YOU will get better, and your body will work again. Oh yeah, and you’re also a badass superwoman.

6. Kymmi May 20, 2010 at 1:37 PM #

This post is amazing. You have accomplished so much through “just” your words. You are a linchpin in this world, I have so much faith in your success. This sounds sappy, but I am such a fangirl.

7. earth_mommy May 20, 2010 at 10:42 AM #

*smoochies and hugs*

I can see purple sparkles on the wheelchair! And, I’ll hide my stash of kryptonite :)
    .-= earth_mommy´s last blog ..Is This Thing On? =-.

8. thepeachy1 May 20, 2010 at 8:51 AM #

Yes it sucks, but your on the upswing and we are all watching ( no pressure). Plus I think you would look hot in a super girl outfit. ( your welcome peter)

9. Jamie May 20, 2010 at 8:28 AM #

You too like Superman, Wonder Woman ~ have a superhero super power. When you write your wheelchair becomes invisible. Just as FDR when he spoke on radio. Keep working hard and donate that wheelchair for remake of Rear Window. Though can’t imagine who could take Jimmy Stewart’s place. take care.
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..In Spite of My Doubts, There Sits a Nursery Full of Sprouts to Feed. =-.

10. Christi May 20, 2010 at 8:20 AM #

You are so amazing! And we’re so glad you’re HERE with us! I’m sure it is frustrating being in that chair, but if anyone can rise above, it’s YOU!! XXOO
    .-= Christi´s last blog ..Flashback Friday is BACK! Dancing on the Ceiling =-.

11. defendUSA May 20, 2010 at 8:11 AM #

in your case, it seems your brain has thiefed you. It’s just going to take a bit of patience for you to outfox that brain…and you will with your sense of humor and outlook…It’s called the “Survivor’s Club”!!

12. Desera Johnson May 20, 2010 at 6:12 AM #

I really can’t imagine what it feels like, but damn! you’re kicking some ass and we are all so proud of you! Keep kicking Anissa! You will get out of that chair, I know you will!

13. Kristin May 20, 2010 at 1:07 AM #

You have an amazing outlook on things.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday: Decayed Beauty =-.

14. The Flamingo Room May 19, 2010 at 11:57 PM #

Dude, and now I’m singing that Kenny Rogers’ song “The Last Ten Years (Superman)”….which I have to admit I like. I guess life’s too short to not admit to liking corn. And as the man says, “what’s going to happen next is anyone’s guess.” Keep going, girl.

15. A'lis Richardson May 19, 2010 at 11:56 PM #

Superman. Wow…I don’t know what else to say. You some how found the perfect words to make that point so clear.

16. amyinbc May 19, 2010 at 11:26 PM #

Too true, you have much to be fortunate for. On those frustrating days remind yourself that!

Worked as an aide to a young guy with similar injury as C Reeve. He went on to marry, have two beautiful daughters and remain a great guy who I always enjoyed seeing and working with.

17. Michelle May 19, 2010 at 10:51 PM #

You are so strong Anissa! You are such an inspiration for SO many people. I am so thankful to have come across your blog.
    .-= Michelle´s last blog ..♥Pour Your Heart Out – Abusers Never Change. =-.

18. BecZhang May 19, 2010 at 10:30 PM #

You are totally awesome. Your sense of humor through all the crap you are enduring is awesome. I love reading your posts
    .-= BecZhang´s last blog ..how the cheese wagon made me become a lady of the night =-.

19. Jennifer May 19, 2010 at 10:06 PM #

You go Wonder Woman… Keep at it. There’s no Kryptonite keeping you down. I believe in you. <3
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Stand back!! I have a uniboob and I’m not afraid to use it!! =-.

20. Redneck Mommy May 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM #

Foxy Knoxy has flames on his wheelchair. You need some sparkle to add to your zip.

It’s gotta be tough Anissa, and I can’t fully fathom it. But I know I’d totally bet on you in a wheelchair race. At least against my kid. He’s too busy gnawing at the arm rests to try and learn to spin the wheels.

Wink.
    .-= Redneck Mommy´s last blog ..Other People’s Children =-.

21. Shelley May 19, 2010 at 9:58 PM #

Supermans got nothing on you! You’re doing IT, maybe the steps aren’t as big as you’d like BUT they are happening. You’re an inspiration never forget that.

22. Jess May 19, 2010 at 9:58 PM #

I say we, as a collective love lump, should pimp your ride. I mean flames and streamers never looked so good. I’ll order the ass-less chaps…

23. Leslie/PenguinPapers May 19, 2010 at 9:44 PM #

I so freaking love you. Can’t say it any other way.
    .-= Leslie/PenguinPapers´s last blog ..Wait, where am I? =-.

24. Shnerfle May 19, 2010 at 9:42 PM #

I was trapped in a wheelchair for six months, when I was a kid, and even then, I remember thinking that it wouldn’t be forever, the stares, the clumsy attempts to turn corners or up ramps. I remember hating it, and being grateful that I was healing, and hating it even more. But you? You are a freaking ROCKSTAR. You’re a badass. You make superman look like a loser in a cape. And I’ll bet that you wear your undies on the outside.

25. Janet Isserlis May 19, 2010 at 9:42 PM #

yes. you go. as you can, on your time. sending hugs

26. tricia May 19, 2010 at 9:41 PM #

And you are WonderWoman!

27. Loukia May 19, 2010 at 9:39 PM #

You are an amazing and strong woman and mother. I’m sorry you get mad sometimes, I know I would, too. And I don’t know what else to say, and I don’t want to say something like ‘count your blessings’ because I know you do. Just know you’re awesome. And super cool.

28. paula schuck May 19, 2010 at 9:39 PM #

I love Artie. His voice is sick, truly. Stay strong, you are an inspiration.

Paula
    .-= paula schuck´s last blog ..Social Media: How to Maximize Use of Linked In =-.

29. Amy May 19, 2010 at 9:38 PM #

You are an amazing woman and your posts are so inspiring – I tear up every time. Keep ‘em coming. Miss you!

30. Amelia Sprout May 19, 2010 at 9:37 PM #

Lady, you’re Superwoman.
    .-= Amelia Sprout´s last blog ..How to Build a Square Foot/Container Garden =-.