i got a new talent and it doesn’t involve cherry stems and knots

I was surprised when my whiny (YES, WHINY) post encouraged non-commenters to comment.  I don’t even know how to tell you that I wasn’t expecting people to actually come out of the woodwork to be REALLY kind and say lovely, squishy things that kept me going on a day when I just wanted to roll over in bed and bang my head against the wall.  Hard.  Often.

It was a learning experience for me.

Maybe you forget that I see ME every day and I have to hear ME every day too.  So I don’t always notice the differences that you do.

The changes in writing is something that had gone unnoticed.  In the midst of moving hands and lifting feet, cognitive skills like my writing can pass me by.  You made me stop and take notice of the fact that in all those months there has been change.

You all gave that back to me.

You gave me something to be proud about.  A skill that has grown and improved over time. Not something everyone will notice, or even care about, but something that has left me feeling full and sassy, capable of taking over the world.

Or going to Wal-mart on Saturday.

Maybe.

Well.

It is just writing we’re talking about.

35 Responses to i got a new talent and it doesn’t involve cherry stems and knots

1. Courtnay July 2, 2010 at 1:42 AM #

Anissa –
    I don’t remember which blog brought me to yours, but I have been an onlooker now for quite a while reading and absorbing every syllable you type. I have a few thoughts that I would like to share with you in response to a couple of your most recent posts. First – (in response to “do people comment because they have things to say or they feel they have to”) – After reading this entry, the first thought that popped into my mind was “this is Anissa’s best post EVER!” The honesty you bring to the table is so appreciated that you cannot even imagine. I cannot tell you how many times I have wondered if a blogger actually cares whether or not people read or comment. You speak your mind, and in this world, that is rare. Second – (in response to “I got a new talent and it doesn’t involve cherry stems and knots”) – you said, “It is just writing.” But it is not just writing. I try to explain to my students all of the time that information processing involves three things – taking the information in with your eyes, processing it in your mind, and reproducing it in writing. You continually conquer 3 incredibly challenging feats simply by blogging. Third – (in response to “just when you think your day is bad”) – I can only imagine how many people read your blog, but your journey through strokes and your daughter’s cancer certainly works as a constant reminder that perhaps things are not as bad as they could be. But not only that. You – Anissa Mayhew – show people that they can surpass all odds and come out on the other end shining like a bright star. Thank you. For being you. For being honest. For not giving up.

Courtnay

2. Eileen July 1, 2010 at 11:52 AM #

Dude, lurker here.
    I’ve got four working limbs and even I wouldn’t attempt Walmart on a Sunday. That place is dangerous!

Seriously though? Your writing is really coming along. But, its sort of like losing a bunch of weight. Even though you “know” your pants are fitting better, you don’t “feel” like you “look” better, until someone tells you. Or at least that’s how it goes with me. :-)

Hang in there.

3. Suzymom July 1, 2010 at 12:50 AM #

Go, Anissa, Go!

4. Susie June 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM #

“A writing mentor years ago told me to years ago that the best writers have learned to make “every word count”.

See, Anissa? *Chuckle* I told you that you’d be published before me! With goofs like above, I better find a dang good editor! I meant to say: A writing mentor years ago told me that the best writers have learned to make “every word count”.

There, I feel better!

5. Susie June 30, 2010 at 7:07 PM #

Anissa, you said: “It is just writing we’re talking about.”

Yes, it is and that’s why I come back. I’ve wanted to be a writer since the 4th grade. I’m betting you’ll be published before me! It’s not just your compelling story, it’s the combination of strength and humor in your writing.

A writing mentor years ago told me to years ago that the best writers have learned to make “every word count”. Now that (at the moment) you are typing one-handed and everything takes so much effort (I know– my mom had a stroke), you are doing just that!

Each word you write is a triumph. As for your readers like me, each word is a gift; I savor each one like fine wine…

6. Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) June 30, 2010 at 4:22 PM #

Woohoo! Write (and shop) on girlfriend!
    .-= Janice (5 Minutes for Mom)´s last blog ..Tackle it Tuesday — The Summer Calendar =-.

7. Lisa June 30, 2010 at 3:47 PM #

Another lurker coming out of the woodwork. I love coming to your blog and reading your posts. Your battle to regain control is inspiring. Please keep writing.

Lisa
    Hampshire, UK
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Please can someone turn the thermostat down =-.

8. Kate June 30, 2010 at 3:08 PM #

Target, FOR THE WIN! I can’t even walk into the WalMart here without wanting a shower.

As a mother, I feel like we should all have each others backs. I happen to LOVE your blog and LOVE knowing that I’m not the only mom on the planet who has bad days :) .

9. ThePeachy1 June 30, 2010 at 12:39 PM #

Not walmart.. Maybe Target.. definitely not walmart. Keep rocking.

10. Emily June 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM #

Anissa,

Your writing is amazing! Keep it up!

11. J Berg June 30, 2010 at 10:45 AM #

I’m an one of your lurkers coming out of the woodwork. Please don’t quit writing, I love you and don’t even know you! You’re body may be working a little slower, but your mind is right on target! Your humor and insight is amazing!! Keep blogging!!

12. Elizabeth Kaylene June 30, 2010 at 10:31 AM #

That’s right, Anissa — kick ass and take names! You’re doing great!
    .-= Elizabeth Kaylene´s last blog ..myLOL- How the past will make me stronger for the future =-.

13. Kristin June 30, 2010 at 9:19 AM #

Wal-Mart on Saturday…the next day you’ll conquer the world.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..142 days and counting =-.

14. Amanda June 30, 2010 at 8:19 AM #

Haven’t commented in a while but wanted to take the time today and agree with all the others that I too have noticed that your writing is getting back into ‘YOUR’ style! And what a style it is!

You’ve come and are going to go a long way. I cannot imagine how hard some days are but I’m so glad that after a difficult one there is a better one that comes around right after it.

Thinking of you today.

15. Cort June 30, 2010 at 8:06 AM #

I’m glad you’re feeling better about the SERVICE you provide. We all come to this site and read to cheer you on, send positive energy, but to also be inspired! Don’t you dare leave us hanging in cyberspace!
    .-= Cort´s last blog ..Imaginary ghost appendages that still feel and move and crawl away and get into kitchen chemicals =-.

16. kara June 30, 2010 at 7:41 AM #

Welcome to Wal-Mart…get your sh*t and get out. Just getting you ready fir the greetings!

17. CJ June 30, 2010 at 7:37 AM #

The evil empire? Really? On purpose? Almost as if you’re looking forward to it?

What, isn’t there a Target or Costco where you live?

18. Jeanette June 30, 2010 at 4:25 AM #

Go!! Shopping is good for everyone… well unless you have whiny kids in tow :)
    .-= Jeanette´s last blog ..A Thank You from Jacqui and Richard =-.

19. lori June 30, 2010 at 4:14 AM #

That’s right! I also enjoy your blog because of your sass! I think your titles are so clever. These blogs are notes for your book. I hope you still plan on writing your book.

20. Megan June 30, 2010 at 12:37 AM #

I am a bad non-commenter, who now realizes I should have been commenting. If just to say, I found your blog because of the compelling story behind it. But I keep coming back to read it because you are dang funny. Thanks for making me laugh, even when you don’t always feel like laughing yourself.
    .-= Megan´s last blog ..The Write Stuff =-.

21. Melinda June 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM #

What they said:Walmart on a Saturday is bad enough, but a holiday weekend???!!

That said, I will going to Sams Club Friday afternoon. lol

22. Colleen June 29, 2010 at 11:40 PM #

Wal-Mart, really? Come on, just when I thought you were perfect……. :)

23. pgoodness June 29, 2010 at 11:13 PM #

It’s funny, I was just reading your past few posts (a little behind over here!) and thinking that your writing is getting stronger – your sentences longer and ideas written out more. Which totally means you’re taking over the world (again). :) And I know the physical is probably changing more than you think it is, too. xo
    .-= pgoodness´s last blog ..Space Room =-.

24. Melisa with one S June 29, 2010 at 11:00 PM #

Wal Mart? icky.

See? You ARE strong. haha
    .-= Melisa with one S´s last blog ..Couch To 5K Update- Aerobics Flashback =-.

25. Tug June 29, 2010 at 10:41 PM #

My (ex) husband was shot & left paralyzed. My nephew was in a car accident & in a coma, now doing OK but there is brain damage. I get the ‘not noticing small things’…but Anissa, you are truly an inspiration. The button in the rice was the first I’d read of you, I’ve been following since.

There will be bad days. There will be times when you thing you’re not going anywhere…or going backwards even. Just please always remember all that you HAVE DONE. All that you HAVE IN YOU.

You’re allowed bad days. Hell, even the healthiest of people have them. Not everyone (including the healthiest of people) could do what you do. every.day.

((HUGS)) <3 and prayers to you, and to your family. You ARE, seriously, an inspiration.
    .-= Tug´s last blog ..Whispy =-.

26. Becky June 29, 2010 at 10:37 PM #

Wal Mart? On a holiday weekend? You’re a much braver woman than I thought.

27. Karen June 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM #

Writing with a wicked sense of sarcastic humor that I LOVE.
    You are my hero.

28. Erin June 29, 2010 at 10:18 PM #

Dude.

Walmart on a SATURDAY?!

I don’t know whether to wonder if you’re brave or high.

…Maybe you’re experiencing that weird phenomenon where people believe that they’re high on life. I’m not quite so sure I want to experience said high if it involves walmart on a weekend. That shit is crazy yo! :P

PS – Goodluck taking over the world…I hear those 65+ (75+ 85+?) walmart greeters can be easily charmed. Be sure to wear lots of polyester and don’t forget your socks with sandals for extra points! Slip ‘em a metamucil and world domination will be yours in no time!

….One ‘small’ trip to walmart for Anissa, a new world leader for the people! :P

Hot damn..I think you’re on to something :)
    .-= Erin´s last blog ..Summah TimeAnd The Livin Is =-.

29. drlori71 June 29, 2010 at 10:05 PM #

Don’t you have a Target? :-)
    Walmart, Target, doesn’t really matter where…just go & take over the world!
    .-= drlori71´s last blog ..Oh Poop- =-.

30. Midwest Mommy June 29, 2010 at 10:01 PM #

I think you are doing awesome!

31. Wanda June 29, 2010 at 9:59 PM #

We hit Wal Mart today. It was an interesting trip. Remind me to tell you about it sometime…:S
    .-= Wanda´s last blog ..Important Update =-.

32. emily June 29, 2010 at 9:51 PM #

It isn’t “just” writing. It’s a great big huge deal. Celebrate it! Bask in it! Write about WalMart with it!
    .-= emily´s last blog ..Feeling so very MADD =-.

33. Shirley June 29, 2010 at 9:45 PM #

I hope, if you go to Walmart, it’s in the morning… pay day will be here soon, and people get all funky crazy at Walmart.
    .-= Shirley´s last blog ..Dreams =-.

34. Angela June 29, 2010 at 9:36 PM #

Scott and I were discussing you at his wedding and how we have seen you start at a partial sentence, a small thought, all in small letters, to the amazing thoughts you are able to express. You make us cry with you, laugh with you and keep us in your life. Thank you for sharing.
    I love you,
    Angela

35. Shana June 29, 2010 at 9:30 PM #

Going to Wal Mart on Saturday IS taking over the world. DO IT, one discount retailer at a time.