i should have stuck with “Pride and Prejudice”

During those first months home I tried to read Pete’s posts about our time in the many hospitals.

I read and read and then I came to the point where I read like any other stranger would.  I got to the days I don’t have any memory and coma was more than a bad joke.

I stopped reading.

This weekend I gave it another go.

I don’t even have words to explain how hard it was.

It was reading my obituary…with nice comments.

It was great to see how many people took the time and cared enough to support my husband.

There was even weirdness with news stories.

But, never forgetting that I was there and most doctors would tell my husband to say goodbye.

To tell the kids to say goodbye.

Yet, here I am.

Always determined. Always fighting.  Always working harder.

Never giving up the way the way they expected.

39 Responses to i should have stuck with “Pride and Prejudice”

1. Scary Mommy June 9, 2010 at 7:33 AM #

You amaze me.

2. Jenny June 8, 2010 at 4:58 AM #

Hey, there’s no rule that says you have to read it. But if you do decide you need to, I say do it all at once, like ripping off a band-aid. Then just focus on the joy you bring to the world. :)

3. anymommy June 7, 2010 at 11:14 PM #

Flat out, balls to the wall (or maybe boobs to the wall) amazing!

4. moosh in indy. June 7, 2010 at 11:01 PM #

While you weren’t with us it was like looking at a puzzle with a missing piece, you could tell what the picture was but it wasn’t complete without you.

5. Stephanie June 7, 2010 at 10:48 PM #

I always imagined he read the comments to you, every day. Maybe he did. And I wondered if you’d go back and read and what that would be like. Oh, Anissa, I’m so glad you’re on this side now, you are a constant miracle, and reminder to us all to never give up hope.

Steph
    .-= Stephanie´s last blog ..Pick your battles, and other tales from my time in prison. =-.

6. laura June 7, 2010 at 10:00 PM #

you know what? everyone here knew it too. from the moment we heard, we knew you had it kicked in the ass already. you just needed time. you still do, but you’ve come this far already. i have no doubt that you’ll keep going. you are truly, the most unbelievable, inspiring person i know.
    .-= laura´s last blog ..Time Capsule =-.

7. Eternal Lizdom June 7, 2010 at 8:10 PM #

You are an amazing woman. Strong, powerful, courageous, amazing.
    .-= Eternal Lizdom´s last blog ..Daddy, The Hero =-.

8. Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] June 7, 2010 at 7:54 PM #

You always gotta do the opposite of what people say you should, and this time, THIS TIME, you’re kicking major ass while you do it.
    .-= Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing]´s last blog ..The blah blah MEHs =-.

9. Susie June 7, 2010 at 7:02 PM #

You know how “google” is now a verb? From now on, when anyone comes back from seemingly-impossible odds, it will be called: “pulled an Anissa”.

Keep on fighting, girl! What an inspiration you are…

10. Sara Joy June 7, 2010 at 1:39 PM #

None of us expected anything less than for you to shock the bejeebers out of a set of silly doctors. I know how painful it is go back and re-read moments that were lived in another time…another life. But I hope someday those moments will inspire you further, drive you, and bring some kind of joy and peace to your heart knowing that YOU. BEAT. IT.
    You’re amazing lady, not surprised, but really glad to have you back.

11. Amanda Benjamin June 7, 2010 at 10:43 AM #

hey baby luv…..nothing surprises me anymore. You and your glowing energy and the beast that lives in you called will power have taught me so much…thank you oh great and wise one…..the beast that lives in me is feeding from you. grrrr

12. Kristin June 7, 2010 at 10:28 AM #

Your Anissa Mayhew…of course, you are fighting. Of course, you are never giving up. Of course you are going to make it back. You are truly amazing.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..Ummmm, what does this say about me? =-.

13. Angella June 7, 2010 at 10:25 AM #

It must be so hard to go back and read. I was scared we’d lose you, yes, but knew that if anyone could make it, it would be you.
    .-= Angella´s last blog ..Sometimes No Means Yes =-.

14. kara potterbaum June 7, 2010 at 9:49 AM #

When I told my husband of your stroke and what the doctors were saying. He said out loud my thoughts which were… They don’t know Anissa do they? Always in our prayers!

15. Amy June 7, 2010 at 9:25 AM #

I’m glad there’s a record of the battle you fought. It deserves having been written down somewhere for the world, and you, to read. You’re amazing!

16. Maria June 7, 2010 at 8:54 AM #

You are fucking amazing. Never doubted you!
    .-= Maria´s last blog ..[Updated] Hoping this doesn’t turn into “Young v. Board of Education” =-.

17. Barnmaven June 7, 2010 at 8:18 AM #

What a surreal feeling it has to be to read that. To have you back in the community is priceless.
    .-= Barnmaven´s last blog ..Mommy doesn’t do blood =-.

18. Dave2 June 7, 2010 at 8:09 AM #

And I’m thankful every day for that when I see your smiling face in my Twitter feed! :-)
    .-= Dave2´s last blog ..2012 =-.

19. Julie Presley June 7, 2010 at 7:58 AM #

And he always said you would be! Those were some of my favorites. “They don’t know my wife!” he said so many times!

20. Jenty June 7, 2010 at 7:43 AM #

Can just imagine. I feel similarly about reading about the time Connor was in NICU… and that’s not nearly the same
    .-= Jenty´s last blog ..She stole my photo =-.

21. Adrienne June 7, 2010 at 12:07 AM #

Babe, those doctors, they don’t know you.

And although most of these names on the interwebs have never been squeezed by you they KNOW you. They KNOW you will kick some major Kitten ass before you will let anything or anybody take you away from your family.

Whether you can squeeze me again or not…I can’t wait to squeeze you!
    .-= Adrienne´s last blog ..Get Him to the Greek =-.

22. Headless Mom June 6, 2010 at 11:15 PM #

You are an inspiration. We’re still praying for you, you know. It must have been so hard to read all of that–but at least you knew the outcome! Love ya lady!

23. Maria June 6, 2010 at 9:50 PM #

You are such a fighter! I came across your other blog through a link and I was hooked as Peter wrote! He was pulling for you, all these other people (most who you don’t even know) were pulling for you, I just couldn’t help but pull for you, too.

I keep telling myself that if I’m in a situation like this some day, I’m going to fight like Anissa. You are such an inspiration…really, you are. There are no words to tell you how you’ve touched my life in the last few months.

Sappy…yes. Sorry.

24. mommabird2345 June 6, 2010 at 9:23 PM #

It’s amazing how far you’ve come. You are such a amazingly strong person. You are AWESOME!!! :)

25. Amanda June 6, 2010 at 9:22 PM #

You are so loved because you are never what people expect. You can set your watch by it, and yet, you are as reliable and worthy of trust as anyone. How lucky the world is that the two of you have created more life.
    .-= Amanda´s last blog ..Schooled =-.

26. Melisa with one S June 6, 2010 at 9:08 PM #

You’re a Monkey Fighter AND a Monkey Humper. (Ask Angie.)
    .-= Melisa with one S´s last blog ..I Nearly Gave Myself Whiplash With This One. =-.

27. Lisa June 6, 2010 at 9:05 PM #

Those doctors obviously underestimated the awesome fighting power of THE Anissa.
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..The Chimes at City Garden =-.

28. Hockeymandad June 6, 2010 at 8:42 PM #

Way to kick the nay-sayers in the balls and sack tap the doubters! If I ever take up UFC fighting, I totally want you in my corner for inspiration and motivation.
    .-= Hockeymandad´s last blog ..Perfect Laziness =-.

29. Charisse Jones!!! June 6, 2010 at 8:41 PM #

I think you were amazing. And I was thinking about his posts the other day. And wondering if you had the strength to go through and read them yet. I don’t think I would have. I barely have the strength to go back and read through stuff that I wrote myself during hard times. I can not imagine the strength it has taken you to pull through as much as you have thus far. And you keep on kicking butt and taking names!!!

30. Kyooty June 6, 2010 at 8:37 PM #

But you are reading them, you are here now and now is good and forward is better, hugs and prayers!!!
    .-= Kyooty´s last blog ..VGNO- Date Night at the KyootyCenter =-.

31. Melissa June 6, 2010 at 8:31 PM #

Your humor through this makes you so endearing to me! I will pray for you & your family as you continue towards healing. God bless you guys!
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..How Does Your Garden Grow? =-.

32. Lucretia Pruitt June 6, 2010 at 8:25 PM #

Babe… you should wait until you are looking back at the 5 year mark before you read that stuff. Just because it was blogged & reported and Internet-embodied doesn’t mean you should go back and relive it from the other side.

You’ve got enough to focus on hitting every day hard.

And I love that you’re now my 2nd friend who has beaten the “she probably won’t make it back from this” multiple-stroke, how-the-heck-did-she-survive-that, brain hemorrhaging thing. It gives me hope in dark times.

(((hug)))
    .-= Lucretia Pruitt´s last blog ..Social Media Marketing’s Dirty Little Secret =-.

33. Shirley June 6, 2010 at 8:07 PM #

You’re all a family of fighters, you proved that a while ago!
    .-= Shirley´s last blog ..Procrastination, It’s What We Do! =-.

34. Fairly Odd Mother June 6, 2010 at 8:00 PM #

Yes, you are a fighter. I’d pick you for my team any day.

I just heard of a family friend’s boyfriend who just had a massive stroke today. You were the first person I thought of as an example of someone who beat the odds. I hope he can “pull an Anissa” and get through this too.
    .-= Fairly Odd Mother´s last blog ..Want to be lazy at PR? Fill in the blanks =-.

• Sabruna November 25, 2012 at 1:27 AM #

that’s one of the reasons why i love ndntenio, they are so original with their games, they always come up with surprises i’m really excited for this game, is a shame alot of people can’t apreciate a good piece or art like this just because is not realistic, is very sad, by the way, realistic is not “hardcore” like many people say, that’s just a visual gimmick, i would rather see this kind of beautifull and original graphics than some realistic detailed one that’s just gonna impress me for some minutes, anyway i can’t wait to play this game, i’m sure is gonna be an amazing game

35. The Only Minx June 6, 2010 at 7:55 PM #

I must admit, Anissa, I didn’t know you before the second (and THIRD) strokes. All I knew was the very last entry that you wrote about the laundry mountain that had to be conquered before you could go on your cruise. Then strokes 2 & 3 happened, and the docs weren’t sure that you could come back. And I saw how much love the world has for you and you for it. I also saw the love and determination of a woman and her husband who just wanted their family healthy and happy in one place again. I was blown away.
    Give it a little more time before you read of these times again. Perhaps then it won’t seem as much an obituary as a celebration of what love can do (that and a WHOLE LOT of stubbornness).

36. pgoodness June 6, 2010 at 7:27 PM #

It was scary (hello, understatement!), and I’m sure Peter faltered a time or two, being human and all, but at the end of the day, we ALL had faith you were coming home and no one thought you were going to give up.

So glad you didn’t.
    .-= pgoodness´s last blog ..My kids are goofy (video) =-.

37. Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) June 6, 2010 at 7:26 PM #

Anissa, I was wondering just the other day if you’d read those posts… especially the early ones. And now I know. :)

And I’m sure it was SO hard.

38. Secret Agent Mama - Mishelle Lane June 6, 2010 at 7:25 PM #

You.are.a.fighter. !!!!
    .-= Secret Agent Mama – Mishelle Lane´s last blog ..Animal Attraction =-.