The kids asked dad what he wanted for Father’s Day.  He, very honestly, said nothing.

He wanted to relax, chill out, do the things that guys like to do.

The kids wanted him to do all his normal dad chores.

They didn’t understand each others definition of nothing.

It’s hard not to sympathize with both sides.

How do you tell kids that their ideas suck and they should organize better, as well as have the best of intent?

Then tell your husband that he has every right to expect to get a day without a bunch of crap going on and without the kids’ needs first.

How much does it blow to be that part of everything that is more work than it was supposed to be?  You’re the squeaky wheel that needs oil.  You are the sand that gets in your bathing suit seat. And rubs. RUBS. RUBS!

Y-O-U are the reason why they say they “need a break from it all’.

Happy You Day

12 Responses to i used to be good at holidays and stuff, now it’s just a day to suck….with cards

1. MommyNamedApril June 22, 2010 at 12:09 AM #

i can assure you, it wouldn’t be much of a father’s day without mother.

(((hugs)))
    .-= MommyNamedApril´s last blog ..I Can’t Believe I’m Recapping Another Week Already. Oh Yeh, and Happy Monday to You. =-.

2. Miss Britt June 21, 2010 at 9:43 PM #

And you are totally and absolutely worth any resulting chaffing.

Honest. I know Peter would agree.
    .-= Miss Britt´s last blog ..The littlest hard parts =-.

3. Barnmaven June 21, 2010 at 9:35 PM #

Moms are always the ones making it “happen” for everyone else; we seem to be wired that way. I hear your frustration at not being able to provide your husband with a day off, even though we all know your family would much rather have you here with them, that the alternative is unthinkable.

I respect your honesty in relating your feelings and frustration. I can’t imagine what you go through every single day trying to get better, dealing with a slowly healing body and brain.
    .-= Barnmaven´s last blog ..Dad =-.

4. Rachel ~ Southern Fairytale June 21, 2010 at 9:33 PM #

babycakes.
    hugs.
    love.
    love.
    love.

5. Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] June 21, 2010 at 7:11 PM #

You Mayhews have so much awesome swirling around your pretty little heads.
    .-= Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing]´s last blog ..My obligatory Father’s Day post. =-.

6. ThePeachy1 June 21, 2010 at 6:51 PM #

Wow, I mean this is the first holiday in a long long time someone in your family wasn’t in the hospital or in treatment so I would think of it as a chance to be doing a damn I am a lucky man dance, sure I will fire up the grill and drag you guys around on my shoulders day… Perspective. Yesterday 10 dads here gave up there fathers day lounge rights to go and pay homage to my dad and the life he has lived, the dug up his garden, fixed shelves in his garage and stood in 115 heat index over a hot grill… That’s what awesome is made of. I saw thousands of people jump express their love and gratitude for you and your influence and friendship.. don’t for one second think you suck.. but if you need to , you can always be the poop in my punch bowl. I love you that much.

7. Kristin June 21, 2010 at 5:39 PM #

Oh honey, he may need a break but he is so very glad you are there to be the squeaky wheel or the sand in the bathing suit.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..The Oh My! Meme =-.

8. Melisa with one S June 21, 2010 at 3:51 PM #

I can’t say it better than the others have already. (((Hugs)))
    .-= Melisa with one S´s last blog ..Parenting Phase One? Complete. =-.

9. CJ June 21, 2010 at 3:15 PM #

I can only agree with what has been said before. Your family has been through a lot and I can guarantee you that any one of them would prefer for it to be THIS way than to not have you. It’s change. It’s hard. It’s unfair. It sucks. But it’s worth living. It’s worth laughing. It’s worth LOVING.
    .-= CJ´s last blog ..Only Human =-.

10. kathy jo June 21, 2010 at 2:54 PM #

YOU are the reason that they keep doing it.
    YOU are the one who has taught them to live for someone else.
    YOU are the one who has showed them that time really does heal.
    YOU are the one who has taught them to appreciate every minute.
    YOU are still the loving, nurturing Mama & Wife you have always been.
    YOU are now teaching with a curriculum you didn’t have BS (Before Stroke)

I too have had to learn to live in slow motion. It was/is hard.
    I try to hang on to the fact that its not bad, just different.
    Slow is the new cool, baby!!!

Carry on my brave, brave Sister.
    Carry. Your. Bad Ass ON!!!! OOOOWW WOOO!

11. Courtney June 21, 2010 at 2:50 PM #

Never ever forget that you are the reason that they are strong enough to handle everything that has come to pass. You are not a bother, you are worth all of it.
    .-= Courtney´s last blog ..WAKEY! WAKEY! Music for Monday. =-.

12. Brittany June 21, 2010 at 2:44 PM #

I can’t fully understand the stress, or the worry. But I can understand the love, and at the end of the day, that’s what left.

Loving your family and being thankful that it’s there. Intact. Whole.

That’s the point anyway, right?
    .-= Brittany ´s last blog ..Father’s Day 4: It just keeps getting better. =-.