penny for penny…unless you don’t do math and then you’re screwed

I spent a lot of time waiting on doctors today.

Something I’m pretty used to doing.

Before I was the “coma mom” or the “wheelchair mom”,  I was always the “cancer mom”.

I had two healthy legs and two healthy arms and if THIS is the price I pay for my daughter’s healthy body, I’ll gladly pay it.

Remembering back to the day when I would lay by her side, crying out my every dream, promising and swearing anything if she could just be alright.

And today proves she is.

The papers with her CBC counts tell us what we want wanted to know most.

She is healthy.  She’s alright.

And if I’m not right now, that’s what I always said would be the price I’d pay with thanks.  It helps to think that there’s a reason for what we’ve all gone through.

My daughter.

She’s well worth the price.

33 Responses to penny for penny…unless you don’t do math and then you’re screwed

1. Lucretia Pruitt June 6, 2010 at 8:39 PM #

I’m getting caught up… this just made me all squishy happy!! :)
    .-= Lucretia Pruitt´s last blog ..Social Media Marketing’s Dirty Little Secret =-.

2. kristenkj June 4, 2010 at 6:42 PM #

AWESOME!!! So very happy for you.
    .-= kristenkj´s last blog ..Longing =-.

3. SparkGirl June 4, 2010 at 7:33 AM #

OMG this SO made me cry…. big fat happy tears for you!
    .-= SparkGirl´s last blog ..Wedding, bank robbers, and where can I get some decent drugs? =-.

4. Headless Mom June 4, 2010 at 12:24 AM #

Yay!!!!!!

5. Tracy Solomon June 3, 2010 at 5:23 PM #

So glad to hear that Peyton is doing well!! Always good news when those counts come in great!

Missed her at the FFTC event and of course you:)

Anissa, I have to say, I am always glad to read anything from you whether it be in your blog, on FB or a tweet. It is just getting things back, even if they aren’t like they “used to be” is extra special.

I think we have all learned to appreciate the smallest things in life even if we face a lot of obstacles along the way and during each day, we tend to really notice those little things we maybe didn’t notice before everything hit us so hard. You have been hit really hard twice.

You are always in our prayers. Each of you are.

Love, Tracy
    .-= Tracy Solomon´s last blog ..Is America Being Micro-Managed =-.

6. tricia mumby June 3, 2010 at 8:02 AM #

oh, such good news!!

7. Jen Harley June 3, 2010 at 7:49 AM #

Pure awesomeness. This is fantastic news!!
    .-= Jen Harley´s last blog ..HarleyChick76: YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! I know you can and you WILL. RT @AnissaMayhew: i have physical therapy today…i will walk today =-.

8. tricia June 3, 2010 at 2:55 AM #

Congratulations! That is such good news! I know how much of a weight that is off your shoulders!

9. Ktbug Ladydid June 2, 2010 at 10:28 PM #

THIS IS FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!!!! I’M SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
    .-= Ktbug Ladydid´s last blog ..so peeved I could kick something. =-.

10. Nicole June 2, 2010 at 7:08 PM #

I cheered out loud when I read about Peyton-WOO HOO! That is sooo awesome :)

11. Pattie June 2, 2010 at 5:06 PM #

It’s wonderful to read that Peyton is doing well! :)
    .-= Pattie´s last blog ..Scene From a Marriage # 18,923 =-.

12. Mary @ Holy Mackerel June 2, 2010 at 5:03 PM #

Oh, can I relate…I’ve said this so many times now, it’s my mantra.

13. Diane June 2, 2010 at 1:33 PM #

WEEPING. The good, happy tears, but still.

So, so glad to hear your little one is keeping well.
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Girl Talk Thursday – BOOKS! =-.

14. Jess June 2, 2010 at 1:08 PM #

My body is tingly with happy-happy giggle bumps.

15. Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels June 2, 2010 at 1:05 PM #

This really resonates with me. I think as moms we’d always wish to trade our good health in for that of our children, no doubt about it.

Though few can say to have gone through even a fraction of what you and your family have braved in the past few years, these sentiments are incredibly universal.
    .-= Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels´s last blog ..Maybe they’ll make a Disney movie out of this. With a Swiss-Italian toddler instead of a French mouse. =-.

16. DivineENVE June 2, 2010 at 1:00 PM #

Wow. I hope someday to be a fraction of the mother you are. You’re such an inspiration, Anissa!
    .-= DivineENVE´s last blog ..Age (in)appropriate questions =-.

17. Anita Turner June 2, 2010 at 4:00 AM #

Yay! That is great news for Peyton and your family! And junk-punching is necessary with miscommunications like that. But at least you can eat salad now!

18. The Lass June 2, 2010 at 2:11 AM #

Oh, I am so happy to read that!! Yay!!

19. Loralee June 2, 2010 at 2:00 AM #

Big sigh of relief there.
    xoxo
    .-= Loralee´s last blog ..Totally NOT me. =-.

20. Ali @PickleSugarPlum June 2, 2010 at 12:59 AM #

Anissa:

This IS good news…and I totally get you. In the few times I’ve been terrified (never even an IOTA of the level to which you’ve been), I would have done ANYTHING, given anything, TAKEN anything (illness, etc), just to have my child get through with minimal trauma.

To me, pain is only temporary…to them, temporary is an eternity…which means pain is eternal…I’d take their pain any day over watching them suffer and witnessing the fear that grips them.

Again, you’ve made me cry. Happy and bittersweet tears. Tears of complete and utter understanding.

You prove, yet again, what an amazing woman and mother you are. Peyton is a lucky little princess to have you in her life.

21. Lex (@laprimera) June 2, 2010 at 12:22 AM #

This? Made my night! Love to you and Peyton… and well, all you Mayhews! xoxo
    .-= Lex (@laprimera)´s last blog ..first comes love =-.

22. The Mayor June 1, 2010 at 10:54 PM #

Peyton’s ever improving health is something to celebrate.

I’ve had a child suffer a trauma that made him teeter on that line of life/death and you do promise to gladly suffer for them. I’m sure God appreciates the sentiment but in reality he’s got more than enough love for you and your daughter to raise you both to full health.
    .-= The Mayor´s last blog ..I Am Very Put Out =-.

23. Desera June 1, 2010 at 10:42 PM #

I’m so glad her counts are good! this post made me cry though! you two girls rock!

24. Susan (5 Minutes for Mom) June 1, 2010 at 10:37 PM #

I can imagine I would feel the very same way. There’s nothing we moms wouldn’t give up for our children to be healthy and happy.

I’m so happy to hear that her test results were clear. What a wonderful miracle.
    .-= Susan (5 Minutes for Mom)´s last blog ..Tackle it Tuesday — When your dog turns green… =-.

25. Chrystal June 1, 2010 at 10:28 PM #

Awesome. :)
    .-= Chrystal´s last blog ..The Dark Days of Hamburger Halpin =-.

26. domestic Extraordinaire June 1, 2010 at 10:24 PM #

I am so happy for you, but you already knew that.

xo

27. robin June 1, 2010 at 10:15 PM #

Ahhh, this one brought tears. We all think things like you did when we want a different outcome for our family, but not very often do we see the results after the fact and still feel the same. Your spirit is filled with grace and beauty.

28. kara potterbaum June 1, 2010 at 9:29 PM #

You got that right!

29. Editdebs June 1, 2010 at 8:59 PM #

So, so happy for the good news. You and your daughter are amazing!

30. Molly June 1, 2010 at 8:55 PM #

YAY!

31. Lisa June 1, 2010 at 8:41 PM #

That is such amazing, awesome news!!!!
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..The Waiting Game =-.

32. ThePeachy1 June 1, 2010 at 8:40 PM #

WTG Peyton !!!! oh yeah and psst… you too Niss… Love you tuff as nails mayhew women.

33. Terry June 1, 2010 at 8:35 PM #

Ohhh this is awesome news! So happy for you and your healthy girl!!! You are blessed! And it’s good you recognize that! *hugs*
    .-= Terry´s last blog ..Post-It *Cough* Notes =-.