something i hope doesn’t happen again for a very long time

Last night I fell down.

The first time in forever, I wiped out.

And I laid on the floor with no way of getting up, feeling helpless and pretty stupid.

Now, there was no reason for me to feel foolish.  My weaker leg pulled up last minute and it caused me to get off balance and I grabbed for the wheelchair to steady myself,  but the angle was wrong and it all went OVER.  It was an accident, not because of silliness or carelessness but it’s going to happen sometime.

There is no way to tell someone flat on their back, staring up at the ceiling, alone in the dark, there’s no reason to feel stupid.

You can’t help it.

Even when you know you shouldn’t, you do anyway.

In all honesty you’ve probably never fallen on your back.  But try it sometime.  Get on your back.  Pretend you’re a turtle.

Realize there’s nothing you can do.

Falling can SUCKIT!!!

18 Responses to something i hope doesn’t happen again for a very long time

1. dina freeman June 25, 2010 at 11:54 PM #

Anissa – you kill me. You know how to make anything interesting to read.

2. Cheryl June 18, 2010 at 4:58 PM #

Do we need to buy you one of those “Help I’ve Fallen and I can’t get up” thingys? I too live in Canada and I’m a faller. I swear, I hurt myself *usually majorly* once a SEASON. That’s right. Just because it’s summer, doesn’t mean Cheryl can’t enjoy it from the view of a walking cast and crutches. So glad that you weren’t hurt though!!!
    .-= Cheryl´s last blog ..Our *BIG* Appointment =-.

3. Caet June 17, 2010 at 8:05 PM #

I fell out my front door, off the stoop onto the concrete walkway. Gave myself a sprained ankle and a concussion. Blacked out and had to call my neighbor from my cell to come help me. My only excuse? Sheer clumsiness and stupidity.
    At least you have an excuse!
    No one judges people who fall – omly those who don’t try to get up

4. Melisa with one S June 17, 2010 at 7:42 PM #

I hope you stay upright for a long, long time.
    Except when you want to sleep, that is. :)

Sorry about your fall! xoxo
    .-= Melisa with one S´s last blog ..Teenaged Boys Often Smell Good! (Really!) =-.

5. The Pony Lady June 17, 2010 at 1:23 PM #

At least you didn’t go hurrying down the hallway to let the old dog out, slip in the puddle of dog pee (cause ya didn’t make it in time), land flat on your back, and crack your head on the tile floor.
    Then, because of the intense pain and sparkly lights you see floating in the air, you lay there, marinating in the urine as your extremely helpful husband comes scurrying out of the bedroom to exclaim, “Where’d all this water come from?”
    Nope.
    That wasn’t you. It was me.
    And my child had to tell the ENTIRE school staff what happened.
    Perfect.
    At least they all prayed for me.

6. Becky June 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM #

I’m so glad you didn’t hurt anything other than your dignity. :-) *hugs*

7. Kristin June 17, 2010 at 10:33 AM #

Damn, that really blows.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..Urban Decay and Recreational Trespassing =-.

8. Nona June 17, 2010 at 10:16 AM #

I fall more often than I’d like to admit and have no good reason other than I’m clumsy. So you have nothing to be embarrassed about.
    But you are right. Helplessness is a terrible feeling. Sorry :-(

9. Argh, that must have been totally frustrating. I fall ALL THE TIME. I’m a faller. If there’s ice, I’m on my ass. And I live in Canada, which means I’ll be on my ass at least once a year each winter.

xo

10. maggie, dammit June 17, 2010 at 10:08 AM #

Ah, crap. Sorry love.
    .-= maggie, dammit´s last blog ..Pain is pain =-.

11. Melinda June 17, 2010 at 10:07 AM #

*huggles* Oh, that sucks! I hate falling, but have always been able to pick myself up again. I can’t imagine having to wait to get up off the floor. *another hug* I hope it doesn’t happen again.

12. CJ June 17, 2010 at 9:37 AM #

One thing I have learned about you from reading your blog and your story is this…..”That Anissa chick will ALWAYS get up. No matter what. No matter how difficult. No matter how often someone tells her she can’t. She will get up…..”
    .-= CJ´s last blog ..Go Cry In Your Hanky =-.

13. MFA Mama June 17, 2010 at 9:37 AM #

That totally bites. Also? Gravity sucks.

14. Ann Marie June 17, 2010 at 9:35 AM #

Sorry about your fall. The helplessness must have been overwhelming. Stay strong.

15. Maria June 17, 2010 at 9:31 AM #

Aw man. I hope it doesn’t happen for a very long time too.
    .-= Maria´s last blog ..Sometimes my Vocabulary Threatens to Narrow to a Few Choice Expletives =-.

16. Carla-Jill of All Trades June 17, 2010 at 9:30 AM #

Oh I hate falling. Careful, careful. It is a weird feeling and scary. I’ve done my share and it is just not good.
    .-= Carla-Jill of All Trades´s last blog ..Dance! =-.