the boy that’s about to be a man but still thinks rent should be free

I have a son that is one of the coolest kids around.

He’s a boy that’s going to become an amazing man someday.

Now, he’s lazy at taking out the trash, he only remembers the cat liter when an adult reminds him, he can be terribly careless when it comes to homework.

But he loves with his whole heart. He is capable of the most incredible hugs.  When he laughs he makes me laugh too.  When I was so sick he sang me songs that comforted me when nothing else could.  There are times that I feel like less than the mom I used to be, and that boy will curl up with me and tell me he’s just glad I’m there.

Few things in the world can equal his brand of love.

I wonder if it’s possible to make him understand what he’s done.  Maybe he’s old enough to get it.

He saved me.

With his kiss, he saved me.

With his arms, he saved me.

With his softly whispered words, he saved me.

This boy, with his slacker ways and less-than-stellar practices.

I don’t really care.

He’s perfect to me.

16 Responses to the boy that’s about to be a man but still thinks rent should be free

1. Betsy August 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM #

Slam dunkin like Shaquille O’Neal, if he wrote ifnormtvaie articles.

2. domestic extraordinaire July 1, 2010 at 2:34 PM #

He is such a great kid and he always hopped up to help when asked.
    .-= domestic extraordinaire´s last blog ..You Capture-The I Really Cant Read but Somehow Play a Writer on the Interwebs Edition =-.

3. Angi June 28, 2010 at 10:38 AM #

your words remind me so much of my own son. he’s got his faults, but NO ONE, loves me like he does. The love I get from my fiance, my daughter, my parents, my siblings….all different. That boy knows how to move me. I’m glad you have someone like him to make the hard days more tolerable, the easy days more enjoyable and the impossible days, well… possible.

4. Kathryn in Berlin June 27, 2010 at 2:39 PM #

I first read your post on receiving comments, and then I read this one. And even if I hadn’t read the “comment post”, I would have commented on this one, because it hit straight at my heart. I have a boy and a girl. Both vastly different from one another, both well loved. This was a wonderful, short, yet very effective post on a mother’s love…you most certainly do have a way with words!

5. kristenkj June 27, 2010 at 6:57 AM #

I can really appreciate this. I can truly understand that in spite of all of his little *tiny* faults, he is perfect.

Loved this.
    .-= kristenkj´s last blog ..My Dad =-.

6. Bridget June 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM #

My oldest still talks about him. He was so great about helping him keep up with the big kids. We must come back to visit soon. Let me know when you need me!
    .-= Bridget´s last blog ..Trading Spaces =-.

7. Kristin June 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM #

What a beautiful tribute.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..Photo Friday- Unexpected Loves =-.

8. Desera June 26, 2010 at 10:21 PM #

This post reminds me of the one Peter wrote about when you were upset at the hospital and it took Nathaniel singing Three Little Birds to calm you. Love this one as much as I loved that one. He is one special young man that loves his Mama! You continue to make me smile through the tears in my eyes! ♥

9. BecZhang June 26, 2010 at 10:15 PM #

There is nothing like the love of a son for his mother. Sounds like your son is a special person. You need to start giving your posts tissue ratings so I can be prepared.
    .-= BecZhang´s last blog ..the next person with a lame bumper sticker or sign gets the finger =-.

10. Melissa - Shrinking Jeans June 26, 2010 at 9:07 PM #

Love little men that can love their mamas so much.
    .-= Melissa – Shrinking Jeans´s last blog ..This One Time- At Summer Camp =-.

11. the Other Elle June 26, 2010 at 8:17 PM #

As Mom to a son who can’t seem to remember to pick up his dirty socks, I think I need to print this post and tape it on the mirror. Where I will see it every day (with luck, before I see last night’s socks on the living room lampshades.)

He thanks you.
    So do I.

12. Laura June 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM #

This has to be one of my favorite posts. As a mommy to a little boy that brought a tear to my eye. What a wonderful son you must have.
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Im baaaaack- =-.

13. Debbie June 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM #

I agree with Tara. And it says a lot about a “mom” who raises a kid like that. You did good!!

14. Melisa with one S June 26, 2010 at 6:12 PM #

Of course he is. And the great thing? Eventually, his slacker ways and less-than-stellar practices will mostly fade away, and you’ll be left with more real-life “perfection” than you ever could imagine right now.

(I have personal experience with this son thing) :)
    .-= Melisa with one S´s last blog ..Storming MSI Chicago =-.

15. Shirley June 26, 2010 at 4:38 PM #

Aww, that’s so sweet! What a great son!
    .-= Shirley´s last blog ..Oscar Mayer Thrill Of The Grill Party- Party Day- =-.

16. Tara R. June 26, 2010 at 4:38 PM #

It says a lot about a man, even a little man, that he is good to his mother. Sounds like he has that part down. Congrats on raising such a fine man.