the only time i’ll ever admit i let my husband be mean to me

I take a step carefully, with my walker always guided before me.

Hands are able to ensure my safety.

They’re full of needed strength and necessary love.

The voice is harsh as it barks it’s orders to walk, straighten the knee, or transfer the weight.

The same voice is soft, the lips are sweet as they brush a kiss of congratulations across my sweaty brow.

I take a deep breath and rest because I know that soon we’ll start again.

The mean and harsh every bit about love.

Same as the lovey sweetness.

Maybe more.

24 Responses to the only time i’ll ever admit i let my husband be mean to me

1. Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] June 6, 2010 at 12:04 PM #

Both of you are pretty amazing.

2. Adrianscrazylife June 6, 2010 at 12:32 AM #

You’re walking with a walker now? Congratulations! Seems like you’re making progress all over the place. Good for you.

3. Charisse Jones!!! June 5, 2010 at 11:42 PM #

He is the most awesome!!! I would let him be mean to me most days if I were you, also. Reading his raw heartfelt emotion for you while you were in the hospital was intense. Hearing how he would think about you and talk to you — you could tell it was harsh in the kindest sense possible. He didn’t want to let you give up. And even now…it seems he will not let you give up!!! Way to go, woman!!! I think you have a keeper. :-)

4. GuiltySquid June 5, 2010 at 11:32 PM #

I think you are so inspiring. I’ve been cheering you on, silently, from the sidelines – but today I’m telling you – You go, Girl! I’m so impressed.
    .-= GuiltySquid´s last blog ..I’d be a healthier adult if bears hadn’t been so conflicting for me at six. =-.

5. Brandie June 5, 2010 at 11:19 PM #

Awww…this is just one of the sweetest things. Very, very touching. You guys rock so much.
    .-= Brandie´s last blog ..Black Bean & Beer Soup + App Giveaway =-.

6. Julie Presley June 5, 2010 at 7:00 PM #

He loves you sooooo much. It was overwhelming in the posts he wrote while you were in the hospital. You guys are blessed to have each other!!! Maybe “they” will make a movie about your love :) Call Oprah, she’ll be all over it! But you might have to change your ethnicity ;)

• Julie Presley June 5, 2010 at 7:01 PM #

And what I meant by THAT, was for the MOVIE. Not like you’d actually have to go change your ethnicity. Crap. Why did I say that?

7. amanda June 5, 2010 at 2:59 PM #

Courage and love come in many forms, you both wear them incredibly well.
    .-= amanda´s last blog ..Swishing =-.

8. ThePeachy1 June 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM #

love it … love you

9. Janet Isserlis June 5, 2010 at 12:06 PM #

lovely

10. woo222 June 5, 2010 at 8:48 AM #

AWWW!! This is so awesome and touching!! I admire your marriage so much!
    .-= woo222´s last blog ..An Open Letter to the Neighbor Lady =-.

11. Chrystal June 5, 2010 at 8:42 AM #

<3 LOVE IT.
    .-= Chrystal´s last blog ..Sorry…. =-.

12. kyooty June 5, 2010 at 8:25 AM #

YAY! for walking! What a fantastic accomplishment. You have wonderful support!

13. Karen June 5, 2010 at 6:13 AM #

You’ve got yourself a pretty fabulous man. Or drill Sargent :) Keep up the great work! You amaze me.

14. Kristin June 5, 2010 at 1:20 AM #

Physical therapy is a bitch and sometimes it takes that harsh voice to urge you on. You both are amazing.
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..Photo Friday: The Night =-.

15. gwendomama June 5, 2010 at 12:53 AM #

i love you more every day my sweet little vamp.
    .-= gwendomama´s last blog ..Paternity Test, Anyone? =-.

16. Tracy Solomon June 4, 2010 at 11:58 PM #

Anissa, that is the perfect blend of the push to get you strong again and the reward because he knows you are giving it your all. Marriage is all about teamwork is what we always hear and this is really putting that to the test.

Every anniversary, birthday, Valentines Day is going to mean so much more because of every added struggle. Even the saying, “Each step of the way.” It is like life, once again, has taken on a whole new meaning.

Thanks for sharing:)

Love, Tracy
    .-= Tracy Solomon´s last blog ..Is America Being Micro-Managed =-.

17. Kathryn June 4, 2010 at 11:56 PM #

Husbands are amazing, aren’t they? And so are you, yay for walking!
    .-= Kathryn´s last blog ..Just Being Honest =-.

18. pgoodness June 4, 2010 at 11:35 PM #

so glad he’s pushing you with such love. he’s amazing (as are you!!)

19. Hockeymandad June 4, 2010 at 11:26 PM #

This is good to read. Without little harshness in the motivation, there is no motivation. A push with love is the best push you can get.

Keep up the great work.
    .-= Hockeymandad´s last blog ..Meet Me There =-.

20. Overflowing Brain June 4, 2010 at 11:17 PM #

I know that there are a lot of “perfect marriages” on tv and in the media, but the marriage that you write about, the one that doesn’t always match what we see as models in the media? Is closer to perfect than any one I’ve ever seen.

21. domestic Extraordinaire June 4, 2010 at 11:11 PM #

you did so awesome tonight! I am so proud as is he!!
    .-= domestic Extraordinaire´s last blog ..Georgia will always be on my mind =-.

22. Sue Robinson June 4, 2010 at 11:09 PM #

Those that love you the most will always push you the most. I love that about them.
    .-= Sue Robinson´s last blog ..Another Kid’s Summer Stock Update =-.

23. kelly (@kblogger) June 4, 2010 at 11:09 PM #

Your perserverence (and humor in the face of things not so humorous) is continually inspiring. ((hugs))
    .-= kelly (@kblogger)´s last blog ..What About Anger =-.