1001 reasons why they call it a “Genius Bar” and why they’ll never hire me

I managed to have a big weekend.  One of those weekends where you consider going to bed and hiding.

Forever.

With Oreos.

FIRST, I had to get the backup for my laptop because I needed to access some picture.  Since we recently moved the office downstairs, it meant that we had moved the Time Capsule (Mac’s magic) down and I should be able to get to everything.  I am brilliant.  I found the Time Capsule, I hooked it up (with help from my kids because it involved going under my desk), and I waited for magic to happen. And I waited.  And waited. And freaking waited.

It never worked.

Time Capsule, you failed me.

Luckily I waited on Pete and the over-cautious dude had backup #2.  It worked.  It was from Wal-mart.

I am not brilliant, I am a People of Wal-mart.

Then I had to sync ITunes.  With the computer backup it confused my IPod Touch. It is probably all my fault.  I clicked something at the wrong time.  No matter, when I realized something was wrong was about the time I realized everything was gone.  Let me repeat that for you. Music.  Apps I’ve paid for.  Games my kids play.  EVERYTHING WAS GONE.

That one caused me to cry.

Dude.  Kids Bop made me sob.

It took both of us several hours of everything we could come up with.  But we finally got it all back!!

I am writing this post with a piece of tree bark and some lead.

And I promised to never pretend I was smarter than a fifth grader again.

14 Responses to 1001 reasons why they call it a “Genius Bar” and why they’ll never hire me

1. Elizabeth Kaylene July 14, 2010 at 8:59 AM #

I am kind of a computer nerd, but I’m more proficient with the internet and web development than backups. Hell, I’m lucky if I remember to backup my clients’ files regularly!

Elizabeth Kaylene´s last post…Popi

2. Kristin July 13, 2010 at 8:39 PM #

I think it was the weekend of the computer rebellion. Our computer crapped out on us too. I feel for you.

Kristin´s last post…Gabe does the darndest things

3. Lisa G July 13, 2010 at 7:08 AM #

ok, wait are you suppose to BACKUP….how does one do this, is there a club or something that will do this for me? LOL I am the one that still has pictures in shoe boxes….backingup requires a beep or horn of some kind for me!
    Love you girl and I will dig into those oreos with you anytime!
    love ya

4. MFA Mama July 12, 2010 at 11:41 PM #

Dell FTMFW.

I’m sorry. The devil made me say that.

What I really meant was you win today over Monday. TOTALLY. Yes.

5. Tracy Solomon July 12, 2010 at 8:46 PM #

Kids Bop makes me cry too…everytime I hear them. Sorry kids. They just do.

Oh Anissa, I feel for you. I am a back up freak!! I back up and then I back up the back up, then I back up the back up that back up as well. I have no faith in computers or gadgets at all. They have failed me and I am the computer geek here. It is sad when I am the one upset because I turn around and everyone is just looking at me confused and waiting for me to fix the issue which most likely, I had nothing to do with! Well sometimes it was me trying to back up something or secure something from getting screwed up and then I screwed it up instead, my bad:)

So, hopefully you have it all fixed now?

Where do the 5th graders learn everything anyway?

Love, Tracy
    ladybugkatia.com

Tracy Solomon´s last post…Arizona is just the beginning Watch Out-

6. Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] July 12, 2010 at 7:06 PM #

This is why it’s best to marry a computer nerd.

7. ~A July 12, 2010 at 6:36 PM #

You can redownload the apps for free. The music thing sucks.

~A´s last post…One Year

8. Barnmaven July 12, 2010 at 4:31 PM #

I would have cried too.

Sat right on the floor and bawled like a baby.

Thank GOD you got everything back!

Barnmaven´s last post…The Less I Know

9. Kelly July 12, 2010 at 12:18 PM #

I have been there, done that. More than once. And I work at a computer software company, so you would think I would have a clue how to do these things.

10. Melinda July 12, 2010 at 11:01 AM #

*hugs* Hey, it’s not just you. I once deleted a whole operating system – while I was still using the computer! Yeah, still don’t know how I did that one.

Oh, the apps you’ve paid for, you can redownload them for no charge – yeah, guess how I know that one lol

11. Cort July 12, 2010 at 11:01 AM #

So is this where I tell you your hair is pretty?

You must use homemade beer shampoo and rainwater…oh, the shine!

Cort´s last post…Wrapped with love

12. Nona July 12, 2010 at 10:56 AM #

I love my Mac, but we have a hard drive back-up from Best Buy for just this sort of emergency. Computers are like bad boyfriends. No matter how much love you throw at it, it only returns your calls when it’s in the mood.

13. Carol P July 12, 2010 at 10:48 AM #

OMG I so know what you mean, I went like 3 months with iTunes giving me an error everytime I synced but it always showed it was backing up and syncing so I “ASSUMED” everything was cool. Well one day my iphone crashed and would not turn back on without doing a restore of it. So I get home hook it up and do the restore and then go to resync all my stuff and it wouldn’t.

Apparently I had gone months with a corrupt backup and everything during that period of time since it went corrupt had not been backed up.

So yeah Apple is cool and all but even their stuff can screw ya lol.

Carol P´s last post…APPLE SERIOUSLY WHATS IT TO YOU-

14. Annie Y July 12, 2010 at 10:41 AM #

I hope the week gets better for you!
    XOXO

Annie Y´s last post…The Megalomaniac Mommy’s Favorite Things Summer 2010 Edition