cause if you can’t pimp your handicap what good is it?

We watch Extreme Home Makeover. For the makeovers, not Ty getting shirtless. Much.

We’ve seen people getting homes because they had tragedy or they had ordeals.  I mean, we have watched a lot of folks go through a lot of stuff.

I cried all the time.

I would snot at the drop of a hat.

So and so lost their whole house in a fire and a family of sixteen lives in a trailer.  Whosit lost a spouse and now they have to live in the shambles left behind.  Whatchamacallit has a handicapped wife and they just….WAIT.A.SECOND.

I think I’ve heard this story before.

Guy has a wife that has a stroke and is handicapped in a wheelchair.  They have three kids who have been through multiple strokes and pediatric cancer.  [CUE SAD MUSIC]

Dude, I make myself cry when I think of it that way.

So, Pete and I really thought about what our family has been through in the past few years and decided that we were at least worth an application video.

Hello, Extreme Home Makeover!

So, if you ever want to bug celebrities in our honor, you can by:

1.  Tweeting Ty at @iamReallyTy and annoying the crap out of him reminding him we’re here

2.  Sending a letter or postcard to Lock & Key Productions, c/o Extreme Home Makeover, 5160 Vineland Ave, Suite 107, PO Box #419, North Hollywood, CA 91601

3.  Pack a bag lunch, find Ty’s house, camp out on his front porch until the police are called, and then RUN

We are always full of options.

41 Responses to cause if you can’t pimp your handicap what good is it?

1. Jenny July 2, 2010 at 5:21 PM #

OOoo this is a great idea. You should *totally* get a new house for being in a coma and having cancer children. That’s a WAY better story than the family with the kid who was allergic to sunlight.

2. Mrs. Schmitty July 2, 2010 at 4:50 PM #

I am tweeting him right now!!!!
    .-= Mrs. Schmitty´s last blog ..She Cant Get Enough =-.

3. Sarah Feakes July 2, 2010 at 9:56 AM #

If option 3 is picked remember to plug the Mayhew Family before and/or while running!

• Anissa Mayhew July 2, 2010 at 11:42 AM #

I should know I can always count on you!

4. Cort July 2, 2010 at 8:40 AM #

I’ve not jumped on the Twitter bandwagon yet – I seriously spend hours of my life doing anything but what I should be doing as it is without that. But for you and your family I will sacrifice and join just so I can tell Ty that you’re the shit and people would totally snot all over themselves to see you get everything you’ve ever wanted EVER! :) Snot sells, sister! — I know you gave the option of postcard submission…but…that involves finding a pen, stamp…going to the mailbox… you know…stuff.
    .-= Cort´s last blog ..Im kind of like snoopy without the aviator glassesand near muteness =-.

5. Holly at Tropic of Mom July 2, 2010 at 1:35 AM #

I love that show and would totally love to see you get an awesome new house! Right next door to me.
    .-= Holly at Tropic of Mom´s last blog ..Uplifting =-.

6. Shelley Clements July 1, 2010 at 11:34 PM #

I suck at commenting…suck at making any attempts to keep in touch…but there’s plenty of LOVE here for the Mayhew family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may even try out Twitter, just for you. I have an old flip phone…I like the flip part (cleaner, doesn’t butt-dial) but entering letters takes um, forever. I haven’t been watching ‘EHM’ we’ll abbrev. for short lately….that show ‘gets’ me every freakin’ time!!!!! I don’t know how my husband and kids can’t NOT cry every single time. But I would read up and think about what ‘home and uncool’ wrote; I have heard that some of the homes have been taken away because people can’t afford them. (Well, duh, look at the situations most of the people are in- S.A.D!!!) I will do my part in some way, though- all for you….so much love to you! Still f.r.o.G.ing in Florida….Shell

7. Kathy Mcpherson July 1, 2010 at 10:04 PM #

I tweeted Ty…but I have to admit I’m sort of a twitter novice so I didn’t really know what I was doing…I just tweeted “@Iamreallyty” and then told him to please pick you and linked to your site…is that the best way? Tell me what is and I promise to do it daily!!! Love your blog and am rooting for you and your family!

• Anissa Mayhew July 2, 2010 at 11:41 AM #

Everything you did was PERFECT, here’s hoping we get picked!!

8. Jessica July 1, 2010 at 5:56 PM #

Wrote my letter to Ty – well not him directly. That production company. But I’m thinking a follow up letter might be smart. I think I’ll write it from my husband this time.

What I’m loving is seeing Anissa commenting in the comments. I love that!

• Anissa Mayhew July 1, 2010 at 6:36 PM #

I’m trying something new! I am too lame to reply to every comment, but I read them ALL and I can respond to some.

• Jessica July 2, 2010 at 3:31 PM #

Oh god and you replied to MY comment. I love you I love you I love you! There aren’t many celebrities crossing my path – I live a sheltered life. But once I saw Tom Skerritt at a Starbucks and having you reply to my comment is 4000% more exciting. Did you know he’s kind of short and really skinny?

• Anissa Mayhew July 2, 2010 at 7:30 PM #

I think we’re safe, I’m short but nowhere near skinny!! And I love you too, you mean a lot to me.

9. Melisa with one S July 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM #

I have tweeted Ty before (that sounds kinda dirty if you think about it), but look forward to tweeting him again. hahahaha

On my way!
    .-= Melisa with one S´s last blog ..When One Door Closes- Another One Opens =-.

10. Karen July 1, 2010 at 3:15 PM #

Anissa,
    I will tweet each day! Just explain it to my husband because he thinks Ty is mad irritating.
    If you get half of the attention to Ty that you did to Ralph Machio….WAIT…let’s half Ralph call them on your behalf…
    He can even offer to make an appearance and do some of the work!!!
    .-= Karen´s last blog ..The Blonde With Lots of Skin =-.

• Karen July 1, 2010 at 3:17 PM #

Er….I meant have and Macchio.
      I get excited when good ideas come to me!

11. Adventures In Babywearing July 1, 2010 at 3:00 PM #

Did you hear I am running now? On my way to Ty’s!

You deserve this, Anissa.

Steph
    .-= Adventures In Babywearing´s last blog ..crazy heart =-.

12. domestic extraordinaire July 1, 2010 at 2:32 PM #

I am on it!
    .-= domestic extraordinaire´s last blog ..You Capture-The I Really Cant Read but Somehow Play a Writer on the Interwebs Edition =-.

13. Issa July 1, 2010 at 1:59 PM #

I just read this post and the last six.

Sometimes I don’t know what to say. Mostly? I just suck at commenting these days. Just know I still luff you and will stalk you at BH until I get a bewbie hug.

I um already wrote to Ty. Couple weeks ago. But maybe another one is in order.
    .-= Issa´s last blog ..Secrets =-.

14. Jessica July 1, 2010 at 1:53 PM #

I read your blog everyday. I learned of you and your family through the Spohrs are Multiplying. I have never commented before. Just wanted to let you know that I sent my letter to Lock and Key Productions to nominate your family for an Extreme Home Makeover. You have touched my life and I believe that it is about damn time your family gets the break you all deserve. Fingers crossed for you!

15. Adrienne July 1, 2010 at 12:22 PM #

hmmmmm that Vineland address is just up the road from me, let me check on the camping gear. Or perhaps I will bake them all some *special* brownies that will put them under my spell. bwahahahahaha
    .-= Adrienne´s last blog ..BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA ON UNCLE BEN’S® WHOLE GRAIN WHITE RICE CRUST =-.

• Anissa July 1, 2010 at 12:34 PM #

brownies….”special” ones….i like them!!!

16. Kristin July 1, 2010 at 12:22 PM #

Dude, I’m going to tweet him so much that they will pick you just to shut me up!
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..I love my childrenI love my childrenno- really- I do love my children =-.

17. DivineENVE July 1, 2010 at 11:22 AM #

Holy crap Anissa you are hilarious dude. I wish I had a fraction of the wit you have in your right pinky, yes I know which hand and yes I mean it. You’re amazing! I will SOoooooo do what I can to help out your cause and cheer you on and watch your episode even tho I can’t bear the sound of Ty’s voice on that damn megaphone.
    .-= DivineENVE´s last blog ..Vacations Part 2 =-.

18. Monica ~ MommyBrain July 1, 2010 at 11:07 AM #

I’ll totally camp out for you… LOL.. Seriously. It would be so worth it…
    Aw heck.. I’m all over tweeting it too!!!
    .-= Monica ~ MommyBrain´s last blog ..Giveaway- Sarah McLachlan Laws of Illusion =-.

19. lisak July 1, 2010 at 10:51 AM #

I am happy to tweet. I am wondering, do you have any idea what has caused your strokes?

20. Amber McN July 1, 2010 at 10:36 AM #

Oh you gots to get you one of those pimped out houses! Off to nag people…

21. Kellee July 1, 2010 at 10:33 AM #

Man… I thought you were going to tell us that you’d been selected! I was all OMFG excited for a minute! Not cool, man, not cool! ;)
    .-= Kellee´s last blog ..Diptychs =-.

• Anissa Mayhew July 1, 2010 at 10:42 AM #

pffftttt….I wish!!!! I keep nagging though

22. Shirley July 1, 2010 at 10:28 AM #

I refuse to watch that show on the grounds that I wake up the next morning with a headache from crying so much! We used to watch it all the time, now we conveniently fill that time slot with watching movies and generally taunting the children about having to go to school the next day (during the school year, obviously) or something fun like mowing the grass or trying to pick up dried up needles that have fallen in our front yard ‘rock lawn’.
    .-= Shirley´s last blog ..Hello- Stranger Man =-.

23. Amanda July 1, 2010 at 10:07 AM #

Move. That. Bus. To. Anissa’s!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    .-= Amanda´s last blog ..Misfit =-.

24. Priscilla-the wheelchairmommy July 1, 2010 at 9:56 AM #

I’ll tweet Ty for you :D

• Anissa Mayhew July 1, 2010 at 10:42 AM #

THANK YOU!!!!

25. Becky July 1, 2010 at 9:47 AM #

not Ty getting shirtless.

Uh huh. And I have some land out in the Everglades I can sell you…. *wink*

Off to Tweet Ty! Say that ten times really fast ….

*g*

26. Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] July 1, 2010 at 9:45 AM #

Is it wrong to watch just to hope that Ty DOES take off his shirt?
    .-= Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing]´s last blog ..Giving away the gay =-.

27. home and uncool July 1, 2010 at 9:41 AM #

Having worked for a company that once did a Ty project, just make sure you have the bucks saved to cover all the new tax, utility and insurance bills you’ll be receiving after the build. Yikes!
    .-= home and uncool´s last blog ..Thirteen =-.

28. Somedayphd July 1, 2010 at 9:35 AM #

Sounds like you should use your Ralph Macchio connections. ;-)

I’ve not posted much, but I love reading your updates. Sometimes it’s hard to read the updates because they are like a mirror back to myself, but thank you for sharing.

29. Lilly July 1, 2010 at 9:26 AM #

I know where Ty gets his Vespa serviced when he’s in the Atlanta area (Scooter Superstore of America at the Midtown location)! I saw his name on the service board one day and did a double take. They confirmed that it was *the* Ty Pennington.

• Anissa Mayhew July 1, 2010 at 9:29 AM #

REALLY!! Ty in Atlanta and you didn’t kidnap him for me. For shame.