don’t make me smack the &$@%^#! out of you

Someone shared news with me and I was happy for them.

Happy with them.

Someone else was the voice of unhappiness and they grumbled the slightest bit.

They grumbled just enough for me to realize that it was true.  They were snarky JUST long enough for it to feel sincere. They let me hear the tiny edge in their voice that told me they were the slightest bit not-happy.

And it sucked.

It took a little piece of my happy away.

How can you not be happy when something awesome happens to someone you feel fantastic about?  When you’re truly happy for them you want to jump up and down at their triumph. Don’t you almost burst with foolish pride at their achievement?

Then, why can’t you just be happy for them?

You must be unhappy in your small little places that you can’t at least smile and make it not about you.

You know what they say, if you can’t say something nice, then don’t let me hear it.

13 Responses to don’t make me smack the &$@%^#! out of you

1. Ashley Hast July 21, 2010 at 9:01 PM #

I love you. And the other moron can suck donkey balls. :)

Ashley Hast´s last post…Lame-o Chick I will so not like for forever

2. Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] July 21, 2010 at 5:17 PM #

Bringing the happy is hard, but when it happens to good people, it’s easier to accept. When it happens to bitches, I’d like to cut them.

Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing]´s last post…I think I will name her Ruby Ruby Ruby Ruby She better love me back

3. Jessica July 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM #

I agree with the commenters who say it is jealousy that triggers this negativity. I struggle with jealousy all the time. Have all of my life. And it makes me miserable. And I bet the person being even a smidge negative about someone else’s achievement is pretty unhappy underneath it all. Gosh, Anissa, you always give me something to think about! Thank you!

4. Wanda July 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM #

I find people like this do it because they think it is acceptable. Usually people who do that are jealous. Took me a long time to understand that.

Wanda´s last post…He Makes Me Proud

5. Barnmaven July 21, 2010 at 9:40 AM #

I spent ten years married to a man who never had anything nice to say when something good happened to others. Not to me. Not to his friends, his sister, his coworkers. Anything good that happened to other people, in his mind, meant he was somehow “less than.” It drove me crazy, until I finally realized that it was worse for him to feel that way than it was for me to listen to him.

Barnmaven´s last post…Nobodys Perfect

6. Tim Young July 21, 2010 at 9:40 AM #

love you….the other person, well let’s just say that it’s time for a cold water enima!

7. Melisa with one S July 21, 2010 at 7:47 AM #

So true. Buzzkills Suck Hard.

Melisa with one S´s last post…You Scratch My Back- and Ill Scratch Yours

8. Tim Young July 21, 2010 at 7:20 AM #

Its time for that person to have a good ole flushing….can you say cold water enima!!!

9. Cort July 21, 2010 at 7:17 AM #

Amen, sister!! Check the negative attitude at the door!!

Cort´s last post…My life in the petri dish

10. Jamie July 21, 2010 at 6:04 AM #

We leave an essence wherever we go. In action and expression — verbal and nonverbal. Negativity no matter how small can’t help but flow onto others. That’s why I try to keep my trap shut — too much negativity floating around these days. You can still be very real and not tear down.

11. Rachel July 21, 2010 at 12:45 AM #

Just keep being truly happy for other people’s gains…I have found that when I was (psycho) obsessed with other people getting what I wanted, I 1) was unable to see the good I myself had, and 2) my negative energy kept me from getting what I truly wanted.

Now, when I feel a bit snarky (it happens) I remember that the negative crap takes up the space that good could fill. (Well, first I eat brownies. Then I give myself the cheesy peptalk. Brownies? Make everything better.)

12. Last Girl Standing July 20, 2010 at 11:54 PM #

That makes me sad. There are (far) too few moments in life were others openly show excitement for other people. The day of your wedding, birth of a child, new houses and jobs… and many people don’t get to have even those. To take one of those few and far between moments away from someone? Well they should clearly be kicked in the junk. or the teeth. Or punched in the gut. Or be given an Academy Award and have everyone boo during their acceptance speech… or have Kanye West interrupt. That would learn ‘em! That would learn ‘em good!

Last Girl Standing´s last post…The Rules of Engagement

13. Brittany July 20, 2010 at 11:42 PM #

This business that we are in is hard. It’s uphill, all the way. It’s so difficult to put yourself out there, every single day, raw and vulnerable, and then…nothing.

For almost four years, I swear I have gone to bed telling myself “don’t be envious. Don’t be envious. It happened for them and not you for a reason. Maybe it wouldn’t have fit right on you. Be patient for the right thing. It’s going to happen, just stay true to your goal.” And, then I cried, and got up the next day to work just as hard.

Did it suck? Fuck yes it did.

But, I have seen some bloggers so fame hungry they lose their shit. Like, publicly, on about ten forms of social media, desperately clawing they disgusting way to the top, whining, and poor me’ing, and then POOF, getting all these opportunities and perks, and at the time, I may have been like, BITCHES, but, it almost always ended up being something I am glad I didn’t get.

I think I might know what you are talking about. I’m not sure.

But, I think being happy for someone shows strength, because if you stay in the negative space, it eats you alive. It turns you into something mean and angry and ugly. We’ve both seen it first hand.

Be happy, because you have AT LEAST 15 people behind you, happy every single day that you are with us.

How can something perfect and good not come from that?

Brittany´s last post…Lambs