i guess we won’t be having rice for dinner tomorrow

I’ve been lucky that week after week we’ve been able to have friends or family here.  It would have been so much easier if we lived in Tampa or Daytona, where we have lots of loved ones.  We have managed the past months on the hearts of those that taken time to come to Georgia and stay with us.

Some have come for a visit, some have brought their kids, some have stayed and helped what they could, some were friendly faces when needed most.

And some? Were good, old-fashioned belly laughs!

Some caused me to cry and snort and do the most unladylike giggling possible.

Jen.

It’s not often I will call someone out by name.  But everyone who has known Jen will know what I mean when I say that this week I’m doing more than my share of laugh therapy.

It’s pretty healing.

Like tonight.  Jen’s three-year-old Z wanted to play tag with the big girls.  Mom wanted her help in cleaning up all the pieces of rice that didn’t make it to her mouth. So, there’s Jen, picking up rice, Z whining that she wanted to play tag.  A no-win situation.

“TAG! YOU’RE IT!”

There was a moment so perfect as Z’s hand energetically slapped the plate, rice SHOT up into the air, and mom realized what was about to happen with no hope of stopping it….it couldn’t be recreated if you tried.

I had to look away.  So did Jen.

We both shook with glee!

Laugh therapy, we’re ALL getting a healthy dose this week.

10 Responses to i guess we won’t be having rice for dinner tomorrow

1. Elizabeth Kaylene July 25, 2010 at 1:49 PM #

My first car had dried rice all. over. the place. It was insane. When I sold it, it still had rice buried in the miscellaneous crevices. There was just no way of getting it all.

But a mess is definitely worth a good laugh, and my old Mazda makes me laugh all the time. I’m so glad you’ve had such wonderful friends and family in your life, and so glad they’ve been able to help you. Laughter is the best medicine.

Elizabeth Kaylene´s last post…2010 goals update

2. Tracy Solomon July 25, 2010 at 1:47 PM #

That is what of those moments that through age and experience I have learned to laugh at and even more when the rice is at someone else’s house. But, I can honestly say that a spilled glass of kool-aid or milk doesn’t get the same reaction as it used to and a big plate of spaghetti with sauce doesn’t make my skin crawl off anymore. It has turned into more of a slow motion movie where you really hope you paid for a ticket to be viewing the scene and then you realize, “Get up and get a towel!!”

But, yep! Those are the moments that live on forever and ever. They last longer than anything you can pay money for.

Jen sounds like a keeper and Z sounds like a charm!!! I would just suggest next time catching that on film:)

Love, Tracy
    ladybugkatia.com

Tracy Solomon´s last post…One of our communitys biggest assets is our youth

3. LocoYaYa July 24, 2010 at 5:03 PM #

the laughing is good for you. great for you. it makes the blah’s go away.

the rice, not so much.

LocoYaYa´s last post…Shock and Awe- People- Shock and Awe

4. kim @ mommyknows July 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM #

Err rice!

It sounds like you’ve been blessed with great friends. A good laugh is definitely worth some clean-up.

kim @ mommyknows´s last post…Wordless Wednesday – Elephant Boy

5. Lisa July 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM #

Dry rice… Exactly! Never try to clean it up while it’s still moist. Let it dry and then it’s no problem. Oh, and never feed rice to anyone under the age of 12. Not sure how the majority of the world does it, but my brood of scandinavian descent could not make rice meet mouth successfully at an earlier age.

6. ThePeachy1 July 24, 2010 at 12:22 AM #

The Borg is a healthy dose of laughter needed by everyone. Glad she made it up there with zilla and larry in tow.. The dogs should be beaten and quartered for not eating the rice off the floor, whats wrong with them?

7. Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] July 23, 2010 at 10:34 PM #

You’re in the right place on the internets for laugh therapy.

Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing]´s last post…I want you to love him like I love him Almost

8. The Pony Lady July 23, 2010 at 10:21 PM #

The WORST part is that none of the three dogs here would bother to hoover it up. What’s up with that?!? I had to pick it all up by hand. Stupid dogs!

9. NaomiJesson July 23, 2010 at 10:12 PM #

I would have to say that rice is one the most annoying things to clean up! Everywhere.

10. Amanda July 23, 2010 at 10:12 PM #

Oh, rice! Well, plenty of time to laugh while it dries and becomes cleanable, no?

To friends that can pull the laughter like no one else!

Amanda´s last post…Sinew of Time