the difference in shopping experience

People think it’s so cool when you get stuff for free.  They forget everything comes with a price of it’s own for me.

I remember back when things were easy.

When they were simple.

When I took them for them for granted.

Then I got the offer to be a part of the GAP’s #GapMagic program.  I would be given the chance to replace jeans gone since my hospital days. Thanks to ambulance guys.

GAP didn’t know that when they offered.

I made sure they knew I wasn’t you average shopper.

I was more….complicated.

Today I showed up with my wheelchair, husband and three children.  Three kids, because a person like me that has to have help trying on has to bring the youngsters along.

And I tried on the clothes with my husband.

Outfit after outfit.

It took four times as long.

I had to breathe for a moment and not think about the last time I wore those those jeans.

I had to explain why I turned down nice offers like purses (zippers mean I can’t get them open) and new shoes (orthopedics for a reason).

But the people were as nice as people could possibly be.  They were patient and understanding.  They were friendly and funny. They were the people you wish you would get Every time in EVERY store.

A part of me cried when I recognized the sales girl who usually knew me.  She didn’t put it together.  She, that greeted me and called me by name, didn’t recognize me anymore.

It was a different experience.

Great, but different.

9 Responses to the difference in shopping experience

1. Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] August 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM #

I’m so glad they made you feel good, as you deserve.

Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing]´s last post…I’m sorry for my overzealousness

2. Colleen August 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM #

Time for a book…….

3. Fairly Odd Mother August 1, 2010 at 8:30 AM #

I too wonder if the salesperson was nervous and not sure how to react. Or maybe she just has a bad memory. Either way, I’m so glad The Gap picked you to model their clothes—-you deserve a little pampering.

Fairly Odd Mother´s last post…Drug-free zone

4. Susie August 1, 2010 at 2:50 AM #

Your writing, Anissa, is like an exquisite present with layers of tissue paper. And at the end–what you have expressed in words–all that is left is a jewel exposed and full of beauty…

5. Kristin August 1, 2010 at 12:31 AM #

I’m so glad the over all experience rocked. And, maybe the salesgirl did recognize you but just didn’t know what to say. Sadly, many people can’t begin to handle a change like you’ve gone through so, instead of fumbling for words, they chose to say nothing.

Kristin´s last post…Two Awesome Giveaways

6. Wanda July 31, 2010 at 10:55 PM #

It’s so nice when the store personnel rock at their jobs, it makes you want to go back. I’m glad you had a good experience. I will be checking out the Gap sometime soon…:)

Wanda´s last post…Working It Out

7. domestic extraordinaire July 31, 2010 at 9:22 PM #

No purses or shoes means that you could get extra of your favorite jeans…right?

*sigh* love you lady, I am glad that you had a good experience, even if it wasn’t like before.

xo

domestic extraordinaire´s last post…My Apologies in Advance

8. Tracy Solomon July 31, 2010 at 8:41 PM #

I have learned over the last years there are some really awesome people in the world!! Fantastically nice people with beautiful smiles and wonderful things to say. They are so helpful and ready to go the extra mile if you ask them and sometimes even if you don’t.

I think a lot of times maybe I was moving to fast to notice them. Or, my mind was on other things. Life taught me some lessons to look around and notice things and really take life in. If someone is being rude then it probably has nothing to do with me and personally, I just hope whatever is causing them to have to be rude will resolve so they feel better. Of course it bothers me but not like it used to.

I wish it didn’t take “life lessons” to teach me those things and I don’t see myself as a hard head or anything but just an average person that had too much on my plate and not enough time to slow down and take notice.

If it hadn’t been for that lesson in life, I wouldn’t know you and I am glad I do. You are a super amazing person. Your shopping trip most likely touched someone’s life in an extra special way, Anissa:)

You tend to touch lives!

Love, Tracy

Tracy Solomon´s last post…Why vote

9. Hamlet's Mistress July 31, 2010 at 8:39 PM #

I’m so sorry that every day there’s something new that you realize is different. It must be exhausting. I can’t wait for the first time that you post and something was just wonderful or fun without having a bit of challenge involved. I wish that for you so very much.

That said, I’m so happy that you ARE getting free stuff. You deserve it. 150% times ten.

Hamlet’s Mistress´s last post…When will I arrive