Frustration. I’m knee-deep in it. I have these ideas. I explained it to someone as being the point in time when I work on scraps of paper. It’s hard to describe. Difficult to define. I want to draw a picture. It looks like soup. Thhhhhhat’s not right. So I’m stuck trying to make others see [...]
There wasn’t much that went into the name Free Anissa. A long time ago my Twitter account got suspended because it got hacked and they thought I was a spammer. I asked a few friends to tweet that I wasn’t a spammer, and……yeah. Let’s just say the hashtag #freeAnissa started out with no deeper meaning [...]
Let’s get a few thing straightened out. Everything may not be totally clear. I have three therapists at Pathways, which is a part of the Shepherd Center, where I do my outpatient therapy. Physical therapy – done by Beth, this deals with my walking, transferring, lower extremities, getting up when I fall, pool exercise and [...]
It’s not very often that someone will ask a question and I know the answer to it. I’m usually asking the kids answers to questions about square roots and wind velocity. But I happen to know this inside out. Sort of depressing, but I do know it. Peyton’s cancer. She’s finished her second year post-treatment [...]
People have asked, “How can you still laugh?” To be honest, I understand the question very well. It would be just too easy to let it all take over. To give in. Give up. It is a slow, baby-stepping, small-improvement, thankful-for-every-tiny-thing kind of thing. And I laugh. Maybe some don’t, but I have to. I [...]
Today I laid on the floor. On purpose. With a goal. One of my biggest fears is falling. From beds. Chairs. Tranfers. That old joke is true. It’s not the fall, it’s the landing. So today at physical therapy I told them to teach me how to get up. Not that I fall a lot. [...]
Florida holds most of all I hold dear. Many years I lived in Daytona Beach. Then I resided with my family in Tampa for years. Two very different areas. Two very different experiences. My parents live there. My best friend. My next best friend. The person I could call on a Sunday night if I [...]
The face. I’m forced to look at it every day. “You’re still there.” I hear it and I know it. But it doesn’t stop me from wishing that the face was normal. My face doesn’t keep me from being ME. But it keeps me from looking like me. There are times that it doesn’t bother [...]
Today I let someone hurt me. In the same room as my husband, a room away from my kids. I gritted my teeth and endured. There were a lot of tears. My hand that was good curled into a ball I didn’t realize until it was finally done. And I thought about the things I [...]
Sometimes you forget how long you were gone. Then you find music is no longer popular. Shows you were watching were canceled. Things that used to be are no more. In ways it can be really good. REALLY good. In others, you can just feel left behind. Your kids, the mortgage, life. It all goes [...]
Vlog – cell phone from Anissa Mayhew on Vimeo.
It was hard to explain how real my dreams felt. The coma-stage feelings were very hard to shake. There was whole series of dreams where I was in my bed but I watched those around me watching baseball. Baseball. My reality seemed to be watching the people I loved move around me and talk while [...]
Erma Bombeck said something that pretty much defines my approach to life.... "When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, "I used everything you gave me." If you switch the word TALENT for LOVE or LAUGHTER or HAPPINESS....it still stands.
Read By Email
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/content/64/4534164/html/wp-content/plugins/instagramwidget/instagramWidget.php on line 43
- Fermin1992: This article is on 12 spot in google's search res...
- Essential oils: My family members always say that I am killing my ...
- walmart wedding invitations: > What if working on your own car or computer b...
- Standardshomehealth.Com: This is really attention-grabbing, You are a very ...
- book reviews: Hі, I'm Jerome. I surf tһe web tօο much, but ...
- every child deserves a @ShotAtLife with the UN Foundation’s blog relay August 15, 2012
- It’s never too early to teach your kids how to get thrown out of an establishment with STYLE August 6, 2009
- playing games in my mind October 16, 2013
- do people comment because they have things to say or they feel they have to? June 26, 2010
- well, here you go…. August 3, 2010
- Mabel’s Labels for everything but when I lose my mind! @Mabelhood September 26, 2014
- phantom hands August 15, 2014
- what i did during summer break… August 12, 2014
- parent/teenager conferences March 10, 2014
- bowling balls the only balls in play March 6, 2014