at least you were as wrong as I was

Way back when Peter and I were first asked to speak at Blogher, he almost said no because he was worried about crowd control. I laughed.

As we got closer to the date he worried some more about getting crowded and me feeling overwhelmed.  I laughed.

In the weeks just before we left, Peter was getting nervous about what to say.  I was getting nervous that no one would want to come to the buzzkill panel.  Pete’s answer was that people would come to hear what I had to say.  I laughed.

We had airport fun where they thought I had bomb residue on my leg brace.  Then there was the car service guy that figured we liked to argue about my handicap. Don’t get me started on bathrooms.

But we got to the hotel, we checked in, we had a snack, we got our BlogHer tickets, we ran into a few friends.  It was all good!  There was no reason to think anyone would care beyond the norm.

Then I took a nap.

And I woke up.

And we went out.

OHMYGOD.

Let me just say this.  It’s a good thing I like people.  Meeting them, greeting them, shaking their hands, hugging them, smooching them, getting to hear their stories, sometimes wiping their tears.  I love people.

If I didn’t like people, this weekend would have sucked.

Cause, not to be a fat-head, but I was WRONG.

Dude.

Was I ever wrong?!

There were times it took us hours to get tens of feet.

We missed out on meals a few times.

We got to meet some of the many people that made a difference in our lives.

So many people were confused, mixed up.  They said thank you to me or to Pete.

When, REALLY?

It was our chance to thank each and every one of you.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU  THANK YOU

33 Responses to at least you were as wrong as I was

1. Crystal August 14, 2010 at 2:19 AM #

Anissa you are awesome!! Y’all Rock!
    I don’t have a blog just a reader but it think you and the family are so strong and great,i would of been in line for a hug too;)

2. Hockeymandad August 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM #

It was so great spending time with you guys last weekend. I look forward to our next encounters.

3. Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) August 11, 2010 at 5:16 PM #

SOoooo glad you all love people — AND hugs. Cause we LOVE you! AND there are a LOT of us. :)

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom)´s last post…On Camera with Momversation-Women- The 5G Network

4. Molly August 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM #

Love you both! So glad to spend time with both of you! And damn Peter for making me cry! You’re still just as witty and beautiful as you were before my dear.

5. Jenty August 11, 2010 at 4:38 AM #

AWesome :) one day I hope to actually go to one of these, and not just follow them on Twitter

Jenty´s last post…Chaos with me and the dogs

6. Two Makes Four August 10, 2010 at 10:23 PM #

Why do I keep not stopping by? I didn’t go to BlogHer but this sounds pretty awesome. And not at all surprising :) Glad you were mobbed in a good way.

Two Makes Four´s last post…A Weighty Issue

7. Erin August 10, 2010 at 9:01 PM #

You love people..and people love you.

Just reading this makes ME have more faith in mankind..that the world will all be okay in the end. Gives me a glimmer of hope that there are loving, caring wonderful people out there. When I read the news and hear heartbreaking stories or ones that induce feelings of anger and saddness in me…it helps to know that there are still good people out there.

I’m so glad you got to experience the love first hand, in person from so many wonderful people! …and who knows…maybe next time I’ll be right there with the crowds trying to mob you and steal a hug or two! ;)

Erin´s last post…Bebe Watch

8. ThePeachy1 August 10, 2010 at 2:41 PM #

Holy Crap I know Pete is printing out this post and forwarding it the national archives to go down in history that you admitted he was actually right about something.. Or wait. Has Pete hacked your blog and wrote trying to make us think you said he was finally right? Now I am scared for you, he could have you dressed in a school girl uniform somewhere while he wrote this because he finally snapped ( thin line that it was). Let me know if you need me to send help. But don’t blink in morse code, I suck at that.

• The Pony Lady August 11, 2010 at 10:22 AM #

Hehehehe….little plaid skirt…thigh high socks….platform mary janes…. white button down shirt tied at the midriff…pigtails on top of the head….HAWT!

9. Theresa Milstein August 10, 2010 at 1:52 PM #

Even though you don’t know me, I had followed Peter’s posts after your 2nd stroke. I even wrote a post about it. I knew about what had happened because of Jenny Lawson.

When I saw you and your husband at one of the parties at BlogHer, I introduced myself. It’s strange because I’ve been reading about you, but I’m just a stranger to you. I guess this means you’re famous.

Theresa Milstein´s last post…Platform Contest!

10. pixielation August 10, 2010 at 10:57 AM #

He knew your power. It can’t be denied – you’ve inspired people repeatedly in different ways for so many different things. You were a mountain mover even when you couldn’t move. For each single person who did speak to you I bet there were another 10 who didn’t get a chance, and another 50 who couldn’t be at blogher in the first place, but would love to just say hi face to face.

xoxo

pixielation´s last post…Aspiring to be average – a teaser

11. Melinda August 10, 2010 at 10:41 AM #

I always hate it when my husband is right about things like that. (And, btw, he always is – I am too optimistic for my own good about socializing in the real world.)

But I am thrilled ya’ll had such a fantastic time!

12. Chicky Chicky Baby August 10, 2010 at 10:00 AM #

I was glad to get the short time I had with you. To get a drive-by squeeze between all the people who wanted to talk with you, to finally meet that husband of yours (or as I referred to him in my head, Super Pete), or to kiss you on the cheek, I was thankful for whatever I could get. It wasn’t the lunch with cheesy bacon fries that we had talked about but we’ll do that next time. ;) MUCH love to you both.

Chicky Chicky Baby´s last post…Step into the heart of darkness Or as I like to call it- vacation with my kids

13. Jill of All Trades August 10, 2010 at 9:20 AM #

So glad it was an awesome time. Wish I could have been there. Maybe next. You go girl!!!!!

Jill of All Trades´s last post…Donkeys and Goats

14. Hamlet's Mistress August 10, 2010 at 8:43 AM #

I’m so glad you had a good time and that so many of your fans got to meet you and let you know what you’ve done for them. I’m sure it’s hard to even conceive of the lives you’ve changed when you simply wanted to thank people for their support and gifts and love… but what you’ve given people is so much bigger than that. For a lot of people out there, people living with disabilities or really, just people like me who don’t know some days how they’re going to put one foot in front of the other all. day. long… you’ve given the best thing. Hope.
    I’m so glad you went and I’m so happy for everyon who got to meet you. I wish I had been among them.
    HM

Hamlet’s Mistress´s last post…If I could have anything…

15. Andrea (Lil-Kid-Things) August 10, 2010 at 8:16 AM #

It was such an honor to meet you and Peter. You truly brightened every room you entered!

Andrea (Lil-Kid-Things)´s last post…I left my brain in NYC…

16. Dawn Sandomeno August 10, 2010 at 8:02 AM #

I saw you. I wanted to say hello, but seriously you were being mobbed and hugged and kissed and I watched from across the way and I thought about how much you are loved!

Dawn Sandomeno´s last post…Summer “No-Cook” Dinner Party!

17. Desera August 10, 2010 at 6:38 AM #

Awwww! I’m so glad it was awesome for you! ♥

18. Susie August 10, 2010 at 3:58 AM #

I loved this post of yours, Anissa. You had the honesty to say you were wrong and turned it into an awesome example of gratitude. Heartfelt and wonderful writing as always! Your tale of the “alleged” bomb residue on your leg brace and that ridiculous car service guy just proves “it’s not an adventure unless something goes wrong”.
    From 3000 miles away, I imagine you were a rock star surrounded by countless friends. What cracks me up is that you thought it would be any different. I’m surprised BlogHer didn’t have “Anissa cops” for crowd control. People love you for being you, Anissa. (*Chuckle* And your boo-bees have nothing to do with it!)

19. Adventures In Babywearing August 10, 2010 at 1:29 AM #

Oh this is wonderful. I am sad I didn’t see you in person but I see your heart here and it’s almost just as good.

Steph

Adventures In Babywearing´s last post…But who will point out the good parking spaces

20. tara August 10, 2010 at 12:16 AM #

i was sitting almost next to you on the couch, just about to say hello to you at the EZPZ party, waiting for you to catch a breath from the other three people on your sides, when another gal totally snuck in between us and had your ear for the next forseeable future. anyway, you’re awesome, and i’m glad blogher treated you well.

tara´s last post…things you may or may not know by looking at me

21. Danielle Smith August 9, 2010 at 11:56 PM #

Yep. Seeing you made me smile. Clearly I was not alone.

Danielle Smith´s last post…Finding your HOME at BlogHer

22. Miss Britt August 9, 2010 at 11:31 PM #

I am so honored I got a chance TWICE to catch you guys away from the crowds.

I’m bummed I missed your panel though. I really didn’t think I’d be able to handle it. (YES, I’m an asshole.) But I heard you were fantastic – which, DUH! Of course you were!

Miss Britt´s last post…Alone in a Crowd

23. George G Smith Jr August 9, 2010 at 11:30 PM #

Seeing you was one of the highlights of my week. I ran across the lobby just to stop you and say hi! You made me laugh so much at your panel. I’ll blame Pete for the tears. Still – omg – loved it! So happy you were there…

24. Minky {moo} August 9, 2010 at 11:26 PM #

I saw you in the bar and was going to come and say hi but you were more surrounded than Justin beiber at the mall. I wish I had gotten the chance to tell you how you inspire me and how amazing you are! it was brilliant to see you there, rocking BlogHer. Next year I will find you and hug you. I swear to it.

Minky {moo}´s last post…I’m Like Holly Go Lightly- but without the prostitution Part 1

25. Shannan August 9, 2010 at 11:25 PM #

And you didn’t believe me when I said I was getting my hug before I couldn’t fight through the crowds to get to you. I told you you were famous! Everyone loves you just as much as I do and I thank God that I had those couple minutes to see your face!

Shannan´s last post…The Sweetest Things

26. Janine (@twincident) August 9, 2010 at 11:18 PM #

It was a highlight of the weekend to get to chat with you and to meet Peter. Loved having you there. And, I can still say I have not been to a blog conference yet without you there!

27. Kate Shields August 9, 2010 at 11:06 PM #

An attitude of gratitude. And after all you’ve been through, it’s inspiring to see that!

28. Nikki August 9, 2010 at 11:03 PM #

I seriously wish I could have gone to BlogHer. You are such an inspiration to everyone that comes into contact with you… Sending you hugs from MA, and hoping and praying that I can meet you someday to give you that hug in person and tell you how much you have inspired me as a person, a blogger, and spiritually. You are one amazing person.

Nikki´s last post…A New Journey

29. AmazingGreis August 9, 2010 at 11:02 PM #

The more I hear about the weekend, the more bummed I am that I wasn’t there. To see you, to see Peter, to see so many friends!! I miss you all.

You are an inspiration to us all. Your strength, your courage, your amazing will. I will thank you always for showing me what there truly is to be thankful for in life.

Thank You!!! XOXO

AmazingGreis´s last post…New York State of Mind…

30. Missives From Suburbia August 9, 2010 at 11:02 PM #

What a lovely thing to be wrong about. Is that the first time in history a husband was right?

Missives From Suburbia´s last post…Shes a Girly Girl

• Peter Mayhew August 10, 2010 at 7:40 AM #

Technically no.

The first time was when I told the doctors they didn’t know who they were dealing with.

31. @Militaryfamof8 August 9, 2010 at 10:59 PM #

sux, I was one of those people that didnt get to hug ya ;)
    we had a hell week, and made it to blogher, just as we got a call that Grampa in law passed away, so we had to leave,
    let me tell you both,
    That you two cutie pies are SUCH AN INSPIRATION IN EVERYONE’S LIVES!!!!!
    hug ;)