I really need a different posse

Let’s get a few thing straightened out.  Everything may not be totally clear.

I have three therapists at Pathways, which is a part of the Shepherd Center, where I do my outpatient therapy.

• Physical therapy – done by Beth, this deals with my walking, transferring,  lower extremities, getting up when I fall, pool exercise and stuff like that
  • Occupational therapy – done by Ruth-Ann, this deals with upper body, my arm, things I can do around the house, cooking, my glasses, and more of that
  • Speech therapy – done by Jean-Marie, speech, obviously, facial changes, eating, language, cognitive, and all that jazz

Now, that work is done in Atlanta.  I used to go every day for hours, but thanks to Mr. Insurance I’m only going there once a month to show change, progress, and have them change up my home routine.

I go to Dr. Pain twice every week.  Actually, he’s called the Running Doctor, but what he does cases me a LOT of pain. He applies sport medicine techniques to train my muscles.  I’ve told him that unless I tell him to stop, he’s supposed to keep going.  It hurts, I cry, I don’t tell him to stop. When I came home from the hospital in February, my arm didn’t move.

I flushed a toilet.  That’s a big deal. So, I don’t say stop.

I could tell you about a dozen other people, but then I start tp forget people and this gets long.

I don’t do long.

I have a hand cramp as it is.

All I can say is that without these people I wouldn’t be making the steps I’ve made.

The steps I’m going to make.

24 Responses to I really need a different posse

1. James P January 12, 2017 at 12:12 PM #

You seem to have a great team around you which is important for your recovery. When my wife got injured I found a great program in South Florida called Center for Neuro Recovery. While attending this program, she made a lot of progress both physically and mentally in a relatively short period of time. You can find out more information here:

2. Susie September 1, 2010 at 2:45 AM #

It’s always wonderful to hear of good people in this crazy world. We all need angels in our corner. And it sounds like you have a whole bunch of ‘em, Anissa!

Now go get tomorrow…

3. Liz August 30, 2010 at 7:01 PM #

Hurray for good docs, nurses, and therapists! My dad had some bad experiences with the heath care profession a little while back, but finally found some of the good guys and things are looking up. It’s so easy to forget that those good guys vastly outnumber the not so good, and it’s good to see good work and dedication praised.

Hang in there, Anissa! I’m still cheering for you.

4. Jessica August 30, 2010 at 3:32 PM #

I too am confused by health insurance unwillingness to cover PT/OT/speech therapy. Just on the financial side of things, if you do not gain mobility and the ability to care for yourself then in the long run your medical needs will be a bucketload more expensive than if you did gain the ability to walk, use your right hand, etc. It’s totally “cut off the nose to spite the face” policy.

My mom has told me as she works to recover from her stroke that she will spend the rest of her life recovering from the stroke. When I told her how sad that made me feel, she laughed and said, “What else am I going to do? It’s better than needle point.” :-) My mom and you are the toughest people I know.

5. Kelly August 30, 2010 at 12:27 PM #

I have a friend who is a physical therapist. She has driven home from work several times in tears because she can’t give someone the help they really need due to insurance restrictions. You’re not even a year out from your stroke. The whole insurance system is just stupid. But I admire your courage and ability to keep going despite the obstacles.

6. Ann August 30, 2010 at 9:28 AM #

You are in the midst of a battle to gain back every bit of flexibility and usability in your marvelous body. It’s more than a full time pursuit – feels like a lifetime I am sure. I have found that sometimes the “little things” in life tell you the most about your own progress. I’d say flushing the commode is monumental. I love the way you are documenting the battle to win back yourself. These are things we all taked for granted and are able to appreciate through your eyes.

Ann´s last post…What an afternoon!

7. Twenty Four At Heart August 30, 2010 at 8:52 AM #

I was going to PT 6 days a week (about 4 hours each day) and then I got cut off due to insurance last february. I suppose I was “lucky” because I had pt for over 3 years and most of it was covered due to all my surgeries. I’ve tried to do it on my own ever since. I’ve regressed in some areas, but I’ve made progress in a few also. My blog name for my PT was The Torturer and he became quite famous. My readers developed a love/hate relationship with him – at times their comments were quite brutal towards him. (Not fair to him, I realize.) I cried more times than I can count at PT, but it does help. In spite of the pain, I wish I could still go. I don’t think I’ll ever get where I want to be without it. It takes a special soul to become a therapist. xo

Twenty Four At Heart´s last post…Boston- First Impressions

8. Laura Scarborough August 30, 2010 at 7:22 AM #

hurray for good bathroom etiquette!
    and hurray for PT, OT and ST. boo on the insurance gods but thank you that you can continue and progress like you are doing.

Laura Scarborough´s last post…no negotiations

9. Adrienne August 30, 2010 at 1:57 AM #

Hmmmmmm safety words somewhere other than for sex, good idea.

Adrienne´s last post…A New Old Favorite

10. liz August 30, 2010 at 1:08 AM #

Agreed, rock on Anissa

11. Erin August 30, 2010 at 1:03 AM #

As always, I’m constantly amazed by your successes.

And it seems you’ve had some good peeps to help you along this bumpy road…and I’m glad…because as much as you may think you need a new posse..this one seems to be doing a good job, like they’re a pretty ‘decent’ crew…even if some days they may seem like a big ole bunch of sadists ;)

However…what the h, e, double hockey sticks is this about Mr. Insurance????

Can I just be frank and say that I think that’s a load of shit? I know that you’re working your ass off to get where you are, and yeah, that’s amazing…don’t get me wrong…but I can’t believe there is something stopping you from getting even more care…that could be even MORE bennifical.

I just don’t understand how phsyical therapy (‘regular basis’ – once a month?!) cannot be considered something essential….especially in your situation. It’s really discouraging to hear this…a big huge insurance company won’t pay out what it should because it’ll loose them a little bit of money..yet they’re being paid a premium every month? Gah! I just don’t get it…I’m so use to universal health care to begin with..but even physical therapy HERE has become an issue in the last 10 years…with it being de-listed as a covered service. I’d like those insurance companies and politicans to take a look, even a GLANCE at someones life who is using phyisical therapy as a tool to regain their independence, freedom and LIFE and tell me that’s not an essential service…GRR! Look at what you’ve accomplished and tell me that it’s not working, that you not telling someone to stop (along with a helluva lot of hard work on your own part) hasn’t been the reason for giddy toilet flushes (and what I can only assume is an increased water bill…lmao) ..and I’d really like to know just HOW having MORE of that therapy would be a negative thing?! It just seems insane to me that the world is in the state it is..and we don’t even seem to be able to be working towards some sort of a solution…how can the world be so focused on the bottom dollar, always making a buck…when there are things that people NEED….that would make their lives, and thus the world a better place?! Blah. (/end early morning (late night? i don’t know anymore), sleep deprived rants)

ANYWAY. As always, you amaze me, even in this crazy messed up world – so please don’t stop..it makes my heart happy :)

Erin´s last post…Babies &amp Blogging

• Anissa Mayhew August 30, 2010 at 7:35 AM #

It’s hard to accept that I can’t have what I know I need. Whether it’s insurance, distance, convenience, cost, kids, whatever standing in the way. I have to work harder. I just do it at home. I push constantly because I know if I don’t no one is there to look over my shoulder.

It does suck though.

12. Kristin August 30, 2010 at 12:50 AM #

It sounds like you have a wonderful team.

Kristin´s last post…Point to Ponder

13. Hamlet's Mistress August 29, 2010 at 11:49 PM #

God bless them. And you. Keep on keepin’ on, Anissa!!

HM

Hamlet’s Mistress´s last post…One of the boys…

14. Stephanie @ The Blue Zoo August 29, 2010 at 11:35 PM #

Your posse sounds pretty amazing!

Stephanie @ The Blue Zoo´s last post…Future Ex-Husbands at Only Parent Chronicles

• Anissa Mayhew August 30, 2010 at 7:25 AM #

I am a pretty lucky person, huh? I’ve got the best!

15. ConnieFoggles August 29, 2010 at 11:26 PM #

Isn’t it amazing how people who were strangers just a short time ago can change your life? They’re the ones in the trenches doing the dirty work and don’t get recognized enough.

And you my dear are amazing too. Flush toilets and keep writing. I love you lots!

ConnieFoggles´s last post…Motorola TalkABout Two-Way Radios For Back To School

16. Luci August 29, 2010 at 11:22 PM #

Hi Anissa, I’ve been reading your blog for a while. I especially loved your previous post about your deal with God. You must get tired of hearing what an inspiration you are to others but I have to tell you that you are. I enjoy reading your accomplishments and I cry for your frustration and pain. Please know that I am praying for you. Thank you for your blog!

17. Kim August 29, 2010 at 11:15 PM #

Love you lady!,,, xoxox

• Anissa Mayhew August 30, 2010 at 7:21 AM #

XOXOX

18. Claire August 29, 2010 at 11:13 PM #

I’ve been following your story for a while, and i hope you tell yourself every day how incredible you are! (because this is where i get all corny and say i think you rock)
    You’ve come so far on your journey and i wish you the best of luck on the rest of it.

• Anissa Mayhew August 30, 2010 at 7:19 AM #

I tell myself every day to brush my teeth. Is that close enough? Thank you!

19. Becky August 29, 2010 at 11:12 PM #

They’re angels, every one of them. You keep on rocking it, Anissa. <3

Leave a Reply to Jessica Click here to cancel reply.