legends of the fall, the not-brad version

I fell down again.

This time I fell because of carelessness.

For most people it can mean stubbing your toe.  Maybe you drop a bowl of cereal.  Perhaps you drop a stack of paper.

For people like me, we can’t afford to be careless.

Every time we move from bed to chair.  Every time we balance between car seat and padded seat. Every delicate dance of foot and air, careful and calculated.

A mistake hurts.

Staring at the ceiling while you catch your breath and make sure nothing is broken hurts.

The panic in a child’s voice as they ask if you’re OK HURTS even more.

The rightful doubt in your ability HURTS.

I fell down for a few minutes.

I will feel that fall forever.

18 Responses to legends of the fall, the not-brad version

1. Jennie @ ModernMamaz August 5, 2010 at 12:37 PM #

We’re all glad you were able to get up and write about it!

Jennie @ ModernMamaz´s last post…Thank You For Raising My Kids

2. Kevin August 4, 2010 at 6:58 PM #

Not to be insensitive, but I seem to be on that role today…

So, you fell down… You got back up, too, didn’t you!

Kevin´s last post…Inked

• Kevin August 4, 2010 at 7:00 PM #

Hmmm. That was either really insensitive, or really encouraging… I’m hoping for encouraging. I guess I’ll let you decide. Encouraging was the plan, just so you know…

Kevin´s last post…Inked

3. Kristin August 3, 2010 at 10:30 PM #

Damn Anissa…I’m sorry that happened but how dare Brad not show up for your recreation of Legend of the Fall. {{{Hugs}}}

Kristin´s last post…What makes you happy

4. Melinda August 3, 2010 at 5:22 PM #

On the bright side, at least no one got it on tape :)

*hugs*

5. The Pony Lady August 3, 2010 at 12:56 PM #

I’d blame it on your lack of alcohol consumption. THAT’S the reason you’re unsteady. DT’s.

6. Michelle @ Mommy Loves Stilettos August 3, 2010 at 11:29 AM #

I’m sorry that happened :( I can’t even begin to imagine. *HUGS*

Michelle @ Mommy Loves Stilettos´s last post…Glow in the Dark

7. Hamlet's Mistress August 3, 2010 at 9:47 AM #

What an emotional blow. I’m so sorry that happened. But keep your head up. You’re a rock star.

Hamlet’s Mistress´s last post…Something like that… it just sticks with you

8. Fairly Odd Mother August 3, 2010 at 6:32 AM #

It has to be the “not Brad” version b/c if he appeared when you fell, I have a feeling you’d be “accidentally” throwing yourself around a little too often. ; )

But, seriously, glad you weren’t hurt badly. I often think I should be wearing bubble wrap when I leave the house. Maybe I could start a trend?

9. Elle August 3, 2010 at 2:58 AM #

I’m just glad that you’re okay!

10. Denise mcentee August 3, 2010 at 2:22 AM #

I know it’s not the same- but if it brightens your day I’ll share. I tried to sit on a giant box at work once- but it was empty and I fell in. On my back- like a turtle. Took me about 10 minutes to get out- bruised up the entire backside of my legs- and someone saw me throwing my body back and forth trying to get out…my only excuse was stupidity- thought the box was full! Lol hope you get a chuckle from that image -:)

11. Alicia August 3, 2010 at 1:39 AM #

First, *hugs*. That sucks big time and I know how bruised your pride must be. Now, here is my vain attempt to say something inspirational.

Falling is part of living and life. We fall as toddlers learning to walk. We fall as teenagers learning to love. We fall as adults navigating the working world. We fall as the elderly as we lose our strength. It is not the fall that matters — It is what you do after the fall that should live with you, and in this case, your child, forever. You did not roll over and just give up. You did not accept defeat and resign yourself to the floor forever. No. You got up. Yes, you probably had help getting up, but you had to make the choice to get up. THAT is the part that matters. THAT is the part that should live with you and your children forever. I think it is safe to say that that is the part your children will remember. What will you remember?

Alicia´s last post…Weekly Wrap-up

12. Erin August 3, 2010 at 12:58 AM #

Thankfully, human nature often seems to allow us to be able to isolate the best in situations…and years now..if they happen to have this memory…I’m sure that they’ll remember that you got up; you persevered and you kept going…that even when you fell down (literally and otherwise) their mom kept on fighting the good fight and kept on keeping on. I doubt with every ounce of certainty that they’ll remember that you fell and your pride had been damaged….they’ll just remember how strong and courageous you really are. Totally college essay material for who they look up to – I mean really, you’re basically just ASKING for some mad tuition bills :P

Also – I really don’t think that they doubt because they love you any less or because they’re missing something – but simply because they care about you and love you.

I’m glad you’re not too injured physically…but I still wish that I had a magical ego potion where you could bathe in self confidence…and be able to not have to have all of these worries looming over you…but for now, all I can do is point out what empathetic, caring, and loving children you’re raising…because dude, that’s gotta count for at least a FEW bonus points ;)

Erin´s last post…Home Again- Home Again

13. Leslie Lehmer August 2, 2010 at 10:45 PM #

Falls suck. Badly. I’m glad you’re not physically injured but I understand that the blow to the self confidence can hurt far worse than a bruise or fracture ever could. Hope yours heals fast.

14. Laurita Olmstead August 2, 2010 at 10:31 PM #

Yeah the girls told us today and Rachel said ” Peyton did not see it I did so let me tell it” lol. I hope you aren’t hurt bad just be careful I fall alot and I know what it is like to be hurt bad.

15. Becky August 2, 2010 at 10:06 PM #

Just glad you didn’t injure yourself. *hugs*

Becky´s last post…Six Word Saturday! 7-31-10

16. Desera August 2, 2010 at 8:39 PM #

Awwww…I’m so sorry you have to go through all this! I don’t doubt your ability for a second though. You are my inspiration and I love you!

17. Elsa August 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM #