lesson 1: how to laugh

People have asked, “How can you still laugh?”

To be honest, I understand the question very well.

It would be just too easy to let it all take over.  To give in.  Give up.

It is a slow, baby-stepping, small-improvement, thankful-for-every-tiny-thing kind of thing.

And I laugh.

Maybe some don’t, but I have to.

I have to laugh and make inappropriate jokes.

I smirk at my own mistakes.

I get the giggles like a whore at church.

I face each day. Each day as I didn’t want and never planned.

But I DO face each day.

Something they gave up on me ever doing.

So, I laugh.

At jokes.  At the things my kids do.  At reruns of great shows.  At my cat that falls off the couch.  At my husband singing hair bands in the shower.

At having a day to be alive that I wasn’t supposed to have.

THAT is how I laugh every day.

16 Responses to lesson 1: how to laugh

1. Stimey August 29, 2010 at 6:53 PM #

My personal philosophy is that if you have a choice between laughing and crying, you should always try to laugh. Although sometimes you may have to do both.

Stimey´s last post…Hotel Stimey- Spreading the Disease Part IV

2. MrsFatass August 29, 2010 at 12:28 PM #

I absolutely love this post.

I get it. I’m a laugh-er. And an inappropriate joke maker. It’s how I deal. It’s not that I avoid the serious or the heavy. It’s not that I deny. But really? Laughter is a great way to decompress. It’s a great way to maintain perspective. And it feels good.

So if you’re feeling the stress pile up and want to laugh and inappropriate things? Come sit next to me. Okay?

3. Mary August 28, 2010 at 8:01 PM #

Laugh on, Girl! It’s the only way to stay sane, even if it makes others think that surely you’re not. I gave birth to a stillborn baby girl in June and MOST days I find reason to laugh until I cry but there are still days when not a damn thing is funny. Not a damn thing.

4. Julie August 28, 2010 at 3:34 PM #

I was thinking about you, thinking how difficult life must be all around, just regular functions etc., but you seem to handle it so well. I know you have your moments, but overall your attitude is amazing, and I just know that your kids are learning so much through you and your husbands response to all this. You’re a pretty amazing lady.

5. Liz August 28, 2010 at 1:57 PM #

So glad you have reasons to laugh!

I wonder, should you ever feel like blogging about it, how your experience with Payton’s cancer affects your perspective one your recovery. Or does it? I’m just curious if you’re ever looking for a prompt one day.

6. Lisa August 28, 2010 at 12:32 PM #

And why does this one almost make me cry???!!!

Because people look up to you. I just try to scale to your heights….keep raising the stakes in simple ways.

7. Scatteredmom August 28, 2010 at 10:39 AM #

Anissa, I remember when Hubs was in the hospital ICU once and the situation was dire. I didn’t know if he’d make it through the day, and together, we began cracking jokes with each other. We giggled. We laughed. Because damn it, if those were the last few hours I was having with him, they were going to be good ones.

He’s fine now. But the nurses told us later that we shocked them with our ability to find the tiny bright spots in that day. You are totally right-you HAVE to.

:) And if you need someone to help find the bright spots some days, let me know.

8. Musings of a Housewife August 28, 2010 at 7:31 AM #

I am so glad you’re still laughing. You’ve always known how to brighten a room, and THAT hasn’t changed! :-)

9. Bridget August 28, 2010 at 2:02 AM #

I’m so glad that you and your family are laugh-ers. My family is, too, and it truly is the best medicine!

Bridget´s last post…Sous-chef Smiles

10. Adventures In Babywearing August 27, 2010 at 11:29 PM #

I can’t imagine you not laughing. This makes me smile so big.

Steph

Adventures In Babywearing´s last post…There Is A Story Behind This One

11. Susie August 27, 2010 at 10:54 PM #

*Continued* So one night I got my mom to bed after her stroke and as I said goodnight, I continued walking around her bed. Her wheelchair was folded up next to the wall, but silly me never even saw it! I did an exquisite face plant at the bottom of her bed. She heard me thrashing around on the floor from pain, but couldn’t help me at all. As I’m lying there moaning, she calmly says: “Susie, you’re not getting blood all over my white carpet, are you?
    We laughed ’till we cried… It was at that moment I knew my mom was still my mom. Her sense of humor was still intact even though her body didn’t do what she wanted it to do. But she had “grit and grace” just like you, Anissa… Now go get tomorrow!

12. Susie August 27, 2010 at 10:42 PM #

Jeez, I hear you about the laughter! When my mom had her stroke, I went over to Hawaii to take care of her for about six weeks. Incredible to say, but it was one of the best six weeks of my life. Yes, I missed my hubby and my young kids, had 20-hour days, but the experiences/talks I had with my mom were priceless. *Continued in next post ‘cuz I know I’m gonna run out of space here… Anissa, I want you to hear my favorite story of that time.

13. Catherine August 27, 2010 at 10:13 PM #

I’m new to your blog and wow, you are amazing. Move over, I’m staying.

14. Hamlet's Mistress August 27, 2010 at 9:57 PM #

Keep laughing. And keep on keeping on. You’re an inspiration to many, I guarantee it and maybe, just maybe someone who wouldn’t have laughed will see you and realize it’s ok.

HM

Hamlet’s Mistress´s last post…I’d just really like to meet him

15. Heather of the EO August 27, 2010 at 9:44 PM #

You rock my socks.

xo

Heather of the EO´s last post…gobble

Trackbacks/Pingbacks