a new affair with an old flame

Before I had the strokes, I had a secret love affair.

My husband knew about it.

My kids were subjected to it so often they rolled their eyes.

I mean, we are talking passion.

The hot, steamy flames of a thousand suns.

I loved my camera.

I hated that the hobby that was gone.

I tried so hard but it wasn’t the right hand.  It wasn’t the right eye.  It was backwards.

The camera didn’t like me anymore.

I had to learn that pictures just wouldn’t be where my heart was anymore.

Then she brought a tripod that worked on a wheelchair.

I could make it work with just one hand.

In a way that made me happy.

Made me feel whole.

When I get a tripod of my own, life will change again.

I’m going to get the hobby back.

I’m going to be in love again.

(I took this picture today with the tripod I tried out.  I was so excited to get pictures of the kids on my own again, they were rolling their eyes in no time!)

34 Responses to a new affair with an old flame

1. Headless Mom September 6, 2010 at 2:34 AM #

Yay! I love your pictures. Can’t wait for more!

2. Els September 4, 2010 at 6:46 AM #

So happy to see you still got what it takes to make goosebumpy beautifull pictures!

3. lori September 3, 2010 at 4:22 AM #

What a blessing!

4. Kristin September 2, 2010 at 9:25 PM #

Oh Anissa, this makes me so happy for you. I can NOT Imagine how I would feel if I couldn’t take pictures. And, that last pic is a stunner! Wooohoooooo!

Kristin´s last post…Is this my last first

5. Miss Britt September 2, 2010 at 9:12 PM #

Would have never even thought about you losing this – and SO glad to see you able to start to get it back!!! xoxoxox

Miss Britt´s last post…Accepting MY Normal

6. Rachel September 2, 2010 at 9:09 PM #

WOO TO THE HOOOOO!

7. Twenty Four At Heart September 2, 2010 at 8:36 PM #

Also?
    Tell me …
    Is there a way for me to work a camera with one hand?
    Oh, the (breathtaking) pain that would save me ……

Twenty Four At Heart´s last post…Are You Sick of Boston Yet

8. Twenty Four At Heart September 2, 2010 at 8:34 PM #

I didn’t realize we were related, but clearly we are. Yay – us. For me, it’s the right arm … but I’m fighting so damn hard to get my photography back. It’s become a very passionate fight. (So much so, that when I return this weekend from Boston I will be making an urgent trip to the pain doc in hopes he can counter what I’ve done to myself via my camera this week!)

But?

So worth it – it makes me whole again and I know you can do this too. I know it, I know it, I know it!! Next year at BlogHer we should make a photography date together. We can do it!!

9. Susie September 2, 2010 at 8:07 PM #

Oh the photos are stunning, Anissa! Let’s hear it for eye rolling! Now go get tomorrow! Promise?

10. Susannah September 2, 2010 at 7:53 PM #

Keep ‘em coming. You still got it sister!

Susannah´s last post…Spy

11. melanie September 2, 2010 at 6:22 PM #

goosebumps…….

12. Ann's Rants September 2, 2010 at 6:13 PM #

That made me tear up. People and their passions just get to me…

These photos are full of love .

13. Jeanette September 2, 2010 at 4:44 PM #

Absolutely AWESOME that you’re taking photos again :) )

Jeanette´s last post…237-365 – My mom

14. Colleen - Mommy Always Wins September 2, 2010 at 4:26 PM #

Awesome. Congrats on finding the love again!

Colleen – Mommy Always Wins´s last post…First day of school- Mommy Always Wins style

15. Elizabeth Kaylene September 2, 2010 at 1:09 PM #

Holy macaroni, Peyton looks just like you!! Both of your kids are gorgeous. I’m so glad you got your hobby back!

Elizabeth Kaylene´s last post…Nightmares- gifts- goals- and Mindless Self Indulgence

16. Kizz September 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM #

Such beautiful pictures of such gorgeous kids. How exciting that there’s a way to get back into it again.

17. Adventures In Babywearing September 2, 2010 at 9:18 AM #

Oh Anissa I’m so glad! This is awesome.

Steph

18. joanne September 2, 2010 at 9:01 AM #

Looking forward to seeing many many picts from u again…missed them dearly and am glad you are finding that love affair again. xoxoxo

19. Neeroc September 2, 2010 at 8:54 AM #

What wonderful news that you’ve found a way to work with your camera again. Have you also investigated a remote shutter release? (I’m assuming you’re using a DSLR) most cameras will have a connection for this wire, which will alleviate right hand/left hand issues if using the tripod.

Neeroc´s last post…For he goes birling down a-down the white water…

20. Sunny September 2, 2010 at 8:52 AM #

Woohoo! I expect to see lots more great shots :D

Sunny´s last post…It’s Crap- Mommy

21. Hamlet's Mistress September 2, 2010 at 8:31 AM #

Oh, Anissa! I’m so happy that there’s a way for you to do what you love. It warms my heart.

HM

Hamlet’s Mistress´s last post…Who has the time

22. Lisa September 2, 2010 at 8:18 AM #

Where there is a will there is a way.

23. Melisa with one s September 2, 2010 at 8:12 AM #

That’s great! It’s really exciting, watching you take back so many things in your life. You’ve come so far. I can’t wait to see what’s next!

Melisa with one s´s last post…Go On Vacation To Germany With Me- At Your Leisure!

24. Amanda September 2, 2010 at 1:15 AM #

Your capacity for love and humor knows no bounds. I stand humbled by your will. Also, you bring the beauty—in you, in your kids, your photos, your words.

Amanda´s last post…3-000 Miles

25. Susan from PA September 2, 2010 at 12:51 AM #

Anissa, I have a tri-pod that I would LOVE to send to you for keeps! I do NOT need it! Please email me if you are interested and I’ll send it to you…no strings :) Wow, I may finally get to help make you happy!
    Still the lurker,
    Susan
    Don’t think about saying no, unless you get a better offer…:)

26. ThePeachy1 September 2, 2010 at 12:44 AM #

I would really like to get Alex and Lloy and me over thee for you to do a photo shoot of us, but it would be better if we could lure sam to join n.

27. Elise September 2, 2010 at 12:17 AM #

So can you post a picture of your dream tripod or describe it? Tripod or monopod attached to your chair? Your friends in Florida would like to know a little more about it. :)

28. Diana, The Doggy Mommy September 2, 2010 at 12:17 AM #

You are just amazing! You do more than I do with your temporary handicap. You inspire me in so many ways I can even begin to thank you! I know how frustrating this must be for you, I really understand. One of the things that keeps me going everyday is that I wake up and I am glad to be here to handle whatever comes my way.

We are so blessed and I am grateful, so grateful to know you and to be inspired by you! Thank You!

Diana, The Doggy Mommy´s last post…Sunday Morning Memories

29. Karalyn September 2, 2010 at 12:16 AM #

Umm holy crap is that Peyton? She’s all growed up! No, for real is that Peyton??? Love you Mayhews!

• Anissa Mayhew September 2, 2010 at 10:11 AM #

YEAH!!! That. is. Peyton. She’s growing, huh? We love you too!

30. Kim September 2, 2010 at 12:11 AM #

That’s awesome. As are you. : ) CAn’t wait to take pictures with you on our next adventure, wherever it may be !

Kim´s last post…Jeep Daze

31. TechyDad September 1, 2010 at 11:37 PM #

I’m glad I’m not the only one with a love affair with my camera. At BlogHer, though, I “cheated” and tried a new camera. (Blog post linked to in the CommentLuv.) Wish I could afford a DSLR.

TechyDad´s last post…Cheating and Desire at BlogHer10

32. MommyNaniBooboo September 1, 2010 at 11:36 PM #

Just lovely.
    And sometimes nothing brings more satisfaction than eleciting an eye roll from the kids.

MommyNaniBooboo´s last post…Btches Aint Sht!

33. InDueTime September 1, 2010 at 11:31 PM #

So very beautiful. I’m glad the relationship was rekindled.

InDueTime´s last post…Asking For Help