doing laundry…which just sounds like a bad asian joke

Laundry is a job, that thanks to Sears, I can do again.

Gratefully, I wheel myself over and wash the dirty or dry the wet.

My baskets of clean clothes waiting on their owners to come take care of them.

There’s only one load of laundry that I face with dread.

Delicates.

The one load that exists because I do.

It’s all the dresses, and the bras, and all the things that are soft and….well, delicate.

That never get dried.  In the drier.  I have to hang them to dry or spread them on a rack.

This means ever item gets put on a hanger and drip dried.

Did I tell you “drip dry” means they’re wet?

Have I mentioned this totally rad new thing I’m trying? It’s called “Doing everything with only one arm”.

It’s the newest fad.

All the cool kids are doing it.

Each item on a hanger while wet.

It takes me about thirty minutes to do a five minute job.

When all the clothes are dangling in their places, I can sit back and be proud.

Delicates done for this week.

17 Responses to doing laundry…which just sounds like a bad asian joke

1. catherine September 10, 2010 at 8:49 AM #

Arms are SOOO last year.

2. Neeroc September 9, 2010 at 9:55 PM #

Add me to the list of impressed. The closest my ‘delicates’ get to special treatment is that my padded bras are put in a bag so they don’t get lumpy. That is IT.
    And for the rest of the stuff on hangers? You’ve still got me beat!

Neeroc´s last post…Ranty- ranty tech panties

3. Susie September 9, 2010 at 9:28 PM #

Is there anything you don’t rock at, Anissa? Seriously, doing “delicates” with one arm should be an Olympic event that you would win handily with your boundless perseverance. I really can’t find enough adjectives to describe how cool you are with your attitude and hard work ! I’m left humbled searching for the words needed, so I’ll just say my heartfelt and customary “now go get tomorrow!” I know you will. You always do…

4. Jessica September 9, 2010 at 4:21 PM #

What’s a delicate? I always thought it was what I am during that special time of the month. Just don’t put me in the dryer. :-)

5. Kristin September 9, 2010 at 10:29 AM #

I am seriously impressed. No, I really am…because either my delicates get washed the WRONG way (cause I’m too damned lazy) or the lacy stuff gets shoved in a drier bag and I pray the heat doesn’t ruin them. All other laundry I rock but delicates are the bane of my existence.

Kristin´s last post…It makes me cry

6. Wanda September 9, 2010 at 10:09 AM #

Holy Anissa, you have me beat! Laundry gets done on the weekends and as quickly as possible around here. And delicates? I am going to have to start hanging mine. I am bad…lol. Good job though!

Wanda´s last post…Its Been Uphill

• Anissa Mayhew September 9, 2010 at 10:28 AM #

Remind me and I’ll take pictures of trash bins written on in Sharpie that help separate loads. So the kids can’t get them wrong.

But, we have trash cans all over the house!

• The Pony Lady September 12, 2010 at 6:44 PM #

What a great idea! Labeled trash cans. I’ll have to try that.

7. becZhang September 9, 2010 at 7:04 AM #

Wow. I suck at laundry and I’m not even sure if I own any delicates. If I do they probably aren’t very delicate anymore. Thanks again for reminding me to appreciate the “small” things. Keep kicking ass.

becZhang´s last post…does anyone know a good travel agent

8. Chris September 8, 2010 at 11:49 PM #

Hey, you are totally hired…Come to Chicago immediately. In need of someone to take their time with my delicates. You are totally in!
    One is better than no arms…No? You are doing awesome.
    You are and will remain my hero. Trust me, you get me through my darkest days.
    Love you for that!!! Oh, and get your butt to Chicago…ASAP….Need some delicates done. :)

• Anissa Mayhew September 9, 2010 at 10:25 AM #

I’m there! Chicago + laundry = shopping for new clothes!

9. Kristine (Mommy Needs Therapy) September 8, 2010 at 10:28 PM #

Delicates? Huh. Guess I don’t have any of those since I throw everything in the washer and then right into the dryer. I’m just lazy like that I guess.

Kristine (Mommy Needs Therapy)´s last post…True confessions of the crazy kind

10. Midwest Mommy September 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM #

My basket of delicates has been sitting for two weeks.

11. ThePeachy1 September 8, 2010 at 10:08 PM #

I have always thought putting away clothes was so overrated. If you leave all the clean clothes in baskets inside the laundry room and the dirty ones outside the laundry room, you don’t have to buy silly things like hangers and dressers. Plus WTF is a delicate? I must not have ever owned one of those cause everything I got goes in my 1960′s style dryer on 1 setting. “Start” which you have to run around 6 times for regular clothes or 8 for towels. Laundry is an Olympic event here. even with 2 arms.

• Anissa Mayhew September 9, 2010 at 10:24 AM #

Laurita puts my clothes away, she puts the kids’ clothes away, she leaves Pete’s in a pile.

hahahahahah

12. buffi September 8, 2010 at 10:06 PM #

Girl, I am totally ashamed of myself. Because even with two good arms, I have a basket of delicates that has been sitting there for EVAH. Yeesh. Time to get off my ass!

You ROCK, Anissa.

• Anissa Mayhew September 9, 2010 at 10:22 AM #

When I get better and I can use both arms, I will come DO THE DELICATES!!