finding someone hidden behind the wheelchair

I had a guest today. Like, someone I didn’t know, and I invited over GUEST.

I opened the door and welcomed a stranger into my house.

With my wheelchair. And my taped-up glasses. The arm that flops when it should flip.

The different me that isn’t the me that used to have guests.

The one that wants to hide behind the safety of the wood.

That person had a guest.

That person that IS me.

I had a guest.

I may be different, but inside I’m still in there.

Little by little, I’m coming out.

Slowly.

Carefully.

But, it’s happening.

I may always look different than I did, but it’s only on the outside.

14 Responses to finding someone hidden behind the wheelchair

1. Molly September 8, 2010 at 8:34 PM #

Honey, you are SO the same woman inside. I adore you

2. ThePeachy1 September 8, 2010 at 4:09 PM #

at least your house was clean. If a stranger or even a non stranger showed up here I would have to quietly sit still until they went away, I need to borrow Loretta.

3. Susie September 7, 2010 at 9:21 PM #

I find it sad in this crazy world that the “outside” of folks is even a consideration. It shouldn’t be.You say so much in a few exquisite words, Anissa. All that matters is what’s inside. Really.

Give me a warm heart, strong spirit, and kind heart any day. You’ve got all three, Anissa! Now go get tomorrow…

4. Kay Bertoch September 7, 2010 at 6:20 PM #

You go girl! loved reading this.

Love,
    Kay

5. Elizabeth @ Miss Wisabus September 7, 2010 at 6:17 PM #

I’m so glad for you. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be, but it’s wonderful to watch you taking steps forward.

Elizabeth @ Miss Wisabus´s last post…Tuesday Morning Coffee

6. Pattie September 7, 2010 at 1:26 PM #

Awesome! I loved reading this. :)

7. Shana Dumblond September 7, 2010 at 10:40 AM #

Good for you!
    Can you give me some pointers? I don’t invite guests over…like, ever.

8. Kristin September 7, 2010 at 12:44 AM #

You may look a bit different but you are still the fabulous, fantastic Anissa!

Kristin´s last post…It makes me cry

9. Erin September 6, 2010 at 11:33 PM #

I didn’t “know” you before…but I’ve spent a fair amount of my internet time pouring over your archives…feeling like I know you.

And I have to agree…you’re definitely still the same person.

Except that to me, you’ve been through something (albeit – what’s the word I’m looking for? Hrm. Let’s go with: super-ridiculously-shitastic) that has made you stronger, wiser and a little more aware of those awesome little things in life. And you’re passing those on in daily doses of blog posts, bits of laughter and ridiculous(ly awesome) tweets.

So although you’re definitely still the same old Anissa…I happen to think that you also have a little bit more sparkle, a little something extra, a bunch of pizazz that’s just bursting out – but that could be just because I didn’t ‘know you’ before :) Infact, I’m sure it was there all along, but perhaps it has just..grown? Can pizazz grow? I don’t know – but I’m willing to bet if anyone could make it grow..it’d probably be you. Anissa has one superpower to save the world…and that is…HER ABILITY TO REPRODUCE PIZAZZ! We expect the motion picture of the worlds newest and ‘flashiest’ superhero to begin filming in the spring of 2011.

Wow – Pretty sure I’m a giant ball of loopiness. Please excuse me…I don’t think that I’ve slept in weeks.

ANYWAY! Glad to hear you’re feeling more and more like yourself everyday…the old, the new and whatever you want to throw our (my?) way…I’m always down :)

Erin´s last post…How Very Interesting

10. Lex September 6, 2010 at 10:26 PM #

Yay Anissa! YOU definitely shine through! xoxo

Lex´s last post…She’s Four!

11. Mary September 6, 2010 at 10:16 PM #

Like! A lot! My dad was in a car accident in 2006 and then asphyxiated on mucus (sorry if that’s gross) while he was in the hospital. The result was very similar to that of a stroke. He was absolutely IN THERE. His body didn’t cooperate but his mind, heart and soul were there. His sense of humor remained, too. I wish that his nurses and doctors had been able to see it the way that his family and friends could see it. But how could they? But I digress… I could learn a little (or a lot) from you about letting people in to see me, literally and figuratively.

12. Hamlet's Mistress September 6, 2010 at 10:12 PM #

To those who know you best, to those who love you most… even those of us who only know you through your writing and your husband’s writing… people like me who you wouldn’t know if you ran right into me, but who just adore you… those people? We only see the inside, anyway. And you’re beautiful as ever.

HM

Hamlet’s Mistress´s last post…Must-Do Monday

13. Coral September 6, 2010 at 9:53 PM #

Hey,

Thank you so much for inviting me into your home. I have always found your sense of humor, your monkey-fighting spunk and your writing to be irresistable. It was an honor to meet you and all the Mayhews. You are a brave family who is fighting the fight and kicking it’s ass.

14. Kim September 6, 2010 at 9:32 PM #

Yay ! And I can’t wait to see you and give you hugs and kisses and eat cupcakes !! : )

Kim´s last post…War Eagle !!!