my enemy, the oven

I have learned to put things in the oven.

I don’t take thing out.  And it’s usually not heavy stuff.

But for someone who was scared of the oven, that’s progress.

Not scared exactly.

It’s hard to explain.

I was freaked by idea that I’d burn myself and not feel anything until too late.

Or that I’d get my legs stuck in the door and not be able to get loose.

The oven wasn’t my favorite thing.

I faced it with dread.

Then one evening I made up my mind.

I put my chair in place.

I locked the brakes.

I opened the door.

The heat.

It was overwhelming.  It was stifling.  I felt it where I felt nothing.  At least, I thought I did.

I shoved the cooking tray on the rack.

Reaching down, I shut the door.

I unlocked the brakes on my chair.

A push of my foot sent me rolling away.

I wiped the nervous sweat away.

It was done.

12 Responses to my enemy, the oven

1. maryc September 10, 2010 at 4:12 PM #

I’m not in a wheel chair and I’m nervous around ovens, too. (doesn’t help I burned myself on a rack, once.)

And, to make you laugh, here is someone else who knows the danger of ovens:

maryc´s last post…Dr Mike Hates Speech

2. Susie September 10, 2010 at 3:53 PM #

Anissa, this is classic, iconic writing! “Face the fear and do it anyway”. That’s what you did. We all have fears. Let Anissa be our leader in conquering our own. Now go get tomorrow, lady!

3. Kristin September 10, 2010 at 10:42 AM #

Way to go Anissa!

Kristin´s last post…Things Kids Dont Learn in School

4. Shana Dumblond September 10, 2010 at 9:56 AM #

Ovens are scary. I know mine freaks me out!
    Way to conquer!

5. Mike P. September 10, 2010 at 9:17 AM #

I walk with two canes, but can get around the kitchen using counters, etc. Large kitchens are overrated, and fortunately, I don’t have one. So, the stove stop is my nemesis. I am always afraid I am going to slip and stick my hand on a burner. Fortunately, I’ll know right away. Really glad we don’t have one of those fancy stoves with non-glowy hot spots.

So, the oven can get hot and cook food, huh? Who knew…

Mike

Mike P.´s last post…Alex and Our Commitment to Society

6. Kristine (Mommy Needs Therapy) September 9, 2010 at 11:12 PM #

Now you can check that one off your list!

So what’s next? Laundry is conquered, now the oven is. What’s next? Maybe we can help you problem solve your next challenge.

Now make me some snickerdoodles and send them to me, k?

Kristine (Mommy Needs Therapy)´s last post…True confessions of the crazy kind

7. Judy Schwartz Haley | CoffeeJitters.Net September 9, 2010 at 10:50 PM #

It’s amazing what we take for granted. I used to take my boobs for granted, and my health.

Judy Schwartz Haley | CoffeeJitters.Net´s last post…She keeps stealing my hat

8. domestic extraordinaire September 9, 2010 at 10:12 PM #

You can conquer it all my dear.

I know this for a fact.

Miss you all like mad.

domestic extraordinaire´s last post…Summers End

9. Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] September 9, 2010 at 10:05 PM #

YOU?

Awesome.

10. Annika September 9, 2010 at 10:03 PM #

Your writing is amazing! So glad you found me on Twitter and I got to discover your blog.

Annika´s last post…Art- humor

11. Leslie Diamond September 9, 2010 at 9:52 PM #

It’s my enemy because I like baking too much, tasty desserts mean extra weight *sigh*.

12. tricia mumby September 9, 2010 at 9:46 PM #

good for you! I’m afraid of the oven because I find cooking often leads to dirty dishes… You have a valid reason to be uneasy. But, you keep showing us that nothing will stop you! What’d you cook?!