some things never change

Someone called the other day.

Asking for my advice.

Willing to believe that not all my circuits had been fried in the strokes.

Knowing that I may be slower than in the past.

It may take longer to think of the answer that I’m trying to come up with.

My mind may wander from the point.

But I’ll get there.

With the same honesty and forthrightness.

They were qualities important to me before my strokes.

They’re still vital to me now.

Speed can change.

Values will always stay the same.

11 Responses to some things never change

1. Shawna September 14, 2010 at 11:01 AM #

Somehow the essential parts stay the same! Your journey through this has been an inspiration, thank you.

2. Ivy September 11, 2010 at 8:13 PM #

One word: beautiful

Ivy´s last post…The Mental Cost Behind A Nomadic Childhood Experience

3. MrsFatass September 11, 2010 at 1:31 PM #

Best post I’ve read anywhere in a long long time. Simple. Honest. Beautiful.

MrsFatass´s last post…shut the door

4. Cathy September 11, 2010 at 8:55 AM #

I think it’s a huge compliment to you that this person still came to you….to challenge you in a way, to keep you sharp. (of course this isn’t a concern with your wit) – Several years ago my Dad’s brain was invaded by a brain tumor, but he was always my go-to guy for all questions in my life. I still called him, I just needed more patience. :)

Cathy´s last post…Schools No Cell Phone Policy Doesnt Pertain to Teachers- Apparently

5. Julie Presley September 11, 2010 at 8:24 AM #

Cyber-hugs from Texas! I read your blog almost every day, but often don’t comment because all I want to do is hug you and tell you how amazing I think you are. All of you.

6. LL September 11, 2010 at 7:32 AM #

Wow. Hear hear.

7. Coral September 10, 2010 at 7:23 PM #

You are amazing. That did not change.

8. Jessica September 10, 2010 at 6:12 PM #

My mom has always been my first and favorite person to go to when I have a gnarly problem. And since the stroke and her loss of language she is still my favorite person for advice. She just helped me figure out what school my kid should go to for kindergarten. She may only have about 150 words but they are the right words. And she has the same gorgeous smart brain – it’s just wired a little different right now.

9. Kristin September 10, 2010 at 4:56 PM #

I’m glad people are realizing just how awesome you still are!

Kristin´s last post…Things Kids Dont Learn in School

10. Hamlet's Mistress September 10, 2010 at 4:26 PM #

I’m so glad the people in your life still know you are who you always were. It warms my heart and if I was a regular person in your life I’d totally call you for advice. I’d do it now, but that would probably just be weird, us having never met and all, to be asking you advice on my personal life. Right? Wouldn’t it? Because let me tell you I have a crap ton of stuff I need advice on. Yeah, definitely. Weird.

Hamlet’s Mistress´s last post…Thursday Thirteen

11. Sara Broers September 10, 2010 at 4:23 PM #

You are an inspiration……some things never do change, you are so right! You cannot go wrong with honesty…….ALWAYS rules!

Sara Broers´s last post…School pictures