this is the morning after

I made it back.

In one piece.

After laughing more in one weekend than I have in a long time. (Like, so hard that I had to go to the bathroom more regularly.)

After an opportunity to meet new friends and see faces that made me smile in familiarity.

After talking about my strokes again, and threatening anyone that used “inspirational” to describe me.

After telling my room mate I got up every night to use the bathroom, and never woke her.

After taking my friends around a little of Asheville in my wheelchair.

After unpacking my suitcase at home to find we brought back the “Guest Services Directory”.  (That’s the binder that tells you about room service, pool rules, and things like the business center.) (I’m thinking about leaving it on the nightstand next to the bed in the guest room.)  (Chateau de Mayhew)

I’m home.

Feeling a little less handicapped than I did on Thursday.

, ,

17 Responses to this is the morning after

1. Dawn Tucker September 28, 2010 at 6:44 PM #

So glad you laughed so much. And that you made it to the bathroom on time!

And hoping that each new time you go away you come back feeling less handicapped that the last. Cheers to that!

2. Coal Miner's Granddaughter September 28, 2010 at 3:59 PM #

Woo hoo! Glad you went, had a great time, laughed, and made it back. :)

Coal Miner’s Granddaughter´s last post…Running Cheaper Than Therapy

3. Susie September 28, 2010 at 2:49 PM #

Sounds like a perfect weekend, Anissa. Especially the extra laughter. We all need that. Now go get tomorrow…

4. Nichole September 28, 2010 at 11:19 AM #

Glad you made it home safely!

Nichole´s last post…A Type-D take on the Type-A conference

5. Kelby September 28, 2010 at 10:09 AM #

I am so glad you came! And this? Makes the whole con worth all the trouble:
    “Feeling a little less handicapped than I did on Thursday.”

And what are the rates at Chateau Mayhew? Sounds fancy!

Kelby´s last post…Wilsonart International Laminate Plant Tour

6. Robin ~ PENSIEVE September 28, 2010 at 8:48 AM #

Whew…I thought you had accidentally taken home the flat screen TV, too.

;)

(Loved seein’ you…even if it was much too brief :) .)

Robin ~ PENSIEVE´s last post…Type-A Mom Conference Master Linky

7. icarolann September 27, 2010 at 10:29 PM #

OK…I’m with you on this …you’re not all that inspirational. Sounds like you’re the same person you were before the strokes – one tough cookie – any way you bake it. Your friends should be rejoicing in THAT miracle. Glad to hear you can go to the bathroom like the big girls AGAIN! Rock on, A!

8. Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] September 27, 2010 at 9:46 PM #

You’re making me cry again, Mayhew.

You’re my inspiration.

neener.

Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing]´s last post…Quick &amp Dirty

9. Michelle @ Mommy Loves Stilettos September 27, 2010 at 5:51 PM #

THat is awesome!!! Happy for you :) xo

Michelle @ Mommy Loves Stilettos´s last post…An Open Letter To Mr Saggy Pants

10. Ordinary Sarah September 27, 2010 at 1:36 PM #

I was thinking about you, hoping everything would go smoothly so you could enjoy your time. So happy to hear that you did! :)

Ordinary Sarah´s last post…Wordless Wednesday- Outside

11. Kristin September 27, 2010 at 12:50 PM #

That last line Feeling a little less handicapped than I did on Thursday. makes it all worthwhile. I am so glad you had a good time.

Kristin´s last post…Round and round and round we go

12. Ann September 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM #

Love this post girl! Sounds like an awesome weekend for you…laughter side effects and all.

In my opinion, your friends will consider you “I” for the rest of your lives, but they will know you well enough to never say the word to your face. It’s self preservation for them! You caused me to smile today and I really appreciate that more than you know.

Ann´s last post…She’s six and fearless

13. mommabird2345 September 27, 2010 at 12:11 PM #

Sounds like a great time. So glad you had fun. :)

14. Sharon Heg September 27, 2010 at 12:11 PM #

“Feeling a little less handicapped than I did on Thursday.” THAT, my friend (OK, we’re not really friends – it would be stalkerscaryrish if I really thought we were friends), is the most important part of all. I’m SO glad you enjoyed your weekend!

Sharon Heg´s last post…Two Years

15. Caroline September 27, 2010 at 11:30 AM #

So good to hug you and talk to you. When you’re down here for Thanksgiving, consider coming back forever? Please? Much love, my friend.

Caroline´s last post…Type A Mom Conference Bound and Sponsored

16. toywithme September 27, 2010 at 11:17 AM #

Sounds like you had a fabulous time. Good for you :)

toywithme´s last post…Girl On Girl Action Isn’t For Me

17. Jayne September 27, 2010 at 11:14 AM #

I’m not going to use the ‘I’ word…I’m just going to tell you that I think you’re awesome and that I think I love you a bit.