who’s pouring?

I’m doing something that is either a piece of cake or you’d rather have bamboo shoved under your nails.

I’m trying to install WordPress by myself.

This might seem like nothing, but I used to do it at the drop of a hat.

Like actually install it. Not just push the “Install WordPress” button.

Because I eyed it.

I looked at that button HARD.

And opted to do it the old-fashioned way to make sure I still could.

For the non-tech minded, I’ll try to set examples that make sense.

Imagine you have to build a fire, and someone gives you a lighter.  You choose to rub two sticks together.

Or you’ve got a sweet new baby and instead of the diaper, you decide to go with some paper towel.

These things will work.

But there’s a much easier way.

Do I take it?

Of course not.

*head desk* *repeat banging*

So, today I’m thinking about the people I know that are much better at this than  me. I’m thinking about the software that could make this less difficult.  I’m thinking about doing it the hard way before slacking off and taking the easy way out.

I’m NOT thinking about how simple it COULD be.

I’m really NOT.

I’m also not thinking mojitos sound good before noon.

9 Responses to who’s pouring?

1. MommyGeek September 23, 2010 at 7:31 AM #

Didja get it installed? :)

There are folks out there who *haven’t* had a stroke who can’t figure out how to push the button, Anissa. You’re, like… way the fuck ahead of them.

MommyGeek´s last post…Weekend wrap up awesome

2. Coal Miner's Granddaughter September 22, 2010 at 9:54 PM #

I attempted to install WordPress by myself for my family blog. And then I cried, caved, and emailed a Canadian blogger friend who did it for me in five minutes. Yeah. I’m a wuss.

3. Kristin September 22, 2010 at 5:14 PM #

Sometimes you have to take the hard way just to prove to yourself that you can…Good luck.

Kristin´s last post…Winner of the Die-Cut Business Cards

4. thepsychobabble September 22, 2010 at 4:57 PM #

ack. Good luck!

thepsychobabble´s last post…Conversations with a 5 year old

5. Judy Schwartz Haley | CoffeeJitters.Net September 22, 2010 at 2:57 PM #

Sometimes I do things the hard way just so that I know that I can – also because maybe I dont have enough other crap to worry about. yeah, right.

sending you a mental margarita

Judy Schwartz Haley | CoffeeJitters.Net´s last post…Wedding Photos

6. Poppy September 22, 2010 at 1:45 PM #

Make a backup of your database and push the Button. :)

It’s ridiculous to me that there was ever a time when WP made you install updates manually. And I know it doesn’t always work to push the button… but that’s what backups are for. I actually just FTP into my space, download ALL my files, then push the button just in case all the parts get blown to bits.

7. Marilyn (A Lot of Loves) September 22, 2010 at 12:28 PM #

I installed WP once the old way and that once was enough for me. *handing you a cold one*

Marilyn (A Lot of Loves)´s last post…Two Crazy Kids- Wednesday of Few Words

8. Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points September 22, 2010 at 11:13 AM #

It’s barely 8 am here, and I’m totally good with the mojitos idea.

Mojitos with breakfast. There’s mint. And lime. It’s practically health food.

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points´s last post…No Words Needed

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention who’s pouring? -- Topsy.com - September 24, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by AnissaMayhew, Kat Caverly. Kat Caverly said: RT @AnissaMayhew: New Post: who’s pouring? http://tinyurl.com/3xpnyuc [...]