ability – capacity or power to act

Abilities.

Measuring what the limits are.

I have thought about what I’m really able to do.

Can I do all the things I used to do?

Yes.  It just takes me longer and, to be honest, sometimes the result is crap.

Is knowing my own limitations something I’ve had to come to grip with?

Yes.  It’s hard.  And sometimes it gives me a goal to work towards.

Are there some things I have had to say goodbye to?

Yes. There are.  For now.  Maybe for always. Will I stop trying?

I’ve thought about giving up.

There are days I’m just tired.

Moments when the progress seems so small its pointless.

Then I have to push up off the floor.

I think I might feel a little more in my toes than I did.

I am able to do something that I never did before.

My abilities.

The same as my drive.

Limitless.

12 Responses to ability – capacity or power to act

1. Susan form PA October 30, 2010 at 8:47 AM #

Hey Anissa,
    My friend (who had a major stoke in July) was discharged from rehab on Tuesday, and came in a wheelchair, to our Halloween parade at school, I thought of you. I will continue to tell her that recovering might seem very slow, but she is a survivor, and fighter just like you! I have learned so much about courage and a kick ass will to keep going from you. Reading your blog for all this time without ever meeting you has made me focus on your voice (in writing that is) and that has not changed. Your wit was present even when you were typing in single sentences! You are still amazing you. As I hugged Caren yesterday she whispered in my ear and I heard her voice..a hint of sarcasm and wit and I knew for sure, she is still Caren. And from your example I know the possibilities are now endless. So, keep inspiring us, and most importantly yourself. YOU are amazing!

2. Cindy C. October 28, 2010 at 3:04 PM #

Ah, I am rebuked…in a good way. Keep going!! Thanks for sharing your struggles with us. I am inspired to do something I didn’t think I could do. Well, at least try to do it. ;)

3. Jayne October 28, 2010 at 8:24 AM #

You put most of us to shame, you really do. Keep it up, you lovely lady.

Jayne´s last post…Facebook is making me die inside.

4. Jen October 28, 2010 at 8:18 AM #

You are amazing Anissa! xoxo

5. becZhang October 27, 2010 at 10:07 PM #

I don’t want you to punch any babies so I won’t say the “I” word, but keep on doing the damn thing. You are freaking awesome.

becZhang´s last post…my kid is the next magic eraser spokesman

6. Susie October 27, 2010 at 7:32 PM #

Yes, Bridget. I love Nick Vujicic! I’ve watched his videos. I love the intro
    when he’s standing at the soccer net and the ball comes wizzing toward him. I won’t ruin it by saying what he says…but it cracks me up every time. Anissa and Nick’s drive to persevere are identical…

7. Bridget October 27, 2010 at 6:39 PM #

I’m so proud of you – you are a fighter! You must go to youtube and check out this guy nick vujicic – he’s a fighter too :)

Bridget´s last post…Holy Flashback

8. Susie October 27, 2010 at 5:17 PM #

I don’t know if this link will come up from You Tube, Anissa, but it’s called, “The Don’t Quit Poem”. My favorite line from it is: “Rest if you must, but don’t you quit!” Yes, it has your un-favorite word “inspirational” in the title, but please don’t let that stop you from looking at it. It’s my go-to video when I face a challenge now as a widow/single mom. It’s just the perfect combination of words, pictures and music all in just two minutes. Others may love it too. Here’s the link (you may need to copy & paste):
    Now go get tomorrow, Anissa… What miracles await for you?

9. mommabird2345 October 27, 2010 at 12:16 PM #

You amaze me. I know you can do it!

10. Diane Brogan October 27, 2010 at 6:15 AM #

Never, never, never give up! You can do it. You also encourage all of us on the side lines.

11. Hamlet's Mistress October 26, 2010 at 11:43 PM #

Lesser women would have given up. I hate to say that I think I may be one of them.

I won’t say you’re an inspiration, I don’t want you to vomit.

So I’ll say this:

You’re just you… and you’re doing it so well.

HM

Hamlet’s Mistress´s last post…Battle of the double X chromosomes

12. Kristin October 26, 2010 at 10:59 PM #

Can I just say that you impress the hell out of me?

Kristin´s last post…These were a few of my favorite things