another chapter, but never instructional

I have always tried things I wasn’t necessarily sure would work.

You may feel free to read the post before this if you need proof.  Go ahead.  I’ll wait.

A couple of weeks ago I felt something different in my right foot.

It wasn’t a good feeling.  It wasn’t a bad feeling.  It was a surprise that it was any kind of feeling at all.

It just felt different.

Really great way to describe it.  I know.

So last night I decided to test a theory.

I had Pete standing ready in case I wasn’t quite as ready as I was willing to guess I was.

I stood up.

I put both feet on the ground.

I let go of my safety handles.

Both of my legs and feet supported me as my left hand finished a task that WASN’T holding on for on for dear life.

For the first time since I had my strokes I stood on my own two feet without grasping something.

It felt amazing.

It was a step in a direction I don’t even know how to navigate.

I had waited for this.

I’m ready for the future to start again.

32 Responses to another chapter, but never instructional

1. Deidra October 28, 2010 at 6:46 AM #

Congrats! What an exciting accomplishment. And no…you are NOT inspirational. :)

Deidra´s last post…DeidraMcO: misszoot that’s because the first 100 pages are BORING

2. Susie October 27, 2010 at 5:04 PM #

Well, I’m late to the party! Whoo hoo! I can’t tell you how big the grin on my face is, Anissa! Everyday another miracle awaits–but miracles sometimes take grueling hard work at the same time. You have grit and grace, and I’ve come to realize how important perseverance is in your journey. I feel honored to be able to read about your progress. Thank you! The news is amazing, you are amazing–and I’m telling you right now that there’s NO stopping you. Now go get tomorrow (like you always do!)…

3. Kay October 26, 2010 at 8:33 PM #

Amazing!! I am so happy for you and your family. It is such hard work, but you are getting there! Congrats………

4. Melinda October 26, 2010 at 7:15 AM #

OMG!!! *jumps around happily for you* This is wonderful! Yay!!!!!

5. Joanna Moore October 25, 2010 at 11:49 PM #

That is the best news. You are truly a miracle.

6. Jamie October 25, 2010 at 11:19 AM #

One big huge YAY. That is so wonderful.

Jamie´s last post…Today’s treasure pulling together “Do a little dance…”

7. Neeroc October 25, 2010 at 11:12 AM #

That. That is friggin amazing. You show them!

Neeroc´s last post…Goodbye Sasha-bear

8. Monica-MommyBrain October 25, 2010 at 10:07 AM #

OMG I just squeeee’d! My hubby ran in here to see what was going on and he was like.. “wow… That’s amazing… She’s doing so well.”… He’s excited too..
    Anissa.. You’re amazing.. You’re making HUGE strides… and You’re going to be walking soon! You’ve come so far in just one year… Lots of hard work.. but girl.. You kick ass… Hugs & love from NC

Monica-MommyBrain´s last post…Hanes and Susan G Komen

9. Dawn Tucker October 25, 2010 at 5:05 AM #

Such awesome news.
    “It felt amazing” … It WAS AMAZING …. YOU are amazing!!
    Keep going girl, you’ll have this walking lark cracked again in no time.
    (With a little bit of prayer going up from a few friends!).
    Thank you for the smile you’ve put on my face this morning.
    xx

10. Lorrie October 25, 2010 at 2:06 AM #

HEAL!!!!!!

11. misty October 25, 2010 at 1:36 AM #

yep, its the lurker from TEXAS :) Your posts always have me choked up.. whether its choking from laughing so hard, or choking back tears! YOU. ARE. AMAZING! Keep up that hard work, I KNOW with your attitude, YOU WILL walk again, you wont stop until you do!! Thanks for being such an inspiration to everyone who happens upon your blog~~ :) Hugs from Texas!!

12. Kathy October 24, 2010 at 11:40 PM #

13. Erin October 24, 2010 at 11:26 PM #

I have been most horrendous at commenting – even though I have been following you diligently in my google reader..the actual clicking on the link step always seems to be my curse..

Alas – this news could not be distracted from..because HOLY CRAP THAT’S AMAZING AND I’M SO FRIGGEN EXCITED/HAPPY/ELATED/AHHHH! FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t even know what else to say except CONGRATULATIONS LADY! Lots of love and happiness being sent your way – although with this news…I’m sure you’re already swimming in it :)

Erin´s last post…Shit Show

14. Kristin October 24, 2010 at 11:15 PM #

Oh Anissa, I am so thrilled! I am so very happy for you.

Kristin´s last post…These were a few of my favorite things

15. Hamlet's Mistress October 24, 2010 at 10:56 PM #

You’ve struck me from the beginning as someone who has always had the ability to stand on your own two feet and face whatever is thrown at you. It gives me tears of joy to know that you’re physically able to do again what you’ve always conquered mentally. I love you, Anissa, keep it up. Soon you’ll be back to kicking ass with you’re own two feet again, too.

Hamlet’s Mistress´s last post…Suppressed memories…

16. The Tutugirl October 24, 2010 at 10:53 PM #

Yay! That’s awesome!

17. Alicia October 24, 2010 at 10:34 PM #

Tears came to my eyes while reading this. Thank you for sharing this most excellent news. :)

Alicia´s last post…The higher they fly

18. magpie October 24, 2010 at 10:26 PM #

you are so cool. continued good healing to you.

19. Fiona October 24, 2010 at 10:23 PM #

Such awesome news!!!!

20. Lisa October 24, 2010 at 10:13 PM #

That is amazing, Anissa, absolutely amazing.

Lisa´s last post…Everything Becomes Fun

21. Colleen October 24, 2010 at 10:00 PM #

Those nerves are coming back to life!

22. Lorrian October 24, 2010 at 9:59 PM #

Hooray for Anissa!!! You are not inspiring. And I am a liar. :-)

23. Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) October 24, 2010 at 9:58 PM #

Yay!

24. Suebob October 24, 2010 at 9:57 PM #

So happy for you and your family. Hugs.

Suebob´s last post…More on the Rear-View Life List

25. Bridget October 24, 2010 at 9:38 PM #

Woo-hoo! Doing the happy dance for you here!

Bridget´s last post…Teaching Your Child to Break the Rules

26. Kyooty/Mary October 24, 2010 at 9:37 PM #

Excellent news. I’m so very happy for you.

27. JACKIE October 24, 2010 at 9:29 PM #

OH HOW WONDERFUL, SPEAKING OF ANSWERED PRAYER. KEEP UP THE GOOD (HARD) WORK

28. valmg @ Mom Knows It All October 24, 2010 at 9:23 PM #

This is awesome news!!! You go girl!

valmg @ Mom Knows It All´s last post…Tic Tac Goes Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month

29. Becky October 24, 2010 at 9:13 PM #

Another day another accomplishment! You rock my socks, Anissa! <3

30. ThePeachy1 October 24, 2010 at 9:13 PM #

and again I simply say, ” You rock”

31. lettergirl October 24, 2010 at 9:09 PM #

So awesome! This makes my heart sing!

lettergirl´s last post…I like it with a little old-fashioned privacy- thanks

32. The Mayor October 24, 2010 at 9:04 PM #

That is excellent news. It seems like it’s about a year since I first read about your stroke via Twitter. I’m so glad your here, and getting better all of the time.

The Mayor´s last post…Random Sass