i don’t just laugh at inappropriate moments

I have this way of being serious.

It goes with my sense of humor.

I’m neither ALL the time.

I get over the times when life get to be too much by laughing and making with the funny. It doesn’t hurt that I surround myself with some of the funniest people EVER to abuse “Ha” or “ROFL”.

It’s important at my core that I still laugh.

Not because I love Monty Python.

Or I have to believe that there is a deeper metaphysical meaning to Adam Sandler.

Even if the singing of Sarah Silverman brings me joy like no other.

I have to laugh because without it we would know that it really wasn’t me.

If I lost the ability to find humor I might as well have never left the hospital.

The four walls might have trapped me physically.

Never being able to smile would have been what held me captive.

It means so much to be able to make wisecracks on Twitter.

To giggle with my kids about an animal’s reproductive system on Mars.  (don’t ask)

No one makes better sillies than my husband.

The laughs.

That is how we know the me that came home is the me that left.

, , , ,

12 Responses to i don’t just laugh at inappropriate moments

1. Joanna Moore October 4, 2010 at 8:39 PM #

O.K., here’s the deal. You are my hero. You are funny and you are extremely deep. I know life if hard for you and that there is a lot of pain involved. I just admire you so much. I am waiting for your book and I am not just saying that. Your recovery is not yet complete so you have more chapters to write, but honestly your story is something that can teach us all so much. (I do the breast cancer thing–not as hard as your trials and tribulations, but nonetheless, not what I would like to do with my spare time…) Anyway, your writings are poetic and funny and poignant. And I learn from you.

• Anissa Mayhew October 4, 2010 at 10:26 PM #

We can always have our “It Sucks” game and know that with a stroke and cancer we stand a really good chance of winning.

Anyone that is strong enough to do what you have is my hero, don’t put it down.

xoxo

2. VDog October 4, 2010 at 5:14 PM #

Love this. Love you.

3. mommabird2345 October 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM #

You definitely are still you. As funny as ever. I love it!! :)

4. Susan (5 Minutes for Mom) October 3, 2010 at 1:35 AM #

It’s all about the laughter!

Susan (5 Minutes for Mom)´s last post…Around The Blogosphere – Add YOUR Giveaway Link

5. icarolann October 3, 2010 at 1:13 AM #

The world needs more laughter and you, my darling, deliver. Merci beaucoup.

6. Lucretia Pruitt October 3, 2010 at 12:43 AM #

When I saw you in NY it took me all of about 2 seconds to figure out that you were ABSOLUTELY the you that you were before only kinda shorter and with wheels. :)

Love you sister. Still love that sense of humor. Still love that you can be that you with your family.

• Anissa Mayhew October 4, 2010 at 10:20 PM #

It was priceless to be with people who treated me the same as always! Love YOU!

7. Ellen October 2, 2010 at 11:36 PM #

I sometimes misplace my sense of humor, especially when stuff about Max gets me down, so I’m always grateful you’re there to provide laughs. You are basically like my coke dealer, in other words.

Ellen´s last post…Bring on the homework!

• Anissa Mayhew October 4, 2010 at 10:18 PM #

I’m holing for you any time!

8. Julie Presley October 2, 2010 at 11:18 PM #

Like. Like a lot.

9. Pgoodness October 2, 2010 at 11:15 PM #

Indeed. I too laugh at probably the wrong moments, but I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t! Glad you didn’t lose your awesome sense of humor…I had been missing you on twitter. :)