one mouthful of couch-cushion can go a long way

I have a friend that is here from Florida.

She was here during the worst of the worst.

She was here in the days of uncertainty.

She was here the first days I came home from the hospital.

She was the first person to push me over on the couch and tell me to get up.

The tone was set by her that believed I was only as weak as I chose to be.

Its been months since we last laid eyes on each other. We talked. We texted. We emailed.

But today was the first time she saw me put myself in the vehicle.

The first time she saw the movement in my leg and arm firsthand.

Today was the first time she saw a glimpse of the old me, not just the person they brought from the hospital.

When she has to pack up her kids, her laundry, her empty containers from Trader Joe’s, and has to head home, she’ll go.

And she knows that the next time we see each other, there will be changes to share as well.  She’ll know at her center, she is partially responsible for the part of me that never stops trying.

I know she’ll come knock me down the minute I do.

9 Responses to one mouthful of couch-cushion can go a long way

1. DefendUSA October 12, 2010 at 7:39 AM #

Be very glad you have a friend like that. I always think of the Disney movie “Pete’s Dragon” when it come to friends.

But me? I told my best friend to take a flying leap a couple of weeks ago. I guess I was blinded.
    24 years is a long time not to know that your best friend has judged every life, parental, marriage or other decision you have made and then, when not liking the truth being pointed out to her, lashing out with every intimate detail and turning it all into daggers to throw at me. I never knew she hated me or my life so much.
    You are sooo blessed and I am glad you know it and don’t take it for granted.

2. Susie October 8, 2010 at 10:42 PM #

“The world is round so friendship may encircle it”.

Anissa, I have two friends like that. They’re really priceless. When times are bad, they’re there. When times are the best, they’re there. Now go get tomorrow so you can impress your friend the next time she sees you…

3. Kristin October 8, 2010 at 9:52 PM #

Friends like that are one of life’s true treasures.

Kristin´s last post…Happy Happy Joy Joy

4. Heidi (@mybeadtherapy) October 8, 2010 at 8:00 PM #

Yes, Anissa, it is awesome to have such a wonderful push-you-to-be-your-best friend who is there for you through thick and thin. The reason you have such a great friend is because you are likely one of those people who IS such a friend!

Thanks for reminding us to strive to be friends like that, too. :)

5. MommyNamedApril October 8, 2010 at 7:45 PM #

we should all be so lucky to have a friend like that. :-)

MommyNamedApril´s last post…Whats Big Round and Orange All Over

6. Christy October 8, 2010 at 7:27 PM #

Not everyone has a friend like that. Sometimes it takes really bad stuff to let us see the really good stuff.

Christy´s last post…Storyland in Glen- NH – Vacation Nirvana for the Preschool Set

7. adrian October 8, 2010 at 7:25 PM #

Just stopping by to say Happy Friday! Glad you’ve got such a cool friend who will kick your ass when you need it. I think we all need that.

I have a work friend who had a TIA last week and I’ve been kicking her ass to get her to a neurologist because I’m so worried about her. She popped by my cubicle while I was watching one of your Vlogs and I mentioned that this was my friend who had had a stroke and that she had better get her butt to a better doctor ASAP (her regular doc said it was stress and to take a baby asprin & meditate – sheesh!). I hope it made an impression on her to see your video.

adrian´s last post…Big Happenings

8. kpotterb October 8, 2010 at 7:15 PM #

My sentiments exactly, Jen….that is a great friend.

9. Jennifer R. October 8, 2010 at 6:54 PM #

We should all hope to have a friend like that!