suck with a capital S

I have this whole post to tell you about the #140 conference, Detroit, the fiasco at the airport yesterday.

But, frankly, I didn’t write that much when I had two working hand.

So, we’ll go with one.

It all started when we got lost in downtown Detrot on our way to the airport.  I called to tell them we were coming and their response was ,”Drive Faster.”  We checked in, valeted the car (which if we could have checked, we would have), ran through security, flew barefoot through the airport to make it to our gate at 11:48.

Our plane departed at 12:00.

We were late, but there.

Then we noticed something.

Our plane with door shut.  The rep from Delta said, “We saw you check in, figured you wouldn’t make it. We had to sell your seat.”

They couldn’t get us on the 1:45 flight.

Don’t even look at me.

I was tweeting the events to @DeltaAssist, Brian Shelton (AN ANGEL) was on the phone with Delta helping us, Amanda was trying to not strangle the reps who wouldn’t help us, and Pete was at home coming up with a plan because all my meds were in our suitcases that WERE going to Atlanta.

Delta wanted to charge us for tranfering tickets.

Oh, it gets better!!

We do finally get on an airplane and get to Atlanta and land.

The bag with all my wheelchair parts? Missing.

Amanda’s connecting flight to Jacksonville? Huh?

Our luggage?  WHAT luggage?

We found Pete.

I bawled like a baby that’s just been slapped when someone is called “inspirational”.

After a few hours and departments and red jackets it was all straight.

Wheelchair parts.  Found in baggage claim where it’s not supposed to be.

Amanda’s flight. I don’t want to know but they got her home.

Luggage.  They found ours.

I got food, I got to hug my kids, I got to sleep in my bed.

Oh, the conference was great.

, ,

14 Responses to suck with a capital S

1. Thomas Müller October 27, 2012 at 4:21 AM #

“I called to tell them we were coming” :-D
    That’s a joke, or? Was it your first time flying?

2. Bruce October 19, 2012 at 10:17 AM #

Everything that happened here was a direct result of you being late. Leave earlier if you’re in a foreign city and don’t know where to go. And not sure why you called delta to tell then you were late. They don’t care lol.

3. Cheryl October 25, 2010 at 12:49 PM #

Sorry, Anissa, but I really fail to see how the fact you got lost and didn’t get the gate in time was Delta’s fault. Did you really honestly think they’d hold the plane for you??!! And the fact you had to pay to change your tickets….again….why should they make an exception for you? We’ve all had nightmare airport stories….I have one that bests yours by miles, honey. Try being stuck in the tiniest terminal in Logan Airport for 10 hours. Yeah, it sucks and I’m sorry you had to deal witht hat, but if you’d gotten there in time, it wouldn’t have happened….simple as that.

4. Molly October 23, 2010 at 10:14 PM #

Oh good lord. That is absurd.

5. Adventures In Babywearing October 23, 2010 at 4:02 PM #

Oh I am in tears. :(

Steph

Adventures In Babywearing´s last post…they looked up- rockets!

6. Karl October 23, 2010 at 11:38 AM #

Ugh. I was reading your Tweets during this fiasco and wanting to crotch punch someone on your behalf. It’s because of potential nightmare situations like this that I *never* put my meds in checked baggage. I always bring them on the plane with me, along with any electronics I’m taking. I just don’t trust the airlines with my luggage.

Weird, I trust them with my life, since I’m getting on their airplane. Maybe I’ll just stay home from now on.

Glad you made it home with all your bits and pieces. Eventually.

Karl´s last post…Must See Versus Meh

7. Jennifer October 23, 2010 at 9:36 AM #

The few times I’ve flown on US flights have sucked major mooseballs. Flying on foreign flights was heaven. Go figure.

8. Susie October 22, 2010 at 11:34 PM #

What an absolute nightmare! I wish you didn’t have to go through that, Anissa. I’m just so happy that you said the conference was awesome and you’re now back home with Pete and the kids. And to be in your own bed again…heaven! Now go get tomorrow (like you always do!)…

9. Sandra October 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM #

You cry too when someone is called “inspirational?” Thank goodness, I thought i was the only one.
    Ok, there was a lot of crap going on, and yet you maintained your sense of humour…well, except for the part where you cried like a baby!

Sandra´s last post…I love and appreciate all of you!

10. Opus October 22, 2010 at 7:58 PM #

Haven’t the airlines learned anything from recent events?! You’d think they’d be able to take care of a wheelchair for a few hours without losing/breaking part(s) of it. It’s not like it’s rocket science or anything. . . . . Glad you made it home safely!

11. Kristin October 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM #

Total fucknuttery. Did you know Delta stands for Don’t Even Leave The Airport?

Kristin´s last post…Welcome to Fall

12. midgetinvasion October 22, 2010 at 6:50 PM #

I watched all of this unfold on Twitter yesterday, and with each new development, my jaw would drop further open. I even had a crappy dream last night about flying on an airplane. I blame Delta.

midgetinvasion´s last post…More Randomness

13. ThePeachy1 October 22, 2010 at 6:46 PM #

So did I see you said your wheel chair was broken during the fiasco?

14. Anna Marie October 22, 2010 at 6:43 PM #

That was the most unbelievable clusterfuck yesterday. I’m so sorry you had to deal with it-it was inexcusable.