i sound like a freaking Gatorade commercial

I got the news I was anticipating and dreading.

My times at rehab for OT and Speech have come to an end.

It’s not that I won’t have a lot of work.  It’s that right now they’ve taught me all the exercises they can. They’ve showed me all the tricks it’s safe to teach me.

Soon, it’ll be up to me and my desire to see the progress.

Oh, I’ll still have Dr. Pain.

But I can’t see driving two hours for one hour of PT. I’ll have to graduate.

I’ll have to trust me and my husband to keep cracking the whip.

To find the motivation to push harder today than I did yesterday.

To let the “want” inside of me never be satisfied.

The minute is is, I’ll quit trying.

6 Responses to i sound like a freaking Gatorade commercial

1. Coal Miner's Granddaughter November 12, 2010 at 10:29 AM #

When I think about last year, and where you were, and where you are now, it’s incredible. I have no doubt that you’ll have great days, horrible days, blah days, and perfect days. And that you’ll keep pushing.

Coal Miner’s Granddaughter´s last post…Dear Mom-

2. DesignHER Momma November 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM #

yeah for getting SO very, very far. Anissa – I believe in you, and I believe that you have a drive that could move a mountain. You are not a person that will settle, that’s been proven a million times.

Love you,
    ~emily

3. mommabird2345 November 10, 2010 at 11:43 AM #

You can do it!! Just keep swimming, just keep swimming…….sorry I have a 2yo and have been watching Nemo way too many times lately. :)

4. amiee November 10, 2010 at 10:10 AM #

hi anissa, my name is amiee and i am a neuro PT that has been reading here since your CVA. i was just thinking about you this morning and then i read this. i was thinking about you because there is a book i am reading and you must read it, if you have not already. it is called The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge and i am pretty sure it is not anything you do not already believe, but it is a validation of how you are charging at your recovery. i have seen wonderful things in my years working in rehab, but i have also seen so much heartbreak. but you? i have a feeling i have not seen anything yet. the book is about the cold hard fact that the brain recovers, no if and or buts.

it also validates the type of treatment approach i used with the people i worked with when i practiced rehab. the method is called neuro-ifrah and it works. well, a lot of things work, but this really works. i wanted to give you a link to the list of instructors because even if you are done with PT for now, if there is an instructor in your area, you can always get a consult. the power of this approach (if they are doing it right) is to design tons of activities that you can take home and apply on a daily basis all around your home, life and space.
    here is the list :: http://neuro-ifrahinstructors.com/instructor-listing/
    if anyone is close, i would suggest calling them, telling them your situation and see from there. they guy that designed the approach is a total dick, but a brilliant teacher and clinician and any of his trained instructors should be awesome.

so, please please get that book. and please please keep it up. i have always marveled at you, your drive and hard hard work and ability to share it and translate a world that not many have to ever confront.

you are quite simply awesome. xo amiee

5. Dawn Tucker November 10, 2010 at 4:57 AM #

I shouldn’t think there’s any of us here that doubt YOU have the motivation. That said I know it’s very easy to sit back sometimes thinking “ok, this is my new normal.” But we know you won’t do that for long. And if you ever need a few thousand voices yelling at you to keep trying ….. well we’re all out here urging you on and cheering the little victories (and even better still the big victories!).

Love ya for the fighter you are!

6. Kristin November 10, 2010 at 12:19 AM #

Congrats on your graduation from OT and Speech! I have no doubt you and your husband will forge onward and you will make HUGE amounts of progress.

Kristin´s last post…Wheres Mario when you need a plumber