like mother, like daughter

“There’s a girl in my class that already knows how to write her name in cursive.”

A simple statement made by a six-year-old to her mommy.

It filled me with a healthy dose of self-doubt.

“Would you like to know how to write your name?” I asked because I could feel that it was what she wanted from me.

How could I not try to teach my child to write her name?

How could I let her see how hard this was?

She ran with excitement to get paper. I carefully held the pen, slowly shaped the letters. She then concentrated hard and copied what I had done.

She radiated pride when I gushed over her hard-won success.

When she was gone to bed I looked at the cursive writing again.

She was right to feel accomplished.  She did as good as her mommy.

*sigh*

23 Responses to like mother, like daughter

1. Noelle November 14, 2010 at 11:39 PM #

I think this is one of the most beautiful mother-daughter moments ever.

2. thepsychobabble November 8, 2010 at 5:37 PM #

1) You both possess cursive skills that are equal (or surpassing) my own. I’m regularly told I “write like a doctor” and that is SO not a compliment!

2) Hey, you were willing to put aside any potential embarrassment or whatever to be there for your kid. You had already won right there.

thepsychobabble´s last post…Late to the Party

3. mel November 8, 2010 at 3:23 PM #

A mother there for her daughter. To listen, to teach and to love. You are all of that.

mel´s last post…Day 03 → Something you have to forgive yourself for

4. Coal Miner's Granddaughter November 8, 2010 at 3:10 PM #

What I see here is the leaps and bounds both of you have made. And how wonderful it is that you are the one who is teaching her. Congrats, Mom!

Coal Miner’s Granddaughter´s last post…Im Famous!

5. mythoughtsonthat November 8, 2010 at 3:03 PM #

I loved this.

Peace.

mythoughtsonthat´s last post…Payback

6. Judy November 8, 2010 at 12:36 PM #

Great job…..both of you. They’re perfect! :)

7. ciara November 8, 2010 at 11:40 AM #

you both did a great job. you gave her exactly what she wanted, and you’re a great mom for that!

ciara´s last post…Dona Nobis Pacem 2010

8. Luci November 8, 2010 at 10:50 AM #

Good job both of you!

9. Sarah @ Ordinary Days November 8, 2010 at 10:39 AM #

Goosebumps. You’re such a great mom.

Sarah @ Ordinary Days´s last post…Hey! How About We

10. Jennifer June November 8, 2010 at 10:35 AM #

Her mommy should feel pretty damn accomplished herself.

Proud on your behalf and inspired by you daily.

Jennifer June´s last post…I wanted you until I wanted to be you until…

11. misty November 8, 2010 at 9:09 AM #

Your daughter came to you upset that a girl at school could write cursive, she left full of pride and happiness because you fixed it…. you taught her to write her name in cursive! That is absolutely beautiful!

12. Lisa November 8, 2010 at 6:34 AM #

You are a fighter. Who could not admire that? To think we worried you might not LIVE? You not only live, you are so ALIVE! That is a daily wonder to witness.

13. Beth November 8, 2010 at 2:06 AM #

All I could think as I read this and viewed the beautiful result picture (with a lump in my throat and a smile on my face and tears in my eyes), was how wonderful it was that her mommy was there to show her how! You fought so hard to come back and never gave up and now this is a tangible proof of how much you can and do give that would just not be the same if it wasn’t from her own mommy! I think you both wrote it absolutely perfectly — mother and daughter’s triumph and I thank you for sharing this wonderful occasion with us all!

YOU ROCK!

14. Kristin November 7, 2010 at 11:24 PM #

You BOTH did an in-freaking-credible job. Hell Anissa, I can’t write that legibly with my non-dominant hand. You are doing great and you were able to teach your daughter.

Kristin´s last post…Wheres Mario when you need a plumber

15. Diane Brogan November 7, 2010 at 10:44 PM #

This is a wonderful story. You gave Peton time, love, caring and the encouragement to accomplish this challenge. You are a wonderful mother :)

16. Liz November 7, 2010 at 10:15 PM #

That’s way better at my attempts at cursive writing!
    You are doing a fantastic job, and your Monopoly tweet made a lot of my friends smile when I shared it today :)

17. Lynn November 7, 2010 at 9:37 PM #

You are doing great! My mom hasn’t gotten that far after her stroke last year — she still has trouble recognizing her letters, much less putting them together to make words.
    I love that you carefully formed the letters and that she did the same. Way to go, both of you!

18. Sunday November 7, 2010 at 9:33 PM #

It still looks neater than me trying to write with my left hand…You are amazing!

19. Fairly Odd Mother November 7, 2010 at 9:26 PM #

Those are both gorgeous signatures, and I agree: You are the best mom ever! A child seeing their parent whiz through something only sees, “I could never do it as well as her.” Peyton can see you trying hard, concentrating and think, “My mom understands.” Those cursive words are both a triumph.

Fairly Odd Mother´s last post…Wordless Wednesday- Leaping

20. mommabird2345 November 7, 2010 at 9:10 PM #

She has the best mom ever!! :)

21. Pgoodness November 7, 2010 at 9:03 PM #

They both look absolutely perfect to me.

22. deb@simpleplate November 7, 2010 at 9:02 PM #

absolutely beautiful…as you ‘relearn’ you can too teach your children. How lucky they are to have a mom as warm, and loving and honest as you.

deb@simpleplate´s last post…What A Crock!

23. Shelley November 7, 2010 at 8:45 PM #

YOU are there to teach her. That’s what’s important to her (and all of us), not how neat or precise the writing is. How lucky she is to be just like you!

xoxo