the secret to our marriage

Every day I would wait until he came and saw me.

Hospital.  Nursing home.  Rehab hospital.

I would wait to hear his voice.

I could hang on all day while I waited for his hug.

He would bring my only reason to smile sometimes.

Maybe it was the kids.

Maybe it was a joke.

He has always been the one to encourage me when the day felt heavy.

As I have taken more and more of myself back he has pushed me harder each step.

He has been there for my moments of tears.

I turn to him when I need to celebrate.

No one can make me laugh like he does. No one ever has.

We have been through things that shatter most marriages.  Every day one of us should leave.

Peter and I have a deal whoever leaves first has to take the bills.

We’ll be together forever.

28 Responses to the secret to our marriage

1. justirish November 28, 2010 at 10:58 AM #

I hope you never get tired of hearing how much you, your words, thoughts and feelings inspire me. I know I’ve mentioned my dear sister-in-law had a stroke almost 20 years ago at age 34. Her kids were 3 and 5 at the time. She too is a woman I admire. I wish twitter and FB existed back then. We struggled to even find a support group. Although she’s not on twitter, I’ve shared your blog with her and she loves it. So thank you from her as well. Thank you for this post, for being you and for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us. Please know you are loved and thought of often. Sending you a virtual hug!

2. Susie November 27, 2010 at 12:01 AM #

Stunning! Your words leave me speechless, Anissa! Apologies for going MIA but I moved from CA to Potato Land. I just got my internet back and was going through severe withdrawals not reading your blog. Seriously, you should offer “withdrawal insurance”. Now go get tomorrow, lady! (And I hope this weekend, I can catch up on all your posts I’ve missed in the last 2 1/2 weeks.

3. Stacy November 21, 2010 at 10:41 PM #

Very sweet…

My husand’s & I deal is that whoever leaves first has to take the kids…I think we’re in it for the long haul, too.

4. mythoughtsonthat November 21, 2010 at 5:02 PM #

Oh! I loved this!

Peace.

mythoughtsonthat´s last post…Payback

5. mommabird2345 November 21, 2010 at 11:54 AM #

Love this. :)

6. ThePeachy1 November 21, 2010 at 2:19 AM #

not sure if you remember the early days, and Pete actually read an instruction manual to the TV and remote in your room. You looked at me and said either I am dead or hell has frozen over. My husband is reading instructions. It’s like watching a cave man invent fire, this is BIG… I knew alone you would be back, but at that second I knew you would be back quickly.

7. Colleen - Mommy Always Wins November 20, 2010 at 9:10 PM #

Very sweet. :)

Colleen – Mommy Always Wins´s last post…30 days of truth- day 03 – Something you have to forgive yourself for

8. Mandi Bone November 20, 2010 at 8:11 PM #

I saw the love you two have for each other in person at BlogHer—.I didn’t mean for that to sound that pervy. You are a great couple together.

9. alisha November 20, 2010 at 6:56 PM #

this is the first post i’ve read of yours. i will be reading many more. my partner & i were in a car accident 1yr,2mon&22days ago & she had a spinal cord injury as a result. we’re going through the 336th rough patch since then. your words inspired me. in between the lines i hear the realness. the deep emotion almost too big for the word love. the humor…and the pain. today especially i really really needed to read this. so thank you. i look forward to getting to know you. sidenote: i’m so not always this sappy. promise.

10. Wendy November 20, 2010 at 6:38 PM #

That’s some plan. Love it.
    There’s nothing like having a wonderful partner in life. It sounds like you have the perfect one….

Wendy´s last post…Nana

11. karla porter November 20, 2010 at 6:01 PM #

beautiful – love this. You are both so blessed to have each other. Always.

karla porter´s last post…Fear and Loathing at the Dentist

12. Robin ~ PENSIEVE November 20, 2010 at 5:51 PM #

Blesses…mah…heart. Simple, sweet and inspiring.

Robin ~ PENSIEVE´s last post…Two for one and one for YOU!

13. Pamela November 19, 2010 at 8:50 PM #

That is amazing! You’re both very lucky to have each other.

Pamela´s last post…Say it Aint Joe!

14. Scary Mommy November 19, 2010 at 8:35 PM #

I love this post so much. You two amaze me.

15. Dawn Tucker November 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM #

You two are perfect together.
    Such a lovely post it leaves a warm, fuzzy feeling inside!

16. Stacey November 19, 2010 at 3:39 PM #

Awesome! Love it.

17. The Mayor November 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM #

Very sweet.

The Mayor´s last post…When I Least Expect It

18. VDog November 19, 2010 at 10:51 AM #

So perfectly Mayhew. Love it!!

19. Marinka November 19, 2010 at 10:47 AM #

love this. Love you.

20. Melisa November 19, 2010 at 7:37 AM #

You’re both so lucky to have each other. Beautiful post!

Melisa´s last post…The One In Which I Put All The Cards On The Table

21. Kristin November 18, 2010 at 11:52 PM #

You know, I think I love you all. Better insurance than a prenup.

Kristin´s last post…Hes settled in and taken over

22. Ashley Hast November 18, 2010 at 11:22 PM #

I love it. :) In our 17 years of togetherness (together since I was 15, married 11 years) the sweetest, most heartfelt and loving (only) note I ever got was attached with a gift, and said “Even if I was a Mormon, you’d still be my favorite wife.” May not be everyone’s perfect verse, but in my life, it is. I’m glad you guys have each other.

Ashley Hast´s last post…Just like her mudder

23. Melinda November 18, 2010 at 10:51 PM #

That, my friend, is beautiful.

*huggles and snuggles*

24. BetteJo November 18, 2010 at 10:28 PM #

I’m a lurker too, that sounds so creepy. The first I read of you was when your husband started blogging your progress after your stroke. I was impressed with the depth of feeling and the incredible strength he exhibited in caring for the kids, house, working his job, and putting every last bit of energy into being there for you. I came by (here) the other day to see how you were doing and as I get to know you (virtually of course), I am understanding his devotion. I promise you don’t inspire me, but maybe your marriage does. :) Is jealousy appropriate? Because I think I am.

25. Jodi November 18, 2010 at 10:15 PM #

I have lurked forever – but let me tell you – this one brought tears to my eyes as many of your posts have – but you are a GREAT and STRONG woman and your husband is the SAME. You two amaze me every single day and I have SO much less to get through than you both do – you go girl/boy BOTH of you!

26. Jennifer R. November 18, 2010 at 8:42 PM #

“…whoever leaves first has to take the bills.”

My mom and dad used to say whoever leaves first has to take the kids. :)

27. Debra @ A Frugal Friend November 18, 2010 at 8:28 PM #

What a blessing to have each other! Such a sweet post :-)

Debra @ A Frugal Friend´s last post…Weekend Coupon Update for Sunday- November 21st

28. domestic extraordinaire November 18, 2010 at 8:25 PM #

You guys are so awesome together.

You will be together forever.

((Hugs))

domestic extraordinaire´s last post…I think they are up to something