no answers yet

He’s sleeping this morning.

The pain in his head woke him up and he spent last night in the ER.

Everything came back normal and clean.

His mama in the wheelchair wishes they had an answer.

I try to convince myself that it’s nothing.

But it’s never nothing for us.

My sweet husband told me to get some sleep last night.

As if.

I didn’t even try until my boy was home.

The pain gone.

His head fine.

Until it isn’t the next time.

23 Responses to no answers yet

1. Paperclippe April 1, 2011 at 9:46 AM #

Wow, hey, talk about tardy to the party.

I’ve gotten migraines since I was about 11 or 12, and during my final teenage years they were so bad they caused me to drop out of college (I had no health insurance, which didn’t help, though the prescriptions I’d tried in the past had done nothing for me anyway).

They. Are. A. Bitch. I still get them about 4 times a month, and usually I can cope with about 3 of those and then there’s 1 that’ll have me curled up on the couch and sobbing for a day straight, if I even have the energy left for that. I’ve had brain scans and eye tests and just about everything you can have without having your skull split open to poke around inside, and everything has always come back totally normal. Let me say it again: they. Are. A. Bitch.

And at the same time (and having read all of your more recent posts I’m assuming that is is) I hope that that’s all it is. They suck, and they might continue to suck, and especially in a kid, they suck even harder. But I hope that’s all it is.

2. Heather December 10, 2010 at 7:29 PM #

My migraines didn’t start coming until I was a teenager, though I remember having severe pain before then that were attributed to sinus infections (now I really wonder.)

If it makes you feel better, I’ve been told by a neurologist that migraines cycle — so that one single migraine will peak and valley. It will seem like multiple headaches when it’s really all one long episode.

Start tracking them now if you aren’t already. I have a 5th grade (male) student who seems to get these headaches for a couple of days every month, poor guy. We’ll see if his mom takes him to the doctor.

3. jezebel December 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM #

Anissa -

If they come in cycles (i.e., specific times of year, usually autumn or winter, and last for several weeks, then disappear till next cycle), last for 20-40 minutes, and/or involve specific, searing, localized pain — often in a lobe over the right eye — look into having tested for cluster headaches.

To call those malicious beasts headaches is a joke. Seriously. My husband suffers from them and they are a nightmare all unto themselves. I won’t bother recounting it here — a little quick research will fill you in — but it’s a very rare and not well known condition. It can take a long time to get to a doctor that can diagnose.

Anyway, two cents from a long time lurker, and well wisher to you and yours. I very much hope clusters aren’t the answer, but thought you might want to be aware of the condition so you can ask the right questions.

Best wishes to you all.

4. Kristin December 6, 2010 at 1:38 AM #

Migraines are an absolute BITCH in kids. Sadly, my middle son seems to have inherited them from me. Saying a prayer that his prove to be relatively easy to manage.

Kristin´s last post…Return to the land of the living

5. Anissa Mayhew December 4, 2010 at 11:51 PM #

*sigh* It did happen again, but at least I got a nap!

6. Haley W. December 4, 2010 at 10:31 AM #

Poor guy! I know how awful migraines can be. Get him on a good preventative prescription, and don’t let him have any caffeine.

I wouldn’t wish migraines on anybody but I’m praying that’s all this was!

Haley W.´s last post…Roasted Pepper and Garlic Tomato Pasta Sauce

• Anissa Mayhew December 4, 2010 at 11:42 PM #

I’m making sure he has NO caffeine and hoping nothing is really wrong.

7. ChristiS December 3, 2010 at 3:31 PM #

Praying for all of you!

ChristiS´s last post…H is for Happy!

• Anissa Mayhew December 4, 2010 at 11:43 PM #

Another headache today. *sigh* Keep praying!

8. Jess December 3, 2010 at 1:12 PM #

I have had migraines since I was 10. Painful and horrible. I’m 28 and on mess now.

Be well little man. Headaches of any kind suck.

• Anissa Mayhew December 4, 2010 at 11:44 PM #

Is it wrong that I hope that headaches are what it is?

9. Wanda December 3, 2010 at 12:07 PM #

I started getting migraines at 13 and my youngest (16 now) has been getting them since he was 7. His always hit in the evening or middle of the night. They are so painful and as a Mom you wish you could endure it for them. Hope your son is okay Anissa and that this was a once in a lifetime thing. Take care.

Wanda´s last post…Pushing Myself

• Anissa Mayhew December 4, 2010 at 11:46 PM #

Is your youngest still dealing with the headaches and pain?

10. CJ December 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM #

I got my first and only migraine when I was around his age, so that was my first thought. It was awful and scary, but it never happened again. If he came back clean, that’s probably all it was.

• Anissa Mayhew December 4, 2010 at 11:47 PM #

I hope so, even though it repeats and hasn’t gone away.

11. lceel December 3, 2010 at 10:57 AM #

I will say a prayer. For you. For him.

lceel´s last post…Haiku Friday – The Winter Is Come

• Anissa Mayhew December 4, 2010 at 11:48 PM #

We both need it. He is definitely dealing better than I am.

12. Lorna December 3, 2010 at 10:55 AM #

I keep forgetting how comment luv wants my website address formatted. Grr.

Lorna´s last post…Everyone Loves Free Stuff

13. Lorna December 3, 2010 at 10:47 AM #

I hope it really is nothing. I too have logged too many ER hours, because of the nothings that aren’t nothing. Hugs.

• Anissa Mayhew December 4, 2010 at 11:49 PM #

I hope this comment meant nothing.

14. Amy December 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM #

I’ve gotten migraines since I was 5… Could that be it? They’re a pain in the ass, but at least they’re treatable.

Hope it’s nothing. Hang in there!

Amy´s last post…Outing

• Anissa Mayhew December 4, 2010 at 11:50 PM #

We are going to take him to a peds neuro but I hope migraines are it.

15. Alaina Frederick December 3, 2010 at 10:32 AM #

I do hope that everything is okay – praying it does not happen again and you are able to get some rest today.

Alaina Frederick´s last post…Are Your Kids Human Body Detectives