she’s done a lot in seven years

You were the last we were going to have.

Every soft breath and quiet cry was held in a little firmer grasp.

We smiled with the newness you brought.

We marveled at your ability to make us dream deeper.

We were shocked with the thought you’d ever be taken away.

Impossible.

Unfathomable.

Unstoppable.

Unforgettable.

The one that set the example.

If she can be strong, how can we be anything less?

Last Photo by Mishelle Lane Photography

Happy 7th Birthday.

Hold my hand, little girl, let’s see what tomorrow has in store.

33 Responses to she’s done a lot in seven years

1. Dora December 10, 2010 at 10:53 AM #

Trying to catch up on my blog reading. Trying not to cry at my desk at work.

Happy belated 7th birthday, Peyton! You are a bright, shining light!

Dora´s last post…How Do You Do It

2. Susie December 9, 2010 at 3:57 PM #

Well, I’m late to the party! Happy (late) Birthday, Peyton! Seven (7) is such an awesome age!

I love the pictures you chose, Anissa. Peyton is such a beautiful young lady. But it’s what’s inside her heart that makes her stunning. Such courage, such grit and yes, such grace. (Just like her momma!)

The strength of your writing is such a gift to me as I adore writing too. Strongest line of this post? : “If she can be strong, how can we be anything less?” Wow, just wow! And you, Anissa, are following in your daughter’s footsteps–for grace and grit! *Chuckle* But under NO circumstances, are YOU an i-n-s-p-i-r-a-t-i-o-n! (I tried to whisper that word very quietly). Now go get tomorrow, lady!

3. janice December 7, 2010 at 10:46 AM #

What beautiful photos, and what a lovely tribute to your inspiring daughter! There are many times when we need our kids more than they need us, and this is clearly a big one of those. Happy birthday!

4. Susannah December 6, 2010 at 8:56 PM #

So filled with joy that you get to celebrate Peyton’s seventh birthday!
    May there be many more to come!

Susannah´s last post…Even a Workhorse Gets a Break

5. Faiqa December 6, 2010 at 8:12 PM #

Happy birthday, dear sweet little girl… it’s so strange to love someone who you’ve never even touched so much. You will always be so special to me for so many reasons.

6. Jeanette Verster December 6, 2010 at 4:11 PM #

Happy birthday to your beautiful child!

Jeanette Verster´s last post…328-365 – Sick little nunu

7. Molly December 6, 2010 at 11:50 AM #

Happy birthday sweet girl! You have had an amazing life already, we look forward to seeing what is next.

Molly´s last post…A way in which I am unlike myself

8. Wendy December 6, 2010 at 11:41 AM #

Happy Birthday Peyton!! You are a beautiful little lady.

9. Fairly Odd Mother December 6, 2010 at 11:02 AM #

Breathtaking Anissa! She is gorgeous and has a smile to light up any day. Happy Birthday Peyton!

10. Kris Dowler December 6, 2010 at 9:23 AM #

Happy Birthday to an amazing girl with an amazing family!

11. Melisa December 6, 2010 at 7:44 AM #

Happy Birthday Peyton!!!

Melisa´s last post…The Gift Of Self

12. Adventures In Babywearing December 6, 2010 at 7:04 AM #

Wow. And yes what Christine said. Look what you made, Mama. :)

Steph

Adventures In Babywearing´s last post…Fortress

• Ligia November 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM #

I love to watch you on QVC espically when doing Diamonique. You are treuly my fav!! I will be watching for the cross and your book. Thank you for telling us about your website. Have a great Thanksgiving. God Bless and good health to you and your family.

13. Kristin December 6, 2010 at 1:37 AM #

Happy Birthday beautiful girl! Peyton, both you and your mom are incredible people.

Kristin´s last post…Return to the land of the living

14. Robbie December 5, 2010 at 9:42 PM #

Beautiful! What a precious gift.

15. Boston Mamas? December 5, 2010 at 9:09 PM #

These pictures? Your family’s spirit? AMAZING.

Boston Mamas?´s last post…Shellac for the Season

16. Deb Young December 5, 2010 at 8:35 PM #

Forgot to mention… Love the shirt!

17. Deb December 5, 2010 at 8:33 PM #

Happy birthday gorgeous girl! What a fighter you are! I think you must take after your Mommy!

18. Dawn Tucker December 5, 2010 at 7:46 PM #

Oh, Peyton – HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEETHEART!! Can you really be seven already? You look beautiful and so grown up these days.

Anissa, you chose some beautiful photos. I really love the one with the pen down both her legs. I remember it the first time round and can’t believe how far she’s come since then. I just wish you lived a bit closer so I could give both you and her a birthday hug. Then again she’d probably just be like “who IS this strange woman”!!

My son was out celebrating turning 18 today (that’s the big one in England). So frighteningly I’ve only got one child left – the other two are both officially adults now. It only seemed like I turned round and suddenly they’re all grown up. So enjoy yours while they’re young. (I know you do!).

19. ANDREA December 5, 2010 at 7:33 PM #

What a beautiful post! Tears are in my eyes.

ANDREA´s last post…Cousins

20. Kristi Dorson December 5, 2010 at 7:31 PM #

Aw, happy birthday Peyton! Such a beautiful girl. And what a beautiful post. :)

Kristi Dorson´s last post…Walgreens- The Results

21. domestic extraordinaire December 5, 2010 at 7:08 PM #

Tell Miss Peyton that Miss Heather wishes her a very happy birthday. And also tell her that she gives the best hugs!

domestic extraordinaire´s last post…Pineapples arent just a fruit

22. tricia mumby December 5, 2010 at 7:08 PM #

awe – your words&pics say SO much. You make quite a team. Happy Birthday!

23. ThePeachy1 December 5, 2010 at 7:03 PM #

:-) bday 2 u, :-) bday 2 u, :-) bday dear Peyton, :-) bday 2 u…. beautiful post.

24. Kristie McNealy December 5, 2010 at 7:01 PM #

What a sweet post. She really has done a lot Happy birthday to Peyton.

Kristie McNealy´s last post…A Disney Holiday Celebration on Ice

25. Desera December 5, 2010 at 6:58 PM #

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PEYTON!!!! I love, love, love this post! The pictures are gorgeous and she is such an inspiration to me! When I thought I was having a rough time it was your blog that I went to and saw what strength really is and I thank you for that! The Mayhews are a force to be reckoned with! ♥

26. Neeroc December 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM #

So amazing. So beautiful. Happy Birthday Peyton.

Neeroc´s last post…Sens win again…

27. MommyBrain December 5, 2010 at 3:25 PM #

Happy Birthday Peyton! I love this post!!! Just beautiful!!

MommyBrain´s last post…Wisk Tackles an Oil Stain

28. mommabird2345 December 5, 2010 at 2:27 PM #

Happy Birthday to your sweet Peyton!! May you all have a wonderful day. :)

29. leslie December 5, 2010 at 1:30 PM #

Happy Birthday, beautiful Peyton!! May your 7th birthday be the best yet!

Anissa, this phrase got me: “If she can be strong, how can we be anything less?” I have been trying like hell to claw my way out of the ball of self-pity I have wrapped myself in for the last few days, but your subtle reminder of what Peyton went through is doing more to fix that than anything I could ever do. Talk about a psychic slap upside the head! <3

30. TripleZmom December 5, 2010 at 12:38 PM #

That made me tear up.

Beautiful.

TripleZmom´s last post…The One Where I Tell You About Peeing

31. Molly December 5, 2010 at 12:33 PM #

Happy Birthday Peyton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention she’s done a lot in seven years -- Topsy.com - December 5, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Anissa Mayhew, Moms Who Blog. Moms Who Blog said: she’s done a lot in seven years http://dlvr.it/9n03T [...]