where people in wheelchairs are told, “SUCKIT”

It’s not the easiest thing being in a wheelchair but I try not to complain because it’s better than the alternative.

Then I go into a place that doesn’t just NOT accommodate handicap people, it seems to be totally unaware of how crappy their setup truly is.

Welcome to Mattress Firm

To make sure you get what you see, the aisles are wide enough for a shopper to check out the mattresses. They’re also wide enough that a shopper in a wheelchair cannot.

They could have had the most wonderful bed made from unicorn eyelashes and butterfly down but I wouldn’t know.

I couldn’t reach them.

We left.

They suck.

Unfortunately, legally.

ADA minimum requirements are that they have access to the store itself and the bathroom.

So all I can do is write my letter complaining about the people Mattress Firm isn’t accommodating.

And take my business somewhere else.

, ,

77 Responses to where people in wheelchairs are told, “SUCKIT”

1. I love Mattress Firm : ) May 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM #

I am sorry you had a bad experience. I am a store manager at Mattress Firm. Unfortunately the stores can’t all be set up to allow for wheelchair access in between every bed. Some of the Mattress Firms stores are bigger than others, so they are set up differently. The large expense to have all giant size stores with that much space between every bed would then have to be passed onto the consumer. We pride ourselves on having great prices and service.

If you had asked for assistance, I am sure you would have been very pleased with the service. I personally go the extra mile by moving beds so anyone in a wheelchair or with mobility issues can access them and also assist with helping elderly and disabled people in and out of beds. I have also carried many mattresses across the store to place them on another boxspring near the front door to make it easy for them. I do whatever it takes to accomodate our guests. Mattress Firm prides itself on customer service and I am very proud to work here.

2. Uh duh April 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM #

I’m sick of people in wheelchairs, crapping on how people not see the real person but only the chair. The only people that give a crap is YOU! Get over yourselves already. I have a close loved one in a chair, since she was a toddler, she’s 34 now and she’s still crapping on about it. Guess what love? We don’t even notice your in a fucking chair. Most of them whinge about money. I donated money to a friend of my brothers who is also in chair because she was whinging about not having the proper chair to play her chosen sport. Next minute she’s traveling to Greece and Turkey and buying iPads and iPhones as well as a new car and I can’t even afford a new pair of shoes. Another I know booked into go horse riding, didn’t tell them she was in a chair weighs 150kg, then bitches because they couldnt accommodate her to ride. Last time I heard you needed leg muscles to stay on a horse?!? Anyway! And guess what, even some e who isn’t disabled has trouble fitting through isles in supermarkets and department stores. Half the time I walk out of shops because I can’t navigate around the narrow isles. Yes you need more ramps, no, people shouldnt park in your spaces, but the rest is crap. Get over it and stop being a bunch of pity bags.

3. Connie Dossin August 28, 2011 at 12:28 AM #

Anissa- can you delete my inappropriate comments from this page. I need to do a better job of censoring myself. I googled myself, since others might, and I found the comment … and my bad language!! please delete me if you have a chance. I will try to remember that these are out there forever…..did make me mad, though, when the lady acted as if you were trying to get free stuff. Very rude.

4. Lorrin Wagner January 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM #

Thank you for bringing light to a major issue in most areas. While there are laws many of them need adjusting and correcting to actually affect the people they are supposed to protect and help.

5. homemom3 January 20, 2011 at 8:55 AM #

Sorry you had such a bad experience Anissa. I’ve seen many of your blog posts and read all about you through the months. You are such a fighter and a brave woman. I must say I am sad to hear anyone has to go through this. What did they have to say when you told them the aisles were too small for your chair? Were you able to find another bed/mattress somewhere else? I think I’d at least write the company and let them know your frustrations. Hope you find a mattress to your liking soon. :)

homemom3´s last post…Wordless Wednesday- Working Out

6. Suzy January 19, 2011 at 3:18 AM #

I’ve had 3 operations over the last 6 years and in each case I was either in a wheelchair, on a walker or crutches for months at a time. I hated every minute of it but hated even more all the places that I had to navigate on my own. For a few months I was in Florida, at my Dad’s condo. What I learned about downtown St. Petersburg is that they accommodate all handicapped people with easy ways to enter buildings and cross streets. I loved that town because of it.

Back in LA I would fume when I had to pull open a heavy bank door that had a handicapped sign but no means to open it. I complained so many times to my Wells Fargo branch that when they saw me coming they ran to help me just to shut me up. WELLS FARGO MAKES 6 BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR PROFIT. I guess handicap signs are cheaper than doors.

I canNOT imagine what you have to go through, or Tanis with her son, on a daily basis. Having been there only a few months at a time and experiencing the frustration of it, I have enormous empathy for anyone in your situation.

Fuck Lisa and the two healthy legs she rode in on.

Suzy´s last post…LA Sign Of The Times 70

7. Wendy January 18, 2011 at 5:05 PM #

Wait, I’m so confused… couldn’t you have, like, done a wheelie in your wheelchair, and then, like, catapulted yourself onto a mattress? And then worked up enough momentum with your good side to like, bounce from one mattress to another, until you found one that you liked? And then, once through the store, you couldn’t have done the same to get back to your wheelchair that you’re probably just using to like, gain attention or something? I mean, really, that mattress store was actually trying to do you a FAVOR. It’s like a big free bouncy house! Those places are expensive when you have to pay for them, you know…

OMG… that just gave me the BEST idea!!! I. Is. Genius. You can thank me at anytime… When is Peyton’s birthday? I’m thinking you invite her entire class to the mattress store for a birthday party! They can all get in socks and jump on the beds! You can have pizza delivered! Have cake and fruit punch! The looks on the mattress store people’s faces would be priceless…

8. jessica January 18, 2011 at 11:53 AM #

Hey Anissa;

I didn’t know that all I had to do was complain and I could get an Ipad, did you? Shit, had I known, I’d have started bitching and moaning about how Prada doesn’t like me and how Gucci and their sunglasses have it out for me. Who knew it was that fucking easy to get anything you wanted by just “complaining”. In fact, as soon as I’m done typing this comment I’m off to write a post about how apple screwed me over in their store because they wouldn’t let me use the employee restroom WHILE SOMEONE WAS IN IT, no less.

I am astonished on a daily basis at the things that ignorant, small minded, angry, bitter, get a fucking hobby, type people will say to just get attention. Really, just astonished.

For the record: I think you are amazing as is Peter and the kids. I admire your strength, your humor, your honesty and your grace.

lots of love

jessica´s last post…Behind the Scenes At the Golden Globes-Very Behind

9. C January 17, 2011 at 11:06 PM #

Oh, but Anissa, as someone who has been reading your blog quietly for a very long time…I have to say that it’s ridiculous of you to expect to be treated fairly. And to post it on the Internets! WHAT if you do IRREPARABLE damage to a corporation and their ability to market their adherence to laws, regulations and general human standards….

… in case that the sarcasm wasn’t apparent….that^^^ was full of it.

You are well within your rights to complain and to broadcast it about on the internet. Internet is the marketing wave of the future and if businesses can’t accept that, they shouldn’t be in business. It’s not your fault you’re so lovable and popular that there might actually be a few (read: a BUNCH!) of people who will read it and respond.

That’s all.

10. Connie Dossin January 17, 2011 at 8:41 PM #

And since my last comment is probably going to be inappropriate and flagged, let me make another. I am mattress shopping, and I don’t need- thank God- any “special” accommodations, but reading about Anissa’s issues makes me really think about where I shop, so thanks for that, Anissa. Y

11. Suebob January 17, 2011 at 6:06 PM #

Because it is Martin Luther King day I had been thinking of people who try to create positive change. You’d think they would be held up and praised, but often they are reviled, criticized, even killed. Jesus, Joan of Arc, Abraham Lincoln, John Kennedy, Martin…the list goes on and on. And so it happens here, too, in a small way, but still part of the bigger pattern. You try to bring attention to a problem that affects many people and families, and someone stops by to say you are acting out of self-interest. It’s all too typical.

Suebob´s last post…Brave Old Dogs

12. Amy January 17, 2011 at 5:29 PM #

I’m a physical therapist and while I was in graduate school, we had a long assignment studying the American Disabilities Act. Part of our project was to spend time in a wheelchair in public places and take notes of what was and was not accessible, according to law as well as in practicality. Two very different things. I don’t begrudge you any of your grievances. I’m glad you can be honest and transparent about your needs. Sorry it’s bringing out the haters. They should roll a mile in your wheels first.

13. Amber January 17, 2011 at 5:00 PM #

Anissa,

I can’t imagine the amount of courage it takes to have made all the steps you have in the last year-and-a-half. I have been reading – quietly – since Peyton was sick and have been awed and inspired by you and your beautiful family.

I hope you continue to bring illumination to the rest of the world for what it’s like living in a wheelchair. In spite of the trolls that have always been – and will always be – lurking around, waiting to spew their poison.

God bless you all.

-Amber D.

Amber´s last post…The First Ultrasound

14. Kat January 17, 2011 at 4:59 PM #

Wow. 2 emotions come to mind.
    Frustration – for Anissa and crew. I too, have lurked and have been amazed at her will, her determination. So not being able to access a store (or anything) strikes me as a huge blow to her.
    Anger – that people think she’s using her condition for “free/donated stuff”. Do you have a brain? I challenge you to function only with one hand, for an hour. And for shits and giggles, use your non-dominant hand for the hour. Now imagine it being HALF of your body.
    Now, for those of you that like to spew shit without thought – I have 2 more challenges for you.
    1. Pull your heads out of your collective asses.
    B. Learn empathy.
    Oh – and leave Anissa and her family alone. Go post somewhere else, you future Darwin Award winners!

15. Overflowing Brain January 17, 2011 at 4:50 PM #

I have sort of an unappreciated opinion, I suspect, but please hear me out and understand that there’s a difference between dissent and rudeness. I support the Mayhews and I have every step of the way, I’m not here to be unkind.

I think that you guys are absolutely right, that store needs to rearrange it’s layout. It’s not wheelchair accessible and I don’t think that’s okay.

But I cringe when I see a title like this. That store didn’t tell you to suck it. I’m not trying to say that you shouldn’t be upset because I understand why you are, but that maybe you should churn that frustration into action. Instead of name calling here, call the manager of the store and have a conversation about what needs to change. Instead of inciting anger, incite diplomacy. Get others to take up your case, but not with anger, with the spirit of change in mind. In the spirit of making this better for others who are in wheelchairs. There is good that can be done here, and I just think it would be great if we could use some of this outrage towards something good.

It’s not wrong of you to want them to change their layout, but perhaps giving them the benefit of the doubt and a chance to make that change is a better use of this energy.

Overflowing Brain´s last post…Sunday Stream of Consciousness

• Overflowing Brain January 17, 2011 at 4:50 PM #

Ugh. I swear I know how to use apostrophes.

Overflowing Brain´s last post…Sunday Stream of Consciousness

• Anissa Mayhew January 17, 2011 at 7:13 PM #

Katie,

I always appreciate the other side and I hope that each person makes choices based on knowing all sides. Thank you for showing people there’s a way to disagree with a point but not be full of hate.

xoxoxo
      A

ps…I’ve heard of your history with punctuation…..I beg to differ!! hehehe

16. Kelly January 17, 2011 at 4:44 PM #

My uncle was blind. My grandmother is confined to a wheelchair. Going out anywhere with them was and is a horrible struggle. Very few stores are set up so you have a truly clear aisle down which to walk, especially at the mall. We went to Macys once at Christmas and it was a disaster. They set up aisles, and then place displays right in the middle of them.

And about the taking thing: If people choose to help you out, that is their choice. Other people are just jealous. No one is required to send you anything, so no one should be complaining. And some of those other blogs that a hater listed do get free stuff from people all the time.

Bottom line is that stores need to be set up better for the handicapped, and people who are bitter and jealous need to find something else to do.

17. @SarahInMI January 17, 2011 at 4:15 PM #

A few years ago I had foot surgery around the holidays and was in a wheel chair. I tried to go to a chain toy store locatoin in the mall and couldn’t navigate the closely spaced aisles littered with toys.

It was horrible and the store was unresponsive to my verbally asking them about it, as they were to the letter I sentthem

NEVER shopped there again.

18. Kim January 17, 2011 at 3:57 PM #

Knowing Anissa before and after her stroke, she has never asked for anything. And after traveling with her, I can say firsthand how difficult it is in certain situations for her to have proper accessibility. And believe me, people don’t line up to help either. Chivalry and manners are nearly as dead as the brains and hearts of the trolls that are here stirring crap.

Hang in there Anissa. Xoxo

19. Blondefabulous January 17, 2011 at 3:55 PM #

Ugh! That store just makes me itch looking at it! Mattress stores in general make me itch just thinking of the unwashed masses who may have lain on those mattresses before me(and I usually DON’T)!! All those places look like fire traps waiting to happen and if I worry about getting around there as an able bodied person, someone in a wheelchair is certainly going to get nowhere fast!! Shame on them, in this economy for being ignorant about disabled consumer’s needs.

Blondefabulous´s last post…Rainforest

20. pam January 17, 2011 at 11:54 AM #

And all we can do is write our letters of complaint on your behalf and take our business elsewhere too!

pam´s last post…Happy New Year

21. Colleen January 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM #

I can’t stand stores like that to WALK around much less navigate in a wheelchair. These people are just bad business people and it makes you wonder what other decisions they get an F on. I have been to plenty of mattress stores that accommodate a wheelchair so it CAN be done. Shame on Mattress Firm (but what can you expect with a lame name like that). By the way, you are lookin’ GOOD Annissa. It’s been a while since I saw a current pic and you have made sooooooo much progress, keep it up woman (it’s the coffee, I think)!

22. Georgette January 17, 2011 at 10:01 AM #

Oh, they CAN’T be wheelchair accessible. Sorry. They need the room to cram more matresses into the show room so people can lay down and get dirty skin flakes on the material.

Georgette´s last post…This story involves poop and Girls Gone Wild

23. Becki January 17, 2011 at 9:58 AM #

I have read your blog for a while now and always find inspiration from your words. To me, the fact that you are able to write these words are awe inspiring!

Now, to the nasties that felt the need to say negative things…if you read this blog for getting a good laugh and seeing the world a little differently than you are used to, keep reading. If you read this blog because you want to rant at a wheelchair bound person for actually telling her story and occassionally receiving help and free things…go away. You sound childish and not very smart. Anissa is twice the woman you want to be.

24. Lisa January 17, 2011 at 9:46 AM #

I always thought the entire business had to be accessible! I can imagine your frustration! It would be interesting, and probably helpful for other people in your area with mobility issues, to compile a list of accessible businesses in your metropolitan area. Those who make an effort are worth a shout out, and those who don’t can lose out.

25. Pam (writewrds) January 17, 2011 at 9:44 AM #

Hi Anissa

Like your kids, I grew up with a mom in a wheelchair. So many frustrations and accessibility challenges! There’s a lot retailers, businesses, planners, builders and decision makers can do to make our communities more accessible — and better — for everybody. It’s starts with people speaking up and raising awareness. Way to go!

26. Laura January 17, 2011 at 9:06 AM #

I find it appaling that store owners can be so clueless about their clients- who are trying to spend money at their establishment. Being in a wheelchair doesn’t make you any less of a willing patron. It makes you human, and last time I checked most business owners are human too. Personally, I think owners/management etc. should try to shop in their stores in a chair before opening, pr any time really, to see what a P.I.T.A. shopping there would be. In this economy I’d think that they’d like to get all the business they can.

And Lisa, roll a mile in someone else’s chair before you start spouting hateful bullshit.

Laura´s last post…I’m having a serious pity party

27. Kristin January 17, 2011 at 2:43 AM #

Wanna hand out the address so we can all complain too?

Kristin´s last post…House of Plague Take 2

28. Jodi January 17, 2011 at 12:54 AM #

Anissa I have been a lurker since before your stroke and have ached for you silently and for your family. I do not have a blog but I follow quite a bit of you women/girls and you always give me a laugh – you amaze me how you can still find humor in your day to day situations. I care for my mother who is in a wheelchair – I feel your pain – there are people who are incredibly nice and then there are people who are incredibly insensitive to the issues that people in wheelchairs face. Let me tell you – for the most part the people in wheel chairs ROCK only because they have the time and patience to get through the obstacles that the rest of us think nothing about. Hey and the lady and I guess I’ll deign to call her that like Peter – she can SUCK IT too!

J

29. Krista January 17, 2011 at 12:45 AM #

I’m not in a wheelchair and I strongly dislike stores that aren’t laid out nice enough to be able to walk comfortably. If you have too much inventory for the store you either need to have a sale or store some of it elsewhere.

30. Lisa January 17, 2011 at 12:17 AM #

My point being they did NOT tell you to suck it. They simply have a small store that’s not accommodating. I’m sure they’re not the only store in town. And YES, it sucks to have a mobility problem. I get that. But you are not so immobile that you could not have hobbled around the store had it been the only store you wanted to shop in.

That’s what I’m sick of.

• ciara January 17, 2011 at 12:38 AM #

you know what i’m sick of? douche mongers like you. you do not know anissa, her struggles, or her life..and until you do, i don’t think you should come here with all your crap talk. tons of bloggers have integrity so don’t go comparing them all to one you think doesn’t. stop getting pissy cos you think everyone is getting free handouts and you aren’t. get a life.

ciara´s last post…Roadtrip- Vegas to Burbank-Part 1

• Amanda January 17, 2011 at 2:47 AM #

yes exactly. I’m glad someone else is seeing this. Complain about not being able to hold a camera, someone sends you a camera holder. Complain about Apple, get an iPad. Complain about not being able to afford a washer/dryer, get a free set. Complain complain complain, get something free. It’s a pretty obvious cycle that everyone seems to be looking past.

Wasn’t your dilemma washer/dryer OR mattress? When are you going to be ashamed of how much you are taking from people? The world doesn’t owe you the way you act like it does.

Where is the part of your blog post where you say “so we spoke to the manager and gave them a chance to fix the problem.” Oh, I know, that part didn’t happen because you and your greedy husband just said, “we’ll blog about it and the company will give us the free mattress!”

Pathetic.

• PaulC January 17, 2011 at 10:12 PM #

Amanda,

Amongst all the people who’ve posted here, I probably know Pete the longest. I lose Pete-seniority to Anissa, blood relatives, his buddy that he sat next to in Kindergarten, but that’s about it. I remember him doing a little victory dance when he announced Anissa was pregnant with Rachel. I remember how nervous he was about buying his first house. I remember Nathaniel when he was short. I remember Pete when he was agonizing over taking the job in Georgia, and I certainly remember the conversations we had about how he felt living away from his family for a year.

Have you ever actually met him? Ever have a conversation with his brother? His mother? Did they attend your wedding? Heck, have you ever hugged him? Had a conversation about all the minutiae of daily life, the upcoming layoff, or if Peyton will ever be able to have children after all the crap they pumped into her to beat the cancer? I have. I’ll bet you haven’t.

Greedy is the last word I would use to describe him.

Your characterization of him from afar is dead wrong. The peephole by which you’re observing him, filtered by the lens of your own experiences and prejudices has left you with a most imperfect view. I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself as they’re only serving to hurt good people.

• Amy January 18, 2011 at 12:47 AM #

Ashamed? I have a feeling you have no idea what being ashamed is, if you could write this.
        YOU should be ashamed.

• Her Bad Mother January 17, 2011 at 9:08 AM #

Right, because I *wanted* an airline to destroy my dying and paralyzed nephew’s wheelchair and leave him without the means to be out of bed and mobile and cause him to miss his once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see New York City and basically FUCK HIM OVER just so I could go to Disneyland. Yes. You caught me. Damn you for seeing through my nefarious scheme!

Which is amazing, because I’d thought I’d played it perfectly. I never actually slammed the airline! I just asked Twitter to help me find a customer service number. HOW CUNNING IS THAT? AND YOU STILL SAW THROUGH IT. GO YOU.

• Her Bad Mother January 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM #

Um, what free stuff have I obtained? Seriously, name one thing. And what trip did I go on without him? His Disney trip is scheduled for this spring.

• Her Bad Mother January 17, 2011 at 9:13 AM #

The bigger point, however: people who do not live with disabilities do not understand just how overwhelmingly difficult it can be to move about in a world that does not see them. How *hostile* it can feel, sometimes, to face a narrow aisle, or an inaccessible bathroom, or a set of stairs, or just one ignorant person rolling their eyes and saying SO? GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

And I say that as someone who doesn’t have a disability, who only has that experience when my nephew is in my care. The idea that that is his experience – that that is Anissa’s experience – all the time, it makes my heart ache.

That it doesn’t touch yours? Is sad.

• Amy January 17, 2011 at 4:09 PM #

Well, as someone who has actually known Pete and Anissa since long before there was a blog, I have to say that your characterization of them couldn’t be more wrong.

• Amanda January 17, 2011 at 6:33 PM #

well as someone who actually knows them, maybe you should encourage them to be more careful about what they’re putting out there.

• Molly January 17, 2011 at 9:41 AM #

Wow. So you’re telling my friend who had a stroke to get off her ass and hobble around the mattress store? Are you kidding me? Yeah, because instead of practicing walking in fucking rehab with professionals lets try to walk around the mattress store, create anxiety for the kids, and maybe possibly hurt ourselves? No freaking way. Don’t you get how damn frustrating this is for someone as independent as Anissa? Clearly you have no idea what she’s been through. Consider yourself lucky you’ve never had to deal with the shit she has.

and trust me, go read http://davehingsburger.blogspot.com/ and you Nasty Lisa, will have your damn head blown. He blogs about being in a wheelchair and the nastiness that people spew at him on a daily basis just because he’s in a wheelchair. In his most recent post he gets cursed out at the movies because some lady would rather put her bags in the spot meant for wheelchairs than let a freaking guy in a wheelchair sit there. Seriously? That’s the kind of shit that goes on for people in wheelchairs.

Screw you. Leave my friend alone and count your damn blessings that you’re walking on two feet today. You never know when the tides can turn and you too could be in a wheelchair. Think on that.

• Brian D. Shelton January 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM #

Wow!

Two things – First, call me old-fashioned, but name calling never solves anything. And, whatever happened to my grandma’s maxim, “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it at all?” The accusatory tone that Lisa used is what really struck me.

Lisa, I think your personal gripes have clearly tainted your ability to see anything objectively, or to see a situation as an independent, unique event. Are there folks out there who try to “make noise” in hopes of getting something for nothing. You bet. Are there also people out there who see something that could be better and want to help do something about it. Absolutely. But, NOT ONCE does Anissa make an assertion that she wants a free mattress or anything else. She simply wants the Mattress Firm to consider making their stores more accessible.

I also wonder about your interpretation of the title of Anissa’s post. No one literally said, “Suck it!” Any writer worth their salt knows that you write a headline to attract eyeballs and lead the reader to the meat of the story. I would say it worked, but based on your comments, I am not sure you DID read the rest of the post; If you did, you’d understand that Anissa was simply saying that based on the layout of the store, a patron in a wheelchair (NOT necessarily Anissa who MIGHT be able to “hobble around,” as you say) is not able to shop the store.

No demands for free stuff. No literal quotations from a store clerk. Just an engaging post highlighting the need for all companies to do a better job of making their stores more accessible.

But, I’d also like to address the “complain so you get free stuff “argument. As someone who manages global e-commerce operations for a company, my perspective is a little different. Any concern or grievance I receive is taken seriously. If there is a product quality issue, yes, often times we will send “free stuff” to the “complainant.” That’s just good business. In a case like this, we would send a response back, noting our appreciation for the open and honest feedback and open the door for additional dialogue AS WELL AS making sure the issue was brought up internally for discussion and possible resolution. In a case like this, we wouldn’t send “free stuff” because the “complaint” doesn’t warrant it. Discretion is up to the company, NOT the person “complaining.”

So, if you want to blame bloggers for “complaining so you get free stuff,” don’t. Blame the companies that just “send free stuff” as policy rather than treating each situation/complaint individually and deciding an appropriate course of action based on what it presented. There is no law that says a complaint automatically equals free stuff.

Brian D. Shelton´s last post…BREAKING- Haiti Rebuilt- Record Economic Growth Reported

• Christy January 17, 2011 at 11:56 AM #

I simply don’t understand who has the time to lurk around blogs making snarky comments. Go live your life.

For many bloggers, our blogs are the place we celebrate, speculate, dream, and rant. It’s an extension of our homes. If you don’t like what we have to say, don’t visit. We wouldn’t come to your house and tell you what to think and say. It’s one thing to have a healthy debate. It’s another to go around making other people unhappy simply because you’re bored and unfulfilled.

Christy´s last post…Crystal Bowersox- CES- and Unexpected Joys

• Kristin January 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM #

God, I hope this isn’t the case. I donated to the mattress cause, via another gal’s blog. I’m not sure where the fund level is at this point, but I’m sure it’s high enough that a good mattress is in her future.

• Anissa Mayhew January 17, 2011 at 7:07 PM #

The mattress was never my idea, it was done, completely unasked asked for. I can never thank each person enough who chose to get involved. Thank you for your generous heart!!

–Anissa

• Ginny January 17, 2011 at 12:19 PM #

Um….how do you know what Anissa can and can’t do? It’s not your place to decide whether or not she can/should ‘hobble’ around a store. Seriously?

• Kristen January 17, 2011 at 4:05 PM #

Lisa (or whomever she *really* is) is a bigoted, insecure, and obviously lonely person with too much time on her hands who resorts to picking on others to make herself feel better. She probably enjoys the negative attention she is getting from her post, because she probably gets no attention from anyone else. I’ll bet that if “Lisa” stood face to face with Anissa she’d never have the guts to say what she’s said in her anonymous post. I’ll also bet Anissa could kick Lisa’s ass without even leaving her wheelchair. Anissa was just trying to bring attention to a situation…and that’s all. Anissa has the right….and the OBLIGATION…to do so in order to make this world accessible. Perhaps the store manager did not even think of what he was doing wrong…and now maybe he knows. Just think of the GOOD Anissa is doing for others. Lisa has obviously never had to suffer loss of health or body movement….nor does she probably have kids (and if she does, I hope that they will someday break away from her teachings and find the true meaning of compassion). Anissa, you don’t know me but I am a friend of one of your friends whose daughter had leukemia when Peyton did, and I think you are awesome. Keep on doing what you are doing.

• Shirley January 17, 2011 at 6:34 PM #

Lisa:
      Your POINT is not realistic. They may have not TOLD her suck it, but their actions and response certainly did. She is not ” so immobile.”? Because this week-end, for the first time, with three!!!! adults helping her she made it up the stairs? A huge milestone, for which I am so thankful, and I know she is also. That does not equate to her ability to move around a store like that. Stop being so abrasive. REAlly STOP!! May you or those you love never have to endure something like this. She has a right to her anger.

• Jess January 17, 2011 at 11:22 PM #

I’m sorry but did you just stumble upon this blog today? Do you not understand the struggles that this family, or this woman alone, has gone through?
      I know that no sane or decent human being would come onto a personal website and tell them they should have “hobbled around the store” if they had ever read the blog or heard of the fight she goes through on a daily basis.

I’m sure at some point, you were a decent person but now you are just an ass.

• Amy January 18, 2011 at 12:45 AM #

Why would you even say this?

“My point is that you wrote this post to gather enough support for a Twitter campaign that might possibly net you some material good will from the Mattress store. Because donations aren’t enough. Because you CAN. Because even though there are a whole lot of people in a much worse situation than you, YOU CAN start a campaign and get free shit. Like HerBadMother, like others, who see any opportunity to slam a company as a way to get something for nothing. Washers, dryers, beds, Disney trips…..whatev.”

Seriously, why?

31. Redneck Mommy January 16, 2011 at 11:18 PM #

I feel your frustration from another point of view. As the parent of a son in a wheelchair. It constantly pisses me off when I find myself with Jumby in a store he can’t get into because they made no concessions to mobility issues for people in wheelchairs. I hope you have better luck than I did when I once complained about this very issue. The store owner blew me off and said that I could always just LEAVE MY SON AT HOME.

Fucker.

Redneck Mommy´s last post…Do I or Don’t I

• neeroc January 16, 2011 at 11:25 PM #

And you let him live?

What a jackass thing to say, I mean, obviously you’re just out for shits and giggles and want to inconvenience him.Really, the wheelchair’s just like a Segway right? And leaving your dependent child home is always the obvious choice.

neeroc´s last post…For the love of reading…or maybe it’s just the pretty pictures

32. Deb Rox January 16, 2011 at 11:17 PM #

So sorry for that crappy experience, but I’m glad you are sharing it to raise awareness to everyone that accessibility is the law for a reason, access is important to people.

33. Gena January 16, 2011 at 11:15 PM #

A lot of stores are more worried about selling than they are about who’s buying. I walk with a cane and sometimes cannot get thru parts of stores. I’m not very big but, with my disease, I have a wide, abnormal gait and have trouble ‘sliding’ past things but they tend to jam it all together, especially in the bedding and kitchen areas.

Sorry ADA, but people with disabilities want to do more than enter stores and use the bathroom. We still like to shop! I assure you there are stores that want our money and they’re the ones that will get it when we see your disregard for us!

Let me also say to commenter, Lisa, you should be ashamed of yourself. I pray you’re never in her condition because you obviously would never make it. She has been struggling for a long time to regain some of her life back. If she’s had help, it’s because of all those she has helped and the kindness of friends, family and strangers who care about her. Not because she is standing with her hand out, waiting to see what she’s getting for free today. Remember, GOD blesses 10 fold.

Anissa, keep up the good work. You’ve come a long way. Screw those who are so jealous of PR people that it turns them into IDIOTS!

Gena´s last post…Emily Needs Your Help Fighting Cancer

34. Lisa January 16, 2011 at 10:21 PM #

Oh c’mon, didn’t you just talk about how you walked up and down flights of stairs? And aren’t you getting donations for the bed? Why is it that “social media influencers” try to wield their influence to get more free stuff, more reactions? I’m so sick of this kind of stuff.

• neeroc January 16, 2011 at 11:06 PM #

Are you kidding? How is it possibly bad that she’s pointing out that this is an inaccessible store? And where did she say she was trying to get a free bed out of the deal? I think she said she was taking her business elsewhere.
      And? She’s healing and trying to get better, not up walking around stores.

• Christy January 16, 2011 at 11:10 PM #

Unfortunately, Anissa isn’t the ONLY person in a wheelchair who sleeps on a mattress. Her influence could actually help other people as well.

Christy´s last post…Crystal Bowersox- CES- and Unexpected Joys

• Maura January 16, 2011 at 11:11 PM #

I sincerely hope you never find yourself living with a wheelchair, then find people feel free to make snarky, flippant and hurtful comments about your expressions on dealing with it.

If you don’t agree that a store should make their wares available for all consumers, fine, say that, but you don’t have to be an utter bitch about it.

• Peter Mayhew January 16, 2011 at 11:39 PM #

Lady, and I use that term loosely, you’re a real piece of work.

In order to get up those stairs, it took 3 adults standing around my wife just in case she fell. Once at the top, she had to rest for 20 minutes before even attempting to go back down. All the while, our 3 kids are watching intently…these same 3 kids who haven’t been tucked in at night by their mom in almost a year and a half….take a guess as to why it’s a big deal.

It’s not a switch that’s flipped and she’s magically walking. 99% of her day is in her chair, one side not working. Try it for an hour….see how well you do.

Please just go away and keep your heartless, soulless opinions to yourself.

While you’re away, consider getting a clue.

Peter Mayhew´s last post…Milestones

• Janice January 18, 2011 at 9:53 AM #

Then Lisa, if you are sick of it, don’t read this blog (or for that matter any other blog that makes you “sick”). I’m amazed at how far Anissa has come but I’m equally amazed at people who think they have the need to post critical comments. I see it all the time in newspapers. Someone is badly injured or died and the ***’s come out of the woodwork to post ridiculous (and hurtful) comments about the person, their families and their dog as well. They, and you, haven’t a clue who this person is and what their needs are. It’s not cheap being disabled and it’s not cheap having to pay what I’m sure are high medical bills even if you have insurance so if someone with Sear’s big pockets wants to donate easily accessible washer and dryers so that Anissa can feel more “normal” in helping her family then what’s the big deal? Lisa, look at yourself in the mirror….do you like what you see?

As to the inaccessibility. I see it all the time in stores. I am not wheelchair bound but I can’t sometimes get by with just my carriage (or buggy in the south) and why do they put the diet soda on the top most shelf? To get me to get my stretching in?

• me January 26, 2011 at 6:56 AM #

Lisa,

If you are sick of “this kind of stuff” (aka “social media”), then why don’t you stop reading it?
      If you have *ever* been in a wheelchair, had mobility issues, or taken care of someone who has, you would spend a large portion of your life running into these issues.

Now, one store, one time, may not seem like a big deal, but if you spent your entire energy reserve for the day getting ready to go to this store, getting you, your kids, and your wheelchair and the associated paraphernalia into the car (which in itself is an exercise in both Tetris and frustration), and driving to the store. Where the thing you want to spend hundreds of dollars on, you can’t freaking try out. Unless you make a ginormous production of getting out of said wheelchair, with lots of help, and wasting that precious energy concentrating on going between beds instead of trying them?

Oh, and add in being embarassed about being the person who has to make a huge production of this. Because a couple of years ago this would have been something you did while in between herding kids and running errands? And your point today was to buy a freaking mattress, not play “everyone look at the handicapped woman”? And even as you are summing this up, you know damn well that you are not going to make it to another store today, because as it is you are exhausted from just getting here?

Now, multiply this by AT LEAST HALF of every place you go. Ever. Because a freaking ramp outside does not guarantee you anything. In a wheelchair, every venture out is a crapshoot.

Now, my whining friend, should Anissa have screamed at the mattress store employees, who already know they are fresh out of a commission? No. And she did not. She left, with her wallet. But she is pissed. Her husband? Pissed.

And where does everyone (including you, Lisa) come to vent all the crap that it is not socially acceptable to scream from a showroom floor, or a highway overpass? That’s right, the Internet.
      Last time I checked, twitter is not a mandatory part of the Windows OS. Also last time I checked, Anissa’s site did not have a virus that caused you not to be able to go to any other site.

You would do well to take a lesson from the millions of people who deal with a world that is not set up for them. Vote with your mouse and your wallet.

35. margalit January 16, 2011 at 10:15 PM #

Just be glad you don’t live in Boston where people often do not clear their sidewalks of snow, never mind the city that NEVER does the curb cuts. I am unable to leave my house from the first snow to the last melt. I’d be thrilled to get into a store, any store.

The Mattress Giant near me (also in a strip mall with a Panera), is bigger and I’m able to get thru the aisles no problem. It sounds like your store is overstocked or too small for it’s required inventory. Complain to corporate. That’s about all you can do.

margalit´s last post…Golden Globes

36. Cathy January 16, 2011 at 10:12 PM #

I think this totally sucks that they weren’t accomodating to begin with, but I also think you should contact them and give them a chance to make it right and rearrange their store, if they aren’t willing, then shout from the rooftops that they are assholes! And I’ll shout with you!

37. Cass January 16, 2011 at 9:26 PM #

I know. It sucks hard and it shouldn’t and those store owners/managers are oblivious assholes. I’m sorry.

Cass´s last post…Ho Ho Ho!

38. Mrs RW January 16, 2011 at 9:23 PM #

I would’ve made them carry me from bed to bed.

39. Dave2 January 16, 2011 at 9:18 PM #

When I read your tweet, I was pretty frickin’ furious. I understand that space may be limited when you’re selling something as big as mattresses, but if that were MY store and I was in that position and somebody in a wheelchair wanted to shop there? I would make it work. I would ask that person if there were any mattresses they wanted to try, then find a bed that was accessible… AND BRING EVERY MATTRESS THEY ASKED FOR TO THAT BED SO THEY COULD TRY IT. If they didn’t offer you that much, it’s pretty rotten. If Mattress Giant doesn’t respond to your letter with some kind of positive outlook for future wheelchair shoppers, then I hope you do your best to let everybody know. If they were in my town, I wouldn’t shop there, even though I am not in a wheelchair and have the luxury of doing so.

40. Laurita Olmstead January 16, 2011 at 9:13 PM #

When I worked at Cracker Barrel we were told the same thing the isles wide enough for a Wheel Chair to go through. You should contact there home office.

41. Adrielle January 16, 2011 at 9:11 PM #

There are so many non-wheelchair friendly places where i live! It sucks! There is even one major supermarket that I can’t fit through the checkouts of… Have to ask staff to unlock a special wide gate -.-. It’s always a hassle (and a little embarrassing) so I stopped going there :p

42. Laurita Olmstead January 16, 2011 at 9:11 PM #

When I worked at Cracker Barrel we were told the same thing. According to ADA the isles are suppose to wide enough for a Wheel Chair to go through.

43. Lori Vann January 16, 2011 at 9:06 PM #

When I worked at the department store (in California) we were told that the aisles throughout our store had to be at least 36″ wide per ADA law. I go into stores now and wonder how they can get away with the skinny aisles they have! I don’t shop with a wheelchair, but do with a stroller and it’s difficult with the stroller and that’s not as wide as wheelchair. Where is this store? The one by Panera may be better (at least it seemed it last time we were in there). You can also look @ Knox Furniture in our little downtown. love you!

Lori Vann´s last post…Project 354…Day 5 &amp 6 – Family!

• Lori Vann January 16, 2011 at 9:07 PM #

ok, looking @ the photos again, you maybe at the one by Panera. I think there is a mattress store by Home Depot (over on the side by Anna’s)……….and then there is always Rooms to Go!

Lori Vann´s last post…Project 354…Day 5 &amp 6 – Family!

• Anissa Mayhew January 16, 2011 at 9:13 PM #

I’m at the one right beside Paneras.

I bought my chair at Knox’s, they were great. I’m going back!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. You And I Were Meant To Fly, And, Also Tweet - Her Bad Mother - January 19, 2011

[...] this week, a friend of mine wrote a post about feeling slighted by a retail store – a store selling mattresses, specifically – that was inaccessible to her in her [...]

2. Tweets that mention where people in wheelchairs are told, “SUCKIT!” | #FreeAnissa -- Topsy.com - January 16, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Anissa Mayhew, suebob, JennaFarelyn and others. JennaFarelyn said: oh honey. Im sorry, SO GLAD u wrote tho @AnissaMayhew: I WROTE THIS: where people in wheelchairs are told, "SUCKIT!" – http://bit.ly/gMSVUk [...]