my gal friday

I have searched for ways of making my kids FEEL more together.

Part was being able to get someone who could drive and do it when we needed it most.

The cost more than our family cutting a few corners.

I guess there are those that would judge me for getting what basically comes down to a nanny when we struggle as it is.

The answer is pretty simple.

There is no price too high, no sacrifice too great, nothing that can’t be done when the needs of our kids are on the line.

They are trying.

Hard.

I will work just as hard to make things work.

I don’t want this handicap to keep my son from being in soccer.

This wheelchair won’t be what stops my girls from being Girl Scouts.

(Mom’s need to hoard Thin Mints might, though)

It just feels that my kids have paid the price too long.

So yes.

We brought in someone who can help me do all the things it takes two arms and two legs to do.

Probably one of the most important things.

Drive.

28 Responses to my gal friday

1. Mary@Everyday Baby Steps March 1, 2011 at 12:30 AM #

So glad you decided to do what you need to do for yourself and your family. No need to justify that, woman!

Mary@Everyday Baby Steps´s last post…We Survived Our First Slumber Party With Orville!

2. Wendy February 28, 2011 at 9:39 PM #

This has nothing to do with your post, but… I just read that Ralph Macchio is going to be on Dancing With The Stars, and had to come over here to make sure you knew! :)

3. Colleen February 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM #

If I lived near you, it would be an honor to help out!

• Anissa Mayhew February 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM #

I would take you up on that offer too!

Thanks so much, I know you mean it!

4. Sharon Heg February 28, 2011 at 5:56 PM #

If you absolutely, positively couldn’t, you wouldn’t. But if you can, even if it means cutting corners and doing without, for the sake of what you will then be able to DO, then it’s worth it. Other peoples’ priorities and values don’t matter. GOOD for you! Hey, do you think you could give me a ride to…

Sharon Heg´s last post…Finding the Humor in Colonoscopies

5. schmutzie February 28, 2011 at 5:54 PM #

I would never criticize your decision to get a nanny just as I wouldn’t criticize your need of a wheelchair. Your kids are lucky to have parents that want so much for them and work as hard as you do to make it possible.

schmutzie´s last post…Sex- The Devils Instrument That Leads To Dancing

6. ThePeachy1 February 28, 2011 at 5:45 PM #

Niss, there will never be a time when any one on this planet can question your love and dedication to those kids. Anyone who has met them knows they are warriors each in their own way. Part Pete, Part you, and totally unique. They have been through more in their young lives than most adults will ever experience. So if bringing in a little help is what makes it all happen then do it. I regret I do not live close enough. Lord knows you chauffeured my tribe around when I needed back up. It would be my honor.

7. Nancy [Fear and Parenting in Las Vegas] February 28, 2011 at 3:49 PM #

Good for you. Having someone else drive will free your arms to whack them when they start fighting in the backseat.

• Anissa Mayhew February 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM #

You’re on to my master plan!!

8. pam February 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM #

You know people probably will say stupid things about this but I say you do whatever it is you need to make and keep your family happy, healthy and strong. And please do it without a twinge of regret or unease!

pam´s last post…Wordless Wednesday

9. marathonmom February 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM #

You GO Brave Girl!

marathonmom´s last post…The Mother Runner Playlist

10. allison February 28, 2011 at 12:41 PM #

De-lurking: I would donate to help out with the clearly much-needed nanny, and I would donate a smack in the head to anyone who said a word against it. Wish I could help.

allison´s last post…Narcissistic is the New Insightful- Cranky Book Review

• Anissa Mayhew February 28, 2011 at 6:32 PM #

I wish you knew how much that meant to me.

11. Penbleth February 28, 2011 at 10:31 AM #

You have set in place a practical solution to a practical problem. You have no need to explain or justify to anyone how as a family you deal with family things. If others think differently sod them. They should be glad you are taking care of your family.

Penbleth´s last post…Silent Sunday – Signs of Spring Edition

12. CJ February 28, 2011 at 10:00 AM #

You do what you have to do and don’t let anyone come down on you for it!

13. Jasmine Robertson February 28, 2011 at 9:18 AM #

Congrats!!! You are an amazing woman and you are doing what is important and that is putting your kids and you families needs first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who cares what anyone else thinks!! You are a rock star!!!!!!!!

• Jasmine Robertson February 28, 2011 at 9:20 AM #

Sorry about all of the exclamation points – big storms came through our area last night and I am all hopped up on coffee and no sleep!!!

(See I did it again) trying to stop seriously……..

• Anissa Mayhew February 28, 2011 at 6:32 PM #

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kind of like them!

14. DefendUSA February 28, 2011 at 7:25 AM #

It’s nobody else’s business that you want a Nanny and money is tight. When you can look yourself in the mirror and know you are right, eff every one who dares to question your judgment.

My mother’s favorite saying is to get rid of the gift that keeps on giving. Guilt.

15. Becky @TheVioletFig February 28, 2011 at 6:15 AM #

I can’t imagine who would judge you! Congratulations!

Becky @TheVioletFig´s last post…Mars Needs Moms giveaway!

• Anissa Mayhew February 28, 2011 at 6:33 PM #

There are always those out there.

xoxox

16. MFA Mama February 28, 2011 at 12:25 AM #

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Haters gonna hate either way ;)

MFA Mama´s last post…YAY- GARDENING!!!

17. Rose February 27, 2011 at 11:46 PM #

I think it’s awesome that you’re doing this. No judgement here.

Rose´s last post…Meet Me On Monday – 22711

18. Amy February 27, 2011 at 11:21 PM #

It’s hard to imagine there are those who would judge you harshly. I’ve followed your story from the day of your stroke when @laughmom sent some tweets about her friend. I read each of Peter’s posts and went through many tissues. I prayed for your family. What you and Peter and your children have accomplished in the last 15 months is nothing short of amazing!

We all struggle with different stuff. Most of it’s not as serious as your stuff. Some of it is. Very few display the grace, dignity, faith and humor that you and your family do. You are a fine example to us all!

19. Amanda February 27, 2011 at 10:38 PM #

So glad to hear it. Best of luck.

Amanda´s last post…Limbo

20. Kim February 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM #

Good for you lady. This is what it is all about, doing what is best for our kids and our families. Anyone who judges you can suck it.

• Anissa Mayhew February 28, 2011 at 6:34 PM #

Nail, meet Head!

Head, meet Nail!!

21. Catherine February 27, 2011 at 10:13 PM #

Good choice. You’re teaching them a lesson about a different kind of drive.