reflections in the pool

A a trip to the pool at the YMCA.

I sat waiting for a family shower room to open up.

The door finally opened.

A mother with her daughter exited the room.

There was no staring, which was pretty weird as far I was concerned.

Until dad came out.

In his wheelchair.

Both arms working fine but no leg movement I could see.

A different chair than I had.

A different experience.

But I saw something in his face.

The secret handshake.

The reflection.

Recognition that goes beyond the face.

To the part that changed.

With him needs no explanation.

, ,

8 Responses to reflections in the pool

1. Coal Miner's Granddaughter February 10, 2011 at 10:53 AM #

You should totally do a chin-nod to fellow wheelchair users. With sort of a “Yeah, we’re bad, we know it” kind of expression on your faces.

Coal Miner’s Granddaughter´s last post…A Love Letter For Egypt

2. Jennifer February 10, 2011 at 10:04 AM #

Reminds me of how motorcyclists seem to have a secret hand signal they all use when they pass each other on the road.

3. jessica February 9, 2011 at 12:37 PM #

God, amazing, just amazing

jessica´s last post…Single Mom Walki…Make that Sliding

4. jessica February 9, 2011 at 12:34 PM #

ok, did my comment not go through?Well, I’m doing it again, just in case. Anissa, you really are an amazing writer is right.

This was so powerful.

5. jessica February 9, 2011 at 12:32 PM #

my God What a powerful piece.

jessica´s last post…Single Mom Walki…Make that Sliding

6. Julia Roberts February 9, 2011 at 7:58 AM #

I don’t know what to say except maybe I understand a little. For us (with the kids’ issues), I always feel better when I share those glances with people who know exactly what we are going through. But it is so true that it does feel like a secret handshake.

Julia Roberts´s last post…Comment on Class Assignment by Tammy

7. Catch the Kids February 9, 2011 at 6:17 AM #

Wow Anissa. I have been cackling through all these other funny, Irreverent pieces in my reader tonight ( I’ve cackled many times at yours too). Then I opened this post and was floored. Totally. I’m sitting here with very damp eyes. Such a powerful piece. You are an amazing writer.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention reflections in the pool | #FreeAnissa -- Topsy.com - February 9, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Anissa Mayhew and Anissa Mayhew, JennaFarelyn. JennaFarelyn said: RT @AnissaMayhew: I WROTE THIS : reflections in the pool – http://freeanissa.com/WW [...]