very tiny movements

It’s hard to explain.

We’ll see if I can.

IMAGINE you’re holding a balloon and, using your imagination, you can see yourself lifting your arm and letting go.

Now VIZUALIZE that balloon.

VISUALIZE it’s going to make you lift your arm and VISUALIZE letting go of the balloon.

It takes a different part of your brain to imagine movement and to visualize it.

I could imagine that my wrist is moving

I couldn’t make my mind visualize it.

It never moved.

Then the other night.

Just before bed, I felt it.

Then I saw it.

In my mind a different movement.

And I put my weak right wrist in the palm of the left.

And I told it to move.

I sent every bit of energy I could to my wrist.

I could visualize for the first time.

I visualized it moving.

Move.

MOVE.

MOVE,

I felt a twitch where there had never been twitches before.

I yelled for Peter.

It twitched again.

I could make it twitch on command.

His grin said it all.

A muscle that hadn’t moved in over a year had moved.

It’s moved every day since then.

I keep moving it.

It’s a very tiny movement but it’s movement.

35 Responses to very tiny movements

1. Leslie February 22, 2011 at 5:41 PM #

How in the hell did I miss this? Good news, indeed!

Leslie´s last post…Well now

2. Cecilia February 19, 2011 at 1:28 AM #

Congrats that is huge! My 2 year old is a stroke survivor. This last week she has been examining her left hand A LOT. Your post really made me think about what must be going through her mind.

3. Annie from Oregon February 13, 2011 at 5:53 PM #

I just stopped in for a quick moment (on my way to town) and I burst into tears as I read! HUGE!
    Just so overwhelming!! I thought: Praise God “for we (you) are fearfully and wonderfully made”. He controls everything. Your faith, your muscle, your circumstance, everything. Thankfully, He works with quarks and quirks! (and you are in there somewhere =o) I am thrilled for you and just know — prayers will continue to lift both you and your hand UP! Happy, Happy Valentine’s Day – God loves you so much! Love and prayers, Annie

4. CoffeeJitters February 12, 2011 at 6:29 PM #

you know coaches and other know it alls like to talk about visualizing your end goal, but sometimes it all sounds like a lot of hooey.

then you come along, and suddenly it makes perfect sense.

congratulations

CoffeeJitters´s last post…Dear Gem – Month 22

5. IzzyMom February 12, 2011 at 3:13 PM #

I always knew this day would come. CONGRATULATIONS! XOXO

6. Penbleth February 12, 2011 at 1:23 PM #

This is so fabulous. What great news. Here’s to more and more movement.

Penbleth´s last post…Actually- I WOULD like to know- thank you very much

7. mommabird2345 February 12, 2011 at 11:52 AM #

Yay! I’m so excited for you! You are awesome!

8. Angella February 12, 2011 at 10:55 AM #

YAY!!!! This totally made my morning. :)

Angella´s last post…There Is A Season

9. Jasmine Robertson February 12, 2011 at 10:27 AM #

Congrats! How exciting!!!

10. Kathykate February 12, 2011 at 9:32 AM #

Sending wristful happy thoughts to all your movements!

Kathykate´s last post…Dear Lady Flipping Off My Drivers Ed Kid

11. Amy Hillis February 11, 2011 at 11:07 PM #

That. Is. Awesome.

12. Kristin February 11, 2011 at 11:05 PM #

Woot woot…oh my God Anissa, I am so thrilled for you.

Kristin´s last post…Projects Galore or can I have more time

13. Stacey February 11, 2011 at 9:47 PM #

I’ve been reading for awhile, but don’t know if I’ve ever commented. Today I feel like I need to chime in with Woohoo! I’m so happy for your great news!

Stacey´s last post…Every Goodbye

14. Melissa-Shrinking Jeans February 11, 2011 at 8:53 PM #

WOOOOOOT! So awesome! Keep it up!

Melissa-Shrinking Jeans´s last post…you capture… cold

15. Joan February 11, 2011 at 8:36 PM #

LOVE this! I’m thrilled for you.

16. Twenty Four At Heart February 11, 2011 at 8:16 PM #

That’s so exciting and uplifting! Really, it made my day to read this! I have dreams where my arm works again … where I’m using it normally and it doesn’t hurt. Then I wake up though and it was just a dream. Maybe someday! xo

Twenty Four At Heart´s last post…Hollywood!

17. MFA Mama February 11, 2011 at 7:37 PM #

AWESOMESAUCE! That’s excellent news, and yeah, it may be tiny now but anything at ALL is HUGE! YAAAAAAY ANISSA!!!

MFA Mama´s last post…ribs- chicken- and other misbehavior

18. Desera February 11, 2011 at 7:31 PM #

I am thrilled for you!!!! that is so exciting and amazing! You are rocking it out! ♥

19. Suebob February 11, 2011 at 7:27 PM #

Here’s the technical explanation: the squirrel that lives in your brain found a new path to take his acorn from one part of your body to the other. Smart squirrel! You’re welcome.

Suebob´s last post…Full of Fabulous

20. Becky February 11, 2011 at 7:25 PM #

That is amazing! Go Anissa!

21. Diane February 11, 2011 at 7:22 PM #

Way to go, Anissa! Did you cry? ‘Cause I just teared up reading that.

22. Linda Kish February 11, 2011 at 7:16 PM #

That is so exciting. congratulations. Keep up the good work.

23. Sara G February 11, 2011 at 7:12 PM #

Woohoo! Way to go! I love moments like this even if tiny. So happy for you! I hope to go back to therapy in a few weeks but so thankful we can have our own therapy at home and see progress!

Sara G´s last post…A Husbands Love

24. Kevin February 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM #

That is a HUGE tiny movement! Congratulations! Another step in the right direction! I’m thrilled for you!

Kevin´s last post…All In Just A Few Short Hours

25. Heather of the EO February 11, 2011 at 7:01 PM #

I don’t even have words. They all sound kinda trite at the moment.
    Like SQUEEE or WOOT or wooo hoooo or awesome!
    But I mean them all. :)

26. Caroline February 11, 2011 at 6:58 PM #

CHEERING CHEERING CHEERING!!!!!!!!! (And I’m wearing my Team Anissa shirt right now WITHOUT a bra. What better way to cheer for you, no? Much love.)

Caroline´s last post…I Bee Proud

27. Sharon Heg February 11, 2011 at 6:56 PM #

Woo HOO!!! (I’m an O.T. – I love stuff like that!)

Sharon Heg´s last post…I’ve Fallen &amp I Can’t Get Up!

28. katie | motherbumper February 11, 2011 at 6:56 PM #

BIG SMILE! Now could you visualize a million dollars…?

katie | motherbumper´s last post…Kids Renaissance- Week 5

29. Mazarine February 11, 2011 at 6:50 PM #

Dear Anissa,

I was sad today. You just made me so happy. And so grateful to read your words.

Mazarine

30. The Domestic Goddess February 11, 2011 at 6:49 PM #

OH HELLS YEAH!

The Domestic Goddess´s last post…Few and Far Between but Just as Special Every Time

31. buffi February 11, 2011 at 6:41 PM #

Happiest thing I have read all day!

buffi´s last post…Snowpocolypse 2011- One Moms Chronicle

32. ThePittsofBeingPeachy February 11, 2011 at 6:40 PM #

I love you so much right now. Awesome job of explaining it. Go Nissa ! Your a rock star!
    (since my left wrist is going out, ONE of us has to be able to open the liquor bottle !)

ThePittsofBeingPeachy´s last post…Where the hell is Cee Lo when you need him

33. TheNextMartha February 11, 2011 at 6:39 PM #

Amazing and wonderful.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention very tiny movements | #FreeAnissa -- Topsy.com - February 11, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Anissa Mayhew, Tiffany and JuliaRoberts1, ThePeachy1. ThePeachy1 said: I present to u proof Dr's don't know everything aka 1 tuff chick RT @AnissaMayhew: I WROTE THIS: very tiny movements – http://bit.ly/ewpOqJ [...]